Hot Toys Tokyo Expo Guesses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah he does, I think he even got paid for each consecutive film. I remember reading that he was on the set of Batman Returns and people were joking that he was getting a paycheck without even having to star in the film.

He also has a huge chunk of the merchandise profits from 1989 till now. Pretty crazy.

Not really crazy, he's Jack ____ing Nicholson.:wink1:

I've also heard it told that Jack Nicholson gets a percent of EVERY Batman figure sold, not just him as the Joker. But EVERY Batman, neon movie tie ins to 12" figures. I don't know if that is true since it seems too good to be true, but if that were the case, I don't know why he would be so hard to deal with on licensing a Joker figure. Just more cash in his wallet.

I've read this too, it was part of his contract to get a percentage of the merchandising for all things including figures. Why wouldn't he want a Joker figure? Simple...when you have a lot of money and your ego is inflated more than a Macy's Thankgiving Day parade float thanks to your years in the business and your respect given for your roles what could they possibly offer him to allow his likeness?

I'm wondering what got him to crack...I'm sure cash was involved but I doubt it was the only thing...

Maybe a company showing interesting in making merchandise based on his Joker post-Ledger hoopla stroked his ego enough, made him feel like he's still THE man or something. Whatever the reason, thankful he did it.

I've read this too, it was part of his contract to get a percentage of the merchandising for all things including figures. Why wouldn't he want a Joker figure? Simple...when you have a lot of money and your ego is inflated more than a Macy's Thankgiving Day parade float thanks to your years in the business and your respect given for your roles what could they possibly offer him to allow his likeness?

I'm wondering what got him to crack...I'm sure cash was involved but I doubt it was the only thing...

He wanted a Hot Toy quality figure of him? :huh

:lol

Maybe a company showing interesting in making merchandise based on his Joker post-Ledger hoopla stroked his ego enough, made him feel like he's still THE man or something. Whatever the reason, thankful he did it.

I think this might be it. People went so ape____ over Ledger and people were even having online petitions to have no one else play the character. I think them coming to him and wanting to make him as The Joker even after their flurry of Ledgers probably went right to his ego. I wonder if they'll do a Jack Napier head as well that'd be the real test of his approval, even with the makeup scene from the Museum would be interesting...

jack-the-joker.jpg

It's more than money, I'm sure plenty of other companies were willing to throw him the cash.

I really think that the Ledger thing is a factor, I think being asked for his likeness on Joker merchandise after all the Ledger hype, even by Hot Toys, goes right to his ego, that's right, even after Heath, people still want MY Joker.

Think about this, they could easily give us multiple Jokers even a DX Jack Napier with Joker from the "Wait until they get a load of me" progression like we had for Ledger's DX which included a san make up face. The idea of having so many figures might have pushed it over the top. You could easily have three releases equal six figures if done right.

Would be nice if quantity of figures was one of the bargaining factors, because if not, then the efforts to get approval could mean less portraits to go through the process and pay less for it.

I have a feeling that Jack Nicholson (or his reps) will want to approve the likeness of each release. Call it a hunch, I doubt it had to do with the approval but definitely was part of the agreement.

I have a feeling that Jack Nicholson (or his reps) will want to approve the likeness of each release. Call it a hunch, I doubt it had to do with the approval but definitely was part of the agreement.

I'm sure, but, if they negotiate doing multiple heads up front, might make things smoother than discussing one initially and then going back for more later, like Jack and his people negotiating for more with HT going back realizing it was a hit and knowing they had leverage on HT to get more out of them for later heads where right now, it's a slight gamble so the negotiations would be different.

It's more than money, I'm sure plenty of other companies were willing to throw him the cash.

I really think that the Ledger thing is a factor, I think being asked for his likeness on Joker merchandise after all the Ledger hype, even by Hot Toys, goes right to his ego, that's right, even after Heath, people still want MY Joker.

Well that, money and it seems to me that he really enjoyed playing the Joker,

2:25 - on,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/xVE3N6L7Me0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/xVE3N6L7Me0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I got a kick out of these,

"He's not wired up the same way. This guy has survived nuclear waste immersion here. "

"This does not apply to the Joker, things even the wildest comics might be afraid to find funny. Burning somebody's face into oblivion, destroying a masterpiece in a museum. A subject as an art person even made me a little scared. Not this character."

- Jack on the Joker

He may very well have had a blast playing him, but I'm sure other companies have approached him for the likeness, even the toy companies back when the first figures came out in '89, and he hasn't given out his likeness much before now. Something big had to resonate with him this time around to get him to give in, beyond the fun of the role and money because I'm sure those were present in the past offers.

I think Heath took the Joker away from him and he wants it back. He wants people to remember him as the Joker and his portrayal of the Joker.

Yeah, it's not about being known to the world as the Joker, but in his mind, it's probably about being known as the better/more popular Joker.

Back