How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember if I saw the pics of Hot Toys Loki on TFW2005 or Tumblr, but wherever I saw them I knew I had to buy him. So I scrimped for a couple of months to be able to afford the pre-order, and then patiently waited a year for him. I told myself he was the only Hot Toys figure I'd ever need...and then they announced Coulson. With a *facepalm* and many excuses in my head, I bought him too. Okay, I said, enou- oooh that Captain America Rescue Version is nice!

Repeat ad nauseum until I end up destitute, living in a box on the streets...with only my 1/6 fellas for company. It's the new 21st century of being a crazy cat lady, right?

I can't remember if I saw the pics of Hot Toys Loki on TFW2005 or Tumblr, but wherever I saw them I knew I had to buy him. So I scrimped for a couple of months to be able to afford the pre-order, and then patiently waited a year for him. I told myself he was the only Hot Toys figure I'd ever need...and then they announced Coulson. With a *facepalm* and many excuses in my head, I bought him too. Okay, I said, enou- oooh that Captain America Rescue Version is nice!

Repeat ad nauseum until I end up destitute, living in a box on the streets...with only my 1/6 fellas for company. It's the new 21st century of being a crazy cat lady, right?

:)

I'd actually been following Hot Toys for a while but I had always thought they were out of my price range. I then got to a point where I was spending like £30 on a rare Marvel Legend figure, or paying £20 just for a newly released one. I decided to skip buying a series of Marvel Legends in favour of buying a Hot Toys X-Men Origins Wolverine I found on eBay for about £110. I thought that if this figure looks as good as it does in the photos having 1 super accurate Wolverine is better than have 6 small plastic things. I got him, I loved him and then the next figure I bought was Blade from Blade II, I had no idea about pre-orders at this time and ended up buying him when he was instock off an eBay seller who I subsequently pre-ordered figures like Abigail Whistler, Iron Man II Black Widow, Mark IV, War Machine and so on until now. I think I was very lucky when I started collecting because I got two of the best figures for less than retail as my first figures, Wolverine and Blade.

stumbled on these by accident... out of bordom!! chain of events ----> watching face off / sci fi---> looked up some youtube vids of seeing molds made-----> saw iron man costume some guy was making full scale----> just browsing ebay to see what people sold them for ---> saw ad for full avengers set for like $7000!!! ---> wondered WTF that was all about----> searched google on them ---> bought a mark VII and now i'm screwed! DAM FACE OFF!!!!!!!!

I heard and saw Hot Toys figures a year or two ago, but because of how expensive they were, I never figured I'd ever collect them. Then about less than year ago, my wife and I were watching this show about collection addiction or whatever. One guy featured had a bunch of Hot Toys and my wife was amazed at the detail and said she liked those a lot better than the Transformers I was collecting. Since then I've been selling TFs in piece meal to fund Hot Toys.

I heard and saw Hot Toys figures a year or two ago, but because of how expensive they were, I never figured I'd ever collect them. Then about less than year ago, my wife and I were watching this show about collection addiction or whatever. One guy featured had a bunch of Hot Toys and my wife was amazed at the detail and said she liked those a lot better than the Transformers I was collecting. Since then I've been selling TFs in piece meal to fund Hot Toys.

That wasn't the episode with SeanxLong, was it? I remember someone accusing the show afterwards of faking the whole thing...

I made my first purchase when I saw the Hot Toys MMS 200 Man of Steel. I've been waiting on the figure now for about 6 month and I already have on hand 10 other 1/6th figures.

That wasn't the episode with SeanxLong, was it? I remember someone accusing the show afterwards of faking the whole thing...

I dont know to be honest. I do know that show was a crock in that they staged a good portion of it to make you believe the collectors actually sold or got rid of a lot of their collection.

I started collecting toys around the time Star Wars was making a comeback. I was probably 14 and just read the Thrawn trilogy of books by Timothy Zhan(sp?). I think that's when SW figures started coming back out(don't know if any of you remember "buff" Luke). From there it went to Transformers, Spawn and wrestling figures.

After years without a purchase and letting my nephews destroy most I what I had, I was going into a comic store as I usually did and stumbled upon a 13" Green Lantern from Dc Direct and once again the venom of collecting had penetrated my soul. I couldn't buy all of them, but slowly acquired my favorites whenever I could. I loved 1/6 scale as they reminded me of my brother original GI Joes.

