Hot Toys ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really looking forward to this, but hard to tell how good the helmet is because of the angle (most Vaders look good from a side/ 3/4 view) but man, what is it with HT and too-small chestboxes and belt boxes that seem to vary widely.

I know it's way-early but neither the chestbox (size) nor the beltboxes (shape) look very accurate so far. There's been so many 1/6 Vaders now - you'd think these types of things would be no-brainers by now.

(These comp pics are from ESB, but the sizes and shapes are close to the same ESB vs ROTJ.)

8488It6.png

nQvtr4Z.png

Good to see you back posting again.

I wonder how they will make the eventual ESB Vader marketable with a very similar look and without the unhelmeted sculpt?

I wonder how they will make the eventual ESB Vader marketable with a very similar look and without the unhelmeted sculpt?

Voice function (with easy access). Removable dome for back-of-head exposure. Newer, better body. Better robes. Better cape. Etc...

Look for this ROTJ one to have faults that would seem to be easily fixed... because they will be.

By putting ESB on the art box :lol

Seriously though, that would work for me lol. It's the best movie in the franchise and I like drawing a connection between my figures and their respective movie. Nothing more iconic to me in SW than Vader standing there telling Luke he's his father.

Voice function (with easy access). Removable dome for back-of-head exposure. Newer, better body. Better robes. Better cape. Etc...

Look for this ROTJ one to have faults that would seem to be easily fixed... because they will be.

Maybe they will sabotage the ROTJ version with horrible gloves :monkey3

I have the ANH and R1 Vader. If they differrentiate this enough (unmasked head sculpt, ROTJ gloves, light up chest and add back the light up saber) I'll be getting a third Vader. How often do u get a chance to buy the most iconic villain in movie history? I don't plan on selling any of my Hot Toy figures. Selling at a discount of what I paid isn't worth it to get back a few hundred bucks.

I agree. I love both versions and keeping both. ANH widow's-peak helmet is my favourite of the helmets. I'm sure i'll love whatever HT pours into their next Vaders too and will most likely pick them up as well.

I'll be happy with just my modded HT ANH and a ROTJ Vader. If having these two, no need for ESB.
We also need to understand we might see more of Vader in upcoming SW Disney movies. Maybe even a Vader movie. Then there is the ROTS one some like. We'll get a ton of Vaders in time.

I'm fine with my ANH Vader, but Damn they are really cranking these out!

I agree I don't think HT would do the McQuarrie Vader. But I think Sideshow is missing a golden opportunity by stalling on their McQuarrie 1/6 version. Did they ever officially cancel it?

Not offcially, but the silence speaks for itself. :(

Relating to movies, ESB is where I feel Vader was at his "peak" - Lurking everywhere and menacing his underlings with random "apology accepted" choke-outs. That plus his showdown with Luke being epic... Definitely my favorite invocation of the character. ROTJ is the only movie he doesn't record a kill and he presents as aging. While he looks great and shiny, he seems to have gotten old in a matter of one movie (3 years?)

That being said, I'll probably buy a ROTJ too!

Relating to movies, ESB is where I feel Vader was at his "peak" - Lurking everywhere and menacing his underlings with random "apology accepted" choke-outs. That plus his showdown with Luke being epic... Definitely my favorite invocation of the character. ROTJ is the only movie he doesn't record a kill and he presents as aging. While he looks great and shiny, he seems to have gotten old in a matter of one movie (3 years?)

That being said, I'll probably buy a ROTJ too!

Plus it's the movie we're introduced to the Imperial March, the greatest movie theme there is.

Hmm, sell my sideshow rotj vader now and wait for this or just buy this when it comes out and have 2 rotj vaders.

I just hope the reveal Shaw head has the eyebrows missing -- its one of the few SE things I