How did you become a 1/6 scale figure collector?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah yeah..... like thats the first time we've heard that one...

Welcome to the um.... Forum.

Internet%20Addiction%201.gif
:lol Yeah. Truthfully though I put in my first pre-order (DX11 Joker) back in June. Thus far those figures are all I've got/pre-ordered. It's still kind of a lot but they've been pretty well spread out. With as expensive as they are I'm really trying to limit myself. I'm mostly going for Nolan Batman as evidenced by my purchasing history.

There are a few characters I'll probably get or would like to eventually that fall outside of that particular line (DX07 Luke, DX05 Indiana Jones, Predators: Classic Predator, and at least one Iron Man). Other than that though I'll try and control myself. :lol

Last edited:
When I started collecting, money was a big issue...

When your on the outside looking in, any person who spends $500 on a doll ~ is a freakin loser.

I was into Mcfarlane toys, as my collection grew and spending increased with buying multiple figures, you get desensitized slowly into spending more. As I collected different celebrities, I noticed I didn't have a Bruce Lee.

Did a search and found the grail of all grails... Enterbay WOD. It was at about $400 at that time. When it came I was almost in tears, I thought I made the biggest mistake ever, and felt like a total idiot because I thought the fig didn't look as good in person, and I had no idea what futzing was...

Then days later after setting up the figure... I got the disease and have had it ever since.

Last count.... over $17,000 worth of toys sold on Ebay.

It's important to keep your collection current~
It's important to dump figures at the right time~
Most of all, never buy a figure you have sold before, I regret it every time.

My collection was just "reborn" ~ all I have is DX04,05,10,11
and a NECA 1/4 gollum

For me it was about a year ago when I came across pictures of the Hot Toys Jack Sparrow. I had to have it.......then it was the Batman Keaton, Superman Reeve, Classic Predator, Origins Wolverine. Most recently just got my Joker 2.0, Enterbay 1/4 Joker and next will be the Enterbay 1/4 Terminator battle damaged.

I saw a pic of the HT '89 Batmobile on the interwebs a few weeks ago and pre-ordered it on a whim. Suddenly I have a Tumbler, '89 Bats and Nicholson Joker. I feel like I've developed a crack habit.

Originally I had several Action Man figures in the sixties, that's our version of G.I. Joe, then time passes and I keep seeing these amazing Hot Toy figures, I resisted up until the release of CA:TFA, had to get it, Cap is my favourite hero, which is why I'll get every version of him and other favourite movie characters.

I became a 1/6 colector after searching the web for a cool looking Heath Ledger Joker figure in 2009.

I then discovered the DX01 and preirdered instantly.
Then I needed a Bats for the waiting time so I ordered the MMS Dark Knight.

That figure got me so hooked that I owned around nine or ten figures when the DX01 arrived...

You know the rest! ;)

I'm not a 1/6 collector. I collect memorabilia from movies I love. In many ways, I waited close to 20 years for 1/6 to catch up to what I felt was a high enough standard for me to be able to display and say "yes, this is what I saw on screen".

With the release of the HT Godfather, they finally did, and so, I've been lucky enough to finally be able to collect scale figurines that I find simply amazing. :)

Edit: HT Robocop, ED-209, Crow and Iminime's GBU trio, and I think I'm done. Unless there's a good Beetlejuice or Barbossa, or an Indiana Jones that actually looks like Harrison Ford in the works, I neither need nor want anything else. :)

Last edited:
By accident!

