1/6 Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Kuiil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics dude! I still find the Blurrg especially interesting/amusing. I.m.o. it shouldn't really "work" at all when considering the absolutely rediculous design (Piranha Elephant feet T-Rex), and yet it somehow manages to blend in seamlessly with the rest of the SW universe. If I ever was to extend my 1/6 scale collecting beyond OT Creatures & Bounty Hunters, this would definitely be on my short-list of stuff to buy.
Technically the blurrg is "OT adjacent" given it was first seen onscreen in the mid 1980s, so its sorta-kinda an "OT creature."

Technically the blurrg is "OT adjacent" given it was first seen onscreen in the mid 1980s, so its sorta-kinda an "OT creature."
Well, so is Rogue One. It still doesn't make K-2SO an OT droid (Though I do like the way your mind almost works its way around this fact) 🙃 That said, I'd also consider Mando s.1-2 to be OT "adjacent" due to the close proximity to, and stylistically faithful continuation of ROTJ. Herein lies not my problem with the Mando Hot Toys figures though; There's simply enough potential 1/6 Jabba's palace stuff to keep me busy for the rest of my SW collecting life 😎

Well, so is Rogue One. It still doesn't make K-2SO an OT droid (Though I do like the way your mind almost works its way around this fact) 🙃 That said, I'd also consider Mando s.1-2 to be OT "adjacent" due to the close proximity to, and stylistically faithful continuation of ROTJ. Herein lies not my problem with the Mando Hot Toys figures though; There's simply enough potential 1/6 Jabba's palace stuff to keep me busy for the rest of my SW collecting life 😎
Most of Disney SW is set roughly in OT era though, so that to me doesn't mean much at all.

I'm talking about a SW creature designed and put onscreen by the same people who made the OT (OT icon Joe Johnston was production designer on both Ewok movies, and crew included icons Muren, Tippett, Berg, Pangrazio etc), and during the OT era.

The Blurrg appeared in a SW movie that released just a year after ROTJ (far less than the three-year gap between main OT releases.) That's what I mean by "OT adjacent" - the Blurrg was designed and produced in the same time period as Jabba was, and by the same people.

Yes the Ewok movies are pretty terrible, but the above makes the Blurrg design far more important than some creature/robot from a recent Disney production set during the OT era.

How is the magnetic backpack on this handled? Having other figures with them, they're usually strong and just grab the backpack when it's close. Looking at the instructions, are the magnets in his clothes or something?

I'm asking because it doesn't really seem like there's anything magnetic there. It basically can rest, but it falls anytime I touch the figure.
I was struggling as well and I figured it out: the instructions refer to magnets but there’s actually velcro hidden between the layers of orange on his shirt that connects to those two shoulder tabs on his backpack. Hasn’t fallen off since!

Nice pics dude! I still find the Blurrg especially interesting/amusing. I.m.o. it shouldn't really "work" at all when considering the absolutely rediculous design (Piranha Elephant feet T-Rex), and yet it somehow manages to blend in seamlessly with the rest of the SW universe. If I ever was to extend my 1/6 scale collecting beyond OT Creatures & Bounty Hunters, this would definitely be on my short-list of stuff to buy.
Always such beautiful looking photos Spanbauer! You will make space lol.
Looking forward to them as always!😉👍
Thanks all! Here’s a few more photos from today.

DSC_0264A.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0253C.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

Yes the Ewok movies are pretty terrible, but the above makes the Blurrg design far more important than some creature/robot from a recent Disney production set during the OT era.
I agree to disagree. A good design is a good design nomatter the name recognition of the creator or the "era" it was conceived. Unfortunately the Ewok movies are a complete failure in every single department you want to measure: Script, Directing, Acting, World building and Creature design, which is what makes them ALL BUT important (Including the notoriously funky Blurrg design). What they do contribute though is the hard earned lesson that an uninspired and script deprived, low budget spin-off is always going to fail, nomatter what talent is involved. And frankly, I don't even want to know what Tippett and the rest of the crew were smoking during the production of those turkeys 🤪 There's not a single new creature design in there that would've made the cut for the OT films. Also, Lucas himself had clearly already lost his mind by then. Horses and goats in SW anyone?... Nah, K-2SO is a character that is both excellently written, designed and portrayed (By Tudyk), which actually makes it VERY important as far as informing future SW writers and producers how this franchise should be successfully populated/expanded. I just personally wish he'd been in the Mandalorian instead of Rogue One 🍺😎