Shortly thereafter, I stumbled upon Sideshow and watched helplessly as all these gorgeous Hot Toys figures were coming out of my favorite comic book movies but couldn't fathom spending so much on an action figure. Years went by and my financial situation improved. Que Man of Steel...I could no longer resist. I preordered that the first day I could(after stalking SSC wondering WHERE ARE YOU!!). Then, preordered Thor: TDW light asgardian armor....and then Jor El, and Zod, The Mandarin and the Dark Knight Armory all while buying off eBay Iron Man Mark IV, Avengers Cap and TFA Red Skull. I still refuse to pay what some people try and charge on eBay, but when ya find a good deal, ya gotta grab it.

I hope to only keep it to comic book movies as I've always loved comics and as a kid never dreamed we'd get all these amazing movies, but it gets harder every day to resist. And this forum certainly doesn't help in that regard ;)

I've been collecting action figures since I was a kid but I didn't know Hot Toys even existed until two-three months ago. I was just doing a random google search for Loki and this picture pops up. At first glance I thought it was an actual picture of Tom Hiddleston but when I looked closer I realized it was a action figure. I started doing research and shortly after that I purchased my first Hot Toy Loki! I am very much hooked now, the detail is just amazing on him! My next one I have to say will probably be Jake Sully from Avatar. I'm an Avatar fan to the extreme so I need it for my collection along with that beautiful EPF Neytiri!!!

Loved Two-Face in Dark Knight movie and bought this figure thinking it's maybe 12 or 15 inches tall.
batman-dark-knight-movie-masters-figure-set-joker-batman-survival-suit-bruce-harvey-dent-and-two.jpg
I bought it from Amazon but I was so so naive and didn't look for the size in the description.

After I received the two face shipment and the initial shock from the size I went back to Amazon to see if they make larger figures, I found an 11" Solid Snake from Play Arts.. and the rest is history.

Quite interesting thread this...I've enjoyed reading through it! Here's my 'story'!!

As a long time Lord of the Rings collector the Sideshow Lord of the Rings figures were the first 1/6 line I collected back in 2006/7, got all the ones released...but sadly a complete Fellowship was not to be :( so I moved onto the Sideshow Star Wars line.

I went on a 'Collection break' in early 2009 as I had too much stuff and there were issues with the security of my job so I stopped collecting altogether. Got the collecting bug back though in late 2012 :slap, promising myself I would stick to the LotR/Hobbit Polystone lines only I stopped collecting all 1/6 figures and even sold off a lot of the Star Wars ones.....so that was the end, until....

October 2013, walking past Forbidden Planet, in the window I noticed some figures (they were Hot Toys :)) from a franchise I had recently become interested in...The Avengers. I had always liked the Hot Toys figures, as the detail and sculpts are just amazing, but never really thought I'd be able to afford to collect them...so despite my vow not to collect any more lines I came back that day with the HT Loki figure (which I'd been looking at and wanted for a while after seeing it on this board!). Trying to stick to the Avengers franchises, although I have pre-ordered the Batman Armoury set as I really like it. As most collectors know it is so easy to get carried away with this hobby, so I'm trying to stay disciplined...but it is hard! :gah: Hot Toys figures are just great, (even my parents like them :lol) and so my journey back into the world of 1/6 is definitely back on and probably won't be ending any time soon (touch wood)! :D

I was always more of a standard action figure collector, though I did get interested in Hasbro's 12 inch Star Wars line, which, by todays standard are a joke. It was Sideshows Star Wars 1/6 line that got me hooked though, and I gradually phased out my action figure collection, and I've been slowly building a fairly large Sideshow and Hot Toys collection over the last few years.

I still collect certain action figures, mostly Masters of the Universe Classics, and some DC Collectables figures (mostly Batman related), and a few Play Arts Kai figures, but I really don't see myself going back from 1/6 scale, even though recently I've dipped my foot into the 1/4 scale pool with the Star Wars Mythos line.

I guess its my nostalgia 12 Inch Mego figures I owned 4 over the years(Hulk,Captain America,Paul Stanley and Peter Criss)They've all since been sold along with my other 1/6.I got back in the game with Hot Toys Hulk he's alway been my favorite some day I'll track down Mego Hulk again.

Came across a picture of hot toys sgt barnes from platoon and was chasing the dragon ever since.

My friend got into buying Medicom SSJ Goku 5 years ago then 5 years later I have about 70 Hot Toys figures about 25 medicom figures.

Back