:exactly:

I didn't start out looking to get in to just 1/6. My first was probably a G.I. Joe back in the 60s, and I had others throughout the late 60s and 70s (Six Million Dollar Man, The Lone Ranger and Silver, the Marx Sir Stuart (Silver Knight) and his Horse), but it didn't really matter to me what size they were as long as it was something that I was interested in. Like the original Star Wars figures, comic book stuff, the 70s Planet of the Apes figures. Then, I stopped collecting figures for a long time (mostly due to lack of money once I was on my own). In the 90s I got back in to collecting figures, but again, size was not the issue. About 10 years ago I sold at least 1/2 of the 6" and smaller figures off (comic book figs, Aliens, Predator), but kept the ones I really liked (the Universal Monsters, Danger Girl). Got back into 1/6 (or close to it) thanks to Disney's The Little Mermaid (I know... don't laugh. I've been obsessed with mermaids since Junior High when I took a "Mythology" class, so I absolutely love that movie). I can't even count how many Ariel figures I have, and of course at least one of each of the Disney "Princesses", and some Barbie mermaids too. Got back in to more "serious" 1/6 when Hasbro came out with their classic Planet of the Apes line (couldn't believe it that someone finally made my favorite actor, in my favorite role of his -- Charlton Heston). Then, of course, I discovered Sideshow when they put out their Planet of the Apes line. Got some of the James Bond SS figs, and others from other companies (Steed & Mrs. Peel, The Old Man & Ralphie from A Christmas Story). But then I got out again for nearly a decade (once again due to lack of funds). Just recently got back in thanks to the high quality of the the likenesses (the first ones I pre-ordered were Avengers Black Widow and TDKR Selina Kyle). Just thinking about some of my favorite movies and doing Google searches led me to other companies (Enterbay, DID, etc.) and some of their figures. So now, once again due to cost, I'm selective about what I get. I'm not interested in robots or robot-like (IM), and thanks to the last 3 Star Wars movies -- which totally sucked -- I've lost almost all interest in that franchise (still holding out for a great Han Solo from the first movie, and a Slave Leia). I like figures that look like the actor that played them, or generic figures that can then be turned into something original. I don't care who puts them out as long as they look good (like the Asmus Toys LOTR line). I like the female bodies that Phicen is doing, also. For as short a time as I've been back in this, I've already found myself moving toward a middle ground of straight collecting to custom/kitbashing.

I was always into action figures growing up: Star Wars, He-Man, GI Joe, Ghostbusters, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors...etc.

It wasn't unti College that I started getting into action figures again. I was going to school full time and working full time. I lived at home at the time so I always had money to burn...

I started buying the McFarlane Movie Masters series. I loved all the horror movie stars, Terminators, and Predators. I also started collecting the newer Star Wars figures. Luckily I found a woman who accepted my nerdiness.

It wasnt until The Dark Knight came out that I purchased the 13" DC Direct Batman and Joker. I thought the idea of a larger figure with actual clothes was great.

I then started looking into SSC and HT more. I then bought every Dark Knight HT figure that came out. Then the MMS117 Arnold Terminator.

It's been all downhill ever since. My wife is understanding of my collection addiction.:lol My kids love it.

It is a hobby that can get out of hand quickly and I need to be selective in what I buy. I have to really love it before I decide to drop alot of coin on it.

I had literally been collecting since I was a kid. The old Kenner Batman figure, toybiz X-Men then later with a lot of the Neca and McFarlane horror figures. I remember my father asking me when I was going to grow out of this stuff. :lol I grew up in a blue collar Irish family where all the males were sports fanatics. I hated sports, still do. All I wanted to do was read, draw, play guitar and buy toys. It was a *****. :lol Anyway my first 1/6 figures were the early Sideshow Universal Monster and Jason/Freddy figures. I had almost all of them but I didn't really consider myself as a 1/6 collector. They were like novelties I guess. I was aware of Hot Toys but I felt very 'meh' about them. It wasn't until I saw this that I seriously started to get into it.

Then I saw this.

Conversion began. :lol

Last edited:
It started with me being a Stallone fan.I had action figures from Rocky,then introduced to HT when i saw their Rocky figures.
From there i have had a little bit of everything.

right now,im trying to get out and just keep a few of my favourites.Boy is it a pain in the *** to try to sell so many figures:lol

Hot Toys Iron Man LOL!!!

Actually the Tony Stark eating a donut on Flickr did it. Before then I looked at 1/6 figures and thought they looked so frigging goofy, with a pin-headed giraffe-neck head on an awkward body. Hot Toys changed my mind.

Back