I dunno - K-2SO makes no sense to me as an OT-era droid. He's waaay too sophisticated and advanced (sprinting like no OT droid can, smooth human like movement etc.) and to me the design is a tad too reminiscent of Iron Giant to be a stand-out like the OT's best droids, but I guess it's all just head canon. But yeah he's cool enough as a design and second tier character.

I'm not saying I love the design of the Blurrg (and wholly agree on the ewok films - not just bad, but quite strangely bad for being so close to the OT, even as basic pitches) all I'm saying is that to me, it has a special status because of the aspects I've mentioned.

I will say though that the OT has a strange effect, creating love for pretty much everything regardless of merit. Chubby, boring looking dude with an ice cream maker becomes fan fave. And a number of OT creatures are worse designs than the Blurrg - e.g. Wioslea (landspeeder salesman - eyeball-turd head wearing Ben's clothes) and Joh Yowza (largely unseen terrible design for some bizarre reason is elevated to Rebo band lead)

It's a fairly long list really - some of the "Rick Baker's shelf" fill-in masks from the cantina, rat-man and praying mantis cantina man, a few creatures on Bespin (alien Bespin guard), several of Jabba's denizens, . It goes on. So the Blurrg would hardly be alone on the weaker OT-era creature design list.

It's interesting that ROTJ era there did seem to be some hubris ("I can do a quick sketch and it'll be a best selling toy next year!") sneak into the SW crew resulting in a few questionable choices. Some would argue ewoks themselves are part of that. And yes drug use (from what I've read Tippett maybe had an actual addiction problem as much as Carrie Fisher at the time) probably factored into that. So maybe the Blurrg was part of that.

I was struggling as well and I figured it out: the instructions refer to magnets but there’s actually velcro hidden between the layers of orange on his shirt that connects to those two shoulder tabs on his backpack. Hasn’t fallen off since!

Thanks all! Here’s a few more photos from today.

View attachment 672753
View attachment 672758
View attachment 672754
View attachment 672761
View attachment 672755
View attachment 672757
View attachment 672760
View attachment 672759
View attachment 672756
View attachment 672752
Great story in photos here Spanbauer !!
Id watch your stories everyday if they looked like these pics!!

Really cool set to be sure and WOW! Great collection of shots there, Spanbauer. Your skill has no limits! Beautiful!
Those shots make me re-think my decision to not get a blurrg, but then I'd want two, and I have the Dewback on order.:monkey2

I dunno - K-2SO makes no sense to me as an OT-era droid. He's waaay too sophisticated and advanced (sprinting like no OT droid can, smooth human like movement etc.)

Well, the droids we do see in the OT aren't designed to perform any physical tasks. Having R2 units and Protocol droids be stronger and more agile serves no real purpose. The level of technology on display in the OT doesn't make a "K-2" unbelievable in the slightest though.

I will say though that the OT has a strange effect, creating love for pretty much everything regardless of merit. Chubby, boring looking dude with an ice cream maker becomes fan fave.

I don't know how old you are but the niche fan love for the icecream maker dude is a mighty fine example of ironic/sarcastic humor. Maybe you'd have to be a Gen X:er to get it?...

And a number of OT creatures are worse designs than the Blurrg - e.g. Wioslea (landspeeder salesman - eyeball-turd head wearing Ben's clothes) and Joh Yowza (largely unseen terrible design for some bizarre reason is elevated to Rebo band lead)
It's a fairly long list really - some of the "Rick Baker's shelf" fill-in masks from the cantina, rat-man and praying mantis cantina man, a few creatures on Bespin (alien Bespin guard), several of Jabba's denizens, . It goes on. So the Blurrg would hardly be alone on the weaker OT-era creature design list.

