Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from the recent HT promo video. Do they really paint these heads by hand? I always thought they were machine painted.

krtYP5W.jpg

This is from the recent HT promo video. Do they really paint these heads by hand? I always thought they were machine painted.

snip

Pretty sure it's in the product descriptions that they're hand painted. JC Hong said in the narration over the video that it takes 2 weeks to do a head. The must really take their time letting things dry before doing different layers. I highly doubt anyone else spends nearly that much time.

krtYP5W.jpg
Here is an inside look at the Sideshow factory getting ready to paint Jedi Luke and his lightsaber:monkey3
4f4c226be854d0435a0562cce1294507.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

krtYP5W.jpg

Pictures cropped to cut out the guys with the guns to their heads

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

krtYP5W.jpg

After the last year spent working on my book about 1/6 collecting one thing I was very surprised to learn was with HOT TOY's not only is every face sculpt hand painted individually making no two the same, they also do most of the clothing by hand as well, the only thing that seems to be "reproduced" by machine are the accessories, and even some of those are then painted or touched up by hand, and i mentioned this a few months back in another thread when soeone made a comment about Hot Toys is knocking out 20,000+ figures per each design, I can say with confidence that its less than half of that, some figures are less than 3,000 or even 2,000 they do however make second batches such as when han and chewi were re-released, they were not re-released per say but when they get pre-orders or sales numbers they up production on pieces already being worked on. But most pieces are more limited than most would expect. And surpsingly I would consider these an actual work of display art seeing as how 85% of the figure except for the body and th eaccessories is primarily done by hand and can take anywhere from 5-15 days oer figure to complete. Hope this helps shed some light on the quality and detil and effort that go into what we collect and have a passion for.

Some other companies who i will discuss in other segments of the book also do a lot of by hand production, however sideshow seems to scult and cast, and machine paint or hand paint some and send others out for production runs, hence the poor quality control, they cannot oversee it as its happening, were as Hot toys uses a base acult and a base painted head then those are than passed to other artists who use them for a "master" copy and they are overseen in every stpe of the production process in house.

After the last year spent working on my book about 1/6 collecting one thing I was very surprised to learn was with HOT TOY's not only is every face sculpt hand painted individually making no two the same, they also do most of the clothing by hand as well, the only thing that seems to be "reproduced" by machine are the accessories, and even some of those are then painted or touched up by hand, and i mentioned this a few months back in another thread when soeone made a comment about Hot Toys is knocking out 20,000+ figures per each design, I can say with confidence that its less than half of that, some figures are less than 3,000 or even 2,000 they do however make second batches such as when han and chewi were re-released, they were not re-released per say but when they get pre-orders or sales numbers they up production on pieces already being worked on. But most pieces are more limited than most would expect. And surpsingly I would consider these an actual work of display art seeing as how 85% of the figure except for the body and th eaccessories is primarily done by hand and can take anywhere from 5-15 days oer figure to complete. Hope this helps shed some light on the quality and detil and effort that go into what we collect and have a passion for.

Some other companies who i will discuss in other segments of the book also do a lot of by hand production, however sideshow seems to scult and cast, and machine paint or hand paint some and send others out for production runs, hence the poor quality control, they cannot oversee it as its happening, were as Hot toys uses a base acult and a base painted head then those are than passed to other artists who use them for a "master" copy and they are overseen in every stpe of the production process in house.
How long until your book will be available?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Book? Keep us updated! Cant wait to read that! All great info!

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

it's being formatted now and some revisions and additions being made, im still looking for a handful of collectors to finish interviewing and showcasing collections, that will just about tie up most ifnot the restof the ocntent needed. So anyone interested please send a PM, also deciding on whether I shoud self fund or start a campaign for funding and offer some great incentgives.. I just dont know ho wbig our community is to raise $30k for publisihing and distrobution etc... most of the travel and time and effort so far has been self funded but i must say has been well worth it, ive met so mant greta people and have learned so much, mainly the forever longing question of what are we teased with figs like commander cody, range trooper etc.. and they never see the light of day, i can imagine many will purchase just to read up on that section...lol

No i am doing tis for the love and passion fo collectiong, ive met some who have built museum quality setups and others who have a specific foucs while others have 12" figures going back almost 40yrs, I.E g.i joe's Mego etc.. but its amazoing to see the community at large and what it consists of, I hope that tis book can be a great companion piece to a lot of collectors collections, with everything from caring and cleaning to secondary market value and customizing etc.. im looking for mid to late 2019 again that depends on whether i self fund or do a campaign to raise funds.

krtYP5W.jpg

I suspect most of what they're doing there is the fine detail work (eyes, lips, hair, etc). The base colors probably still get airbrushed on in batches to save time and keep all the heads looking uniform.

it's being formatted now and some revisions and additions being made, im still looking for a handful of collectors to finish interviewing and showcasing collections, that will just about tie up most ifnot the restof the ocntent needed. So anyone interested please send a PM, also deciding on whether I shoud self fund or start a campaign for funding and offer some great incentgives.. I just dont know ho wbig our community is to raise $30k for publisihing and distrobution etc... most of the travel and time and effort so far has been self funded but i must say has been well worth it, ive met so mant greta people and have learned so much, mainly the forever longing question of what are we teased with figs like commander cody, range trooper etc.. and they never see the light of day, i can imagine many will purchase just to read up on that section...lol

No i am doing tis for the love and passion fo collectiong, ive met some who have built museum quality setups and others who have a specific foucs while others have 12" figures going back almost 40yrs, I.E g.i joe's Mego etc.. but its amazoing to see the community at large and what it consists of, I hope that tis book can be a great companion piece to a lot of collectors collections, with everything from caring and cleaning to secondary market value and customizing etc.. im looking for mid to late 2019 again that depends on whether i self fund or do a campaign to raise funds.

I hope you interviewed Nanjin, reading that QMX Star Trek thread the last week has been enlightening! I'd throw some in for a nice 1/6 book, got into the hobby a few years ago and really, really enjoy it.

Back