Hot Toys - The Mandalorian - Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike Set + The Child

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most obvious difference is so-called "saggy" chest armor (way taller than the ROTJ version) and the armor neckline on the back is more like a tank top in Mando and squared, not round. The peak above eye lens is flatter in Mando (more so on the figure than the costume) but more curved in ROTJ, and in Mando the shoulder armor is more straight and tube like and longer vs curved and smaller in ROTJ, the bicep armor is a somewhat different shape, buckle more square, and hip armor more boxy and fatter, and the airsccop backpack has differences.

This is ROTJ on left, Mando on right:

bKW6tf0.jpg

YES NOTHING MAKES MORE SENSE than leaving the cervical and upper thoracic spine exposed on a soldier's kit! Sheer genius! Yes indeed, Force-choke whatever Imperial mastermind thought this one up.

Worst. Armor. EVER.

YES NOTHING MAKES MORE SENSE than leaving the cervical and upper thoracic spine exposed on a soldier's kit! Sheer genius! Yes indeed, Force-choke whatever Imperial mastermind thought this one up.

Worst. Armor. EVER.

You okay there? :lol

Worst. Armor. EVER.

You're referring to the Imperial Military Doctrine of No Retreat, embodied by the armour design which encourages frontal assaults, further aided by the strategically placed blinders on the helmet visor to ensure Absolute Focus.

Perhaps you require re-education. Long live the Empire.

Nothing brings a collectible to life more than an average going about your business pose.

Justin used the same pose in his video and i think everyone will be doing the same lol

Real shame though that the bike looks like it’s from Hoth instead of from outpost latrinno.

Quite jarring the dichotomy from bike to uniform.

Last edited:
Still do not get why ppl are so upset with the Mando design scout. Saggy chest armour? You could easily look at the ROTJ and say crop top armour. I just do not see how it looks so horrid. I mean all subjective but really I do not prefer one over the other here...I like them both equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still do not get why ppl are so upset with the Mando design scout. Saggy chest armour? You could easily look at the ROTJ and say crop top armour. I just do not see how it looks so horrid. I mean all subjective but really I do not prefer one over the other here...I like them both equally.

A lot of people seem to be offended by anything that deviates from the original OT design.

A lot of people seem to be offended by anything that deviates from the original OT design.

I've been looking at the Mando Scouts and I'm not sure the chest armour is intended to be "saggy" to represent "comic decline' as many seem to perceive it.

Taking a good look at the armour when the trooper stands upright, it actually affords more protection (in front) than the original design. I feel like it may be a case of a logical update like the Rogue One Stormtroopers which many hardcore OT fans don't like.

Offended, no? Not care about, yes.
In my case I simply collect what I like and what is within my collecting focus.

Well it clearly doesn't apply to you then.

Some people here certainly seem to care though, a lot :lol

I've been looking at the Mando Scouts and I'm not sure the chest armour is intended to be "saggy" to represent "comic decline' as many seem to perceive it.

Taking a good look at the armour when the trooper stands upright, it actually affords more protection (in front) than the original design. I feel like it may be a case of a logical update like the Rogue One Stormtroopers which many hardcore OT fans don't like.

There's also the knee guards worn upside down, the cummerbund not worn correctly, the nappy, the actual comedy of the scenes they appear in. For some reason Scouts were singled out as comic relief for the series.

As for preference, the OT is always prime and any deviation subordinate.

Plus, pert is always better than saggy. :lol

Anyway, here's a curiosity. The costume from The Mandalorian was displayed at SDCC in order to represent ROTJ, and whoever assembled it put the knee guards on ROTJ-fashion.

The two names credited as the costume designers are actually the designers who worked on ROTJ, not The Mandalorian:

4RDRfCb.jpg

I’m ok with the minor costume changes between movies that are 37 years apart especially when the final product looks that spectacular even in a hanging out with friends pose.

I look at it I see a scout trooper not a clone trooper.

WIN!

Wanna see a crappy baggy costume go to the EG Cap thread lol

Last edited:
There's also the knee guards worn upside down, the cummerbund not worn correctly, the nappy, the actual comedy of the scenes they appear in. For some reason Scouts were singled out as comic relief for the series.

I didn't initially notice the knee guards, and still don't notice the cummerbund. :lol

As far as the scenes, sure -- but I still don't think the updated costume details were for that reason. They *way* it was worn, maybe? And stormtroopers in general are comic relief in the Mando show.