I personally like Wioslea, but I do agree about some of the other alien designs in the OT. A big part of what made A New Hope work so well was the fact Lucas and the design team managed to restrict the screen time of the many "lesser" creations. Put them in the background or have them on camera for just a few seconds without doing much (if anything at all). Having a janky stop-motion Blurrg running across the screen though just doesn't do the trick. As far as the repurposed Yowsa is concerned the less said about it, the better. Fortunately he's a Special Edition problem and not an OG Star Wars thing. Moving on...

It's interesting that ROTJ era there did seem to be some hubris ("I can do a quick sketch and it'll be a best selling toy next year!") sneak into the SW crew resulting in a few questionable choices.

I'd argue there's never been a more awesome and successful collection of on-screen "scum and villainy" in movie history than what we got in ROTJ (and in ANH too for that matter). I also don't think hubris had anything to do with it. The task of creating the necessary amount of intergalactic freaks for Jabba's palace took the best artists at the time several months to produce. Again, most of the sub-par creations were hardly ever seen in the movie but have surfaced later as part of the never ending fascination for SW behind the scenes stories.

Some would argue ewoks themselves are part of that.

In my book the Ewoks are extremely well realised in the movie, especially considering the technical limitations of the era. I'm also one of those nuts who much prefer the smaller space hamsters to a whole village of screeching wookies. The Holiday Special was more than enough to sway me on that particular idea.

Thank you! I guess they just didn't update the instructions, glad it'll hold nice now.

Really cool set to be sure and WOW! Great collection of shots there, Spanbauer. Your skill has no limits! Beautiful!
Great story in photos here Spanbauer !!
Id watch your stories everyday if they looked like these pics!!
Those shots make me re-think my decision to not get a blurrg, but then I'd want two, and I have the Dewback on order.:monkey2
Awesome pics and posing @Spanbauer! These really show off what a nice set it is. You've done justice to blurrgs everywhere.
☕😉👍
Thanks all! One more batch of photos.
DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0403cu.jpg
DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0343C.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0370B.jpg

DSC_0370Bcu.jpg

DSC_0431right.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

Nice pics everyone indeed!

Glad to see Kuiil getting so much love. He was a must have with Mando, the Child and IG. The Blurgg is a crazy cool piece for sure. Such an ugly and massive beast of burden in SW fashion. It's quite remarkable that HT's made the Blurgg, and now the Dewback. After these, what could be next? I'd have to vote for the mighty Tonton!

@jedibear I those outdoor shots are too cool.

Wonderful creativity and effort on your Kuiil, Blurgg, and Mando pics @Spanbauer.

@DrWeaponX these are very cool pics!

It reminds me of something like an alternate ending to Season 1.

"Fleeing with the child and Blurgg, Kuiil hides from the Remnant Scouts in a hidden cave that leads to an abandoned maintenance tunnel of Moff's Gideon's Nevarro base.

Once inside, he discovers a control panel linked to the volcanic pit located in Moff's base that warms Moff's cloning tanks. He overloads the control panel setting off a cataclysmic chain of events, which causes the obliteration of Moff's Imperial volcanic fortress.

As the Scouts retreat, he perceives it's safe to continue along on his way out to meet IG-11 at the Razorcrest. As he turns to exit the tunnel, the glint of a strange device catches his eye. Recognizing it as a data pad, he picks it up as it powers on. In the green glow of the device's screen, he reads these words,

Final Script-Season 3, The Mandalorian."
😲

Needs an ending, anyone? To be continued I guess, Lol. 😆

Last edited:

Just got this in, I had some sort of deal or something and paid him off. The velcro I think is to hold his neck wrap in place since there is matching velcro on that. There's a magnet someplace for the backpack, but it's incredibly weak. :pfft:Especially with the weight of the backpack. Way to go Hot Toys:pfft:

No big deal I'll pick up some magnets off Amazon if I don't have any laying around, and stuff up his shirt in back. Or something.

Other than that, I am very happy to have him in, finally. IMO one of the more amazing characters introduced into the SW universe. HT did a good job with the sculpt, costume. And I NEEDED him to go with my S1/S2 lineup. Plus, with this guy, I can give him all kinds of accessories and stuff. Passed on a Blurrg for now, 'coz of space and having the Dewback on PO. Tho the pics are horribly enabling.:p

Back