Hot Toys Star Wars Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I'm not convinced by the RO Stormies. HT just needs to release a set of ANH or ESB Stormies using the stunt helmet from the Sandies.

Yes please!

I'm really surprised this has not happened yet. So easy for them to do and either kind would work like a charm. All the people that missed the first troopers would buy it and all the "real" fans :wink1: would buy seconds or thirds, or fourths....

I've gone off these Stormtroopers - the most wonderful figures I owned at the time I got them and now I look at them (I have two tall ones) and they suddenly look clunky instead of iconic. I've never been a huge fan of armored or trooper figures anyway, with ANH Stormtroopers being the exception, but now I think these guys are goners as far as my collection is concerned. In fact the only thing making me hold on to them is knowing how hard they'd be to replace. Anyone else suddenly find themselves 'turning' against a figure like this or am I just nuts?

Must be temporary insanity Tom, listen to Vince Vaughn "don't do it". [emoji38] But seriously I like my small army of ANH stormies about as much as anything in my collection.
6ed17d7e3903ef5945bf6f6b265e434c.gif

Personally I'm not convinced by the RO Stormies. HT just needs to release a set of ANH or ESB Stormies using the stunt helmet from the Sandies.

Now THAT I would be all over !!! Nothing better than the sandy stunt helmet !

We should start a petition to Hot Toys !!

But aren't the ANH Stormie and Sandie the same helmet with just a raised brow, different lenses, bubble and flat respectively, and different paint apps? I thought they were the same sculpt?

But aren't the ANH Stormie and Sandie the same helmet with just a raised brow, different lenses, bubble and flat respectively, and different paint apps? I thought they were the same sculpt?

Nope...the frown is different, and the proportions are tweaked.

Are you talking about Stormies vs Sandies or Stunt Stormie vs Hero Stormie? Sandies had flat lenses.

Yes. Sandies had the flat lenses and so does the HT. The ANH troops have bubble lenses like Luke Stormie.

Nope...the frown is different, and the proportions are tweaked.

Gotcha. I just thought it was painted different. I'll have to compare them again cause I never noticed. I knew I liked the Sandie Sculpt better for some reason.

Please help me get this right
For screen accuracy, the helmet of my HT:
Sandtrooper is accurate?
Space trooper is accurate?
Luke in disguise is accurate?
My anh two pack are not accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please help me get this right
For screen accuracy, the helmet of my HT:
Sandtrooper is accurate?
Space trooper is accurate?
Luke in disguise is accurate?
My anh two pack are not accurate?

None of them are what I'd call dead-on.

Sandtrooper is most accurate. Disguised Luke, Spacetrooper and Stormtrooper are all the same sculpt, but for some reason the dome on Luke is higher and better-proportioned.

None of them are what I'd call dead-on.

Sandtrooper is most accurate. Disguised Luke, Spacetrooper and Stormtrooper are all the same sculpt, but for some reason the dome on Luke is higher and better-proportioned.

Cool -thanks for clarifying
I'll fetch them out of the bin then

There is no 100% accuracy in scaled items. To make it short the most accurate licensed sculpt of a scaled helmet is the first Gentle Giant Stormtrooper 1/6 mini-bust which was scanned from a screen used helmet (though it has its own issues, as being a tad too small and mic tips too long). Then there is the Marmit Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper which are very accurate, but a bit soft. Then the HT comes with all its variations.

90% Hot Toys 10% custom. For the price we pay, Hot Toys should be delivering screen accurate helmets out the box.
The custom helmet i'm using resembles the image on the cardback in the background far more than the HT helmet.
I'm pretty sure they could do it as they certainly managed to nail the likeness of Rogue One Death Troopers and Shoretroopers helmets, rather annoying actually.

IMG_4986.JPG

I'm so confused by this whole likeness discussion. When I look up a picture of Stormtroopers from ANH I see a collection of completely different helmets, I don't think any two helmets look exactly alike.

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the hero helmet or the stunt helmet. The biggest differences that I can see is that the outline under the eye protrudes more and that the Hot Toys version is more symmetrical and not as deformed as the prop?

Is that it?

EDIT: The "Bags" under the eyes is definitely the biggest thing I notice. I still think the Hot Toys helmet is vastly superior to any other 1/6 Stormtrooper Helmet. Maybe not in accuracy but in quality far and away. Wouldn't trade it for a Rogue One or any other trooper.

I'm so confused by this whole likeness discussion. When I look up a picture of Stormtroopers from ANH I see a collection of completely different helmets, I don't think any two helmets look exactly alike.

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the hero helmet or the stunt helmet. The biggest differences that I can see is that the outline under the eye protrudes more and that the Hot Toys version is more symmetrical and not as deformed as the prop?

Is that it?

EDIT: The "Bags" under the eyes is definitely the biggest thing I notice. I still think the Hot Toys helmet is vastly superior to any other 1/6 Stormtrooper Helmet. Maybe not in accuracy but in quality far and away. Wouldn't trade it for a Rogue One or any other trooper.

Mate, if you don't especially care, then you don't want to know. I don't care to know what the inaccuracies are, my eyes glaze over whenever Garlic and jkno spell it all out. It's great that they're fans, and I respect their knowledge and that they're discerning - but ignorance is bliss as far as I'm concerned.

90% Hot Toys 10% custom. For the price we pay, Hot Toys should be delivering screen accurate helmets out the box.

No way HT would ever market wonky and asymmetrical screen accurate stuff. Me, you and many others will love it (and with asymmetrical helmet I'll want asymmetrical armor) but just remember how many times people were complaining about the rough paintjob of HT Vader cheeks thinking of production problems. Some idealization is unavoidable.

Personally I prefer the RO troopers over the ANH ones. Not a fan of the Velcro belt, how the detonator attaches or the gun holster. The belt will likely yellow on the fabric in a few years and the holster will likely disintegrate because of the awesome leather HT uses.

I can understand why Hot Toys would idealize the ANH troopers. They were never intended to be asymmetrical and different. If they had the tools and money back in the OT we would have gotten symmetrical identical armour for them all like RO or Force Awakens.

I just think quality wise and nostalgia aside, the RO troopers are the better made figures. Much like how RO Vader is better made than the ANH.

Is that it?

www.starwarshelmets.com & https://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

Personally I prefer the RO troopers over the ANH ones. Not a fan of the Velcro belt, how the detonator attaches or the gun holster. The belt will likely yellow on the fabric in a few years and the holster will likely disintegrate because of the awesome leather HT uses.

I can understand why Hot Toys would idealize the ANH troopers. They were never intended to be asymmetrical and different. If they had the tools and money back in the OT we would have gotten symmetrical identical armour for them all like RO or Force Awakens.

I just think quality wise and nostalgia aside, the RO troopers are the better made figures. Much like how RO Vader is better made than the ANH.
free-get-out-gif-888.gif

Back