Plus, pert is always better than saggy. :lol

Not sure we're talking about the same thing anymore. :lol

Well I am glad I am not alone in not understanding the hate. I am not saying I prefer one over the other. TBH I like both equally as much. And definitely intend to get a ROTJ cleaner trooper when/if that is released.

To be fair, if you choose to lift designs from loved properties and then try to put your own spin on it you open yourself up to criticism. It can come off as disrespect and/or laziness.

Personally I kinda like the weathering on this scout but I do hate the saggy chest armor. I did order two of these for the record. I also hate the Rogue One friendly looking Stormtroopers. Those are terrible.

Well I am glad I am not alone in not understanding the hate. I am not saying I prefer one over the other. TBH I like both equally as much. And definitely intend to get a ROTJ cleaner trooper when/if that is released.

Yeah, I fall into this camp too - though I think the clean, crisper look of the ROTJ version will always be my fave. There's something that's also cool about seeing a Biker Scout with Sandie type desert weathering.

It's a bonus too that the white bike brings to mind the Hoth versions Hasbro did that Snowtroopers rode. Always thought it was cool and there are pics of the ROTJ props in white from 1982 (before the brown paint was applied.)

These cosplayer/collectible costume items used in Mando were produced long before the show was conceived and were supposed to accurately depict the Scout as seen in ROTJ.

My guess is they (in this case, Walt's and EFX) were either not hugely concerned with accuracy or did these changes for wearer comfort or ease of manufacture.

While in-universe you can imagine it as an explanation, in reality this was not a case of a design "update" (like the RO troopers were) but rather simple inaccuracy to the ROTJ costume parts.

I do think it's kind of funny that somewhat inaccurate cosplayer items have become canon - that's oh-so SW.:lol

To be fair, if you choose to lift designs from loved properties and then try to put your own spin on it you open yourself up to criticism. It can come off as disrespect and/or laziness.

Personally I kinda like the weathering on this scout but I do hate the saggy chest armor. I did order two of these for the record. I also hate the Rogue One friendly looking Stormtroopers. Those are terrible.

I don't see how it can be lazy to take an existing design and rework it, but sure.

Like it or not, more often than not they aren't going to just replicate the old designs 1:1, gotta let them have some creativity since I doubt anyone in a creative field wants to come on to work a project and just be told to copy and paste something.

The original designs are still there anyway, nobody is taking them away. I personally like the Rogue One style Stormtroopers, they just look more refined and sleek.

I like this Scout and I like the ROTJ Scout.

I don't see how it can be lazy to take an existing design and rework it, but sure.

Like it or not, more often than not they aren't going to just replicate the old designs 1:1, gotta let them have some creativity since I doubt anyone in a creative field wants to come on to work a project and just be told to copy and paste something.

The original designs are still there anyway, nobody is taking them away. I personally like the Rogue One style Stormtroopers, they just look more refined and sleek.

I like this Scout and I like the ROTJ Scout.

When "existing" is also "iconic" it does become slightly problematic though - ie we aren't talking about design updates of items/parts that even fans wouldn't notice (say a Rebel Commando's backpack type.)

The redesign of the RO stormie helmet was done to ensure the helmets looked "real/functional" in close-ups (eg the RO chin "vents" became 3D slots rather than the OT stickers) but then Mando turned that on its head and used ANH-style helmets for close-ups and they looked spectacular.

For me, the RO redesign made stormie helmets look "cute" (almost like teen stormies) due to the rounded eye lenses and removed some of the skeletal menace of the classic design, but that's just my subjective take.

When "existing" is also "iconic" it does become slightly problematic though - ie we aren't talking about design updates of items/parts that even fans wouldn't notice (say a Rebel Commando's backpack type.)

The redesign of the RO stormie helmet was done to ensure the helmets looked "real/functional" in close-ups (eg the RO chin "vents" became 3D slots rather than the OT stickers) but then Mando turned that on its head and used ANH-style helmets for close-ups and they looked spectacular.

For me, the RO redesign made stormie helmets look "cute" (almost like teen stormies) due to the rounded eye lenses and removed some of the skeletal menace of the classic design, but that's just my subjective take.

I dunno, they look like Stormtroopers to me still and this looks like a Scout Trooper to me so I guess I just don't really care that much. Death Watch look different in the Clone Wars and The Mandalorian, but they still look like Death Watch. I don't see it as being any different from them changing a characters outfit between movies, which they always do.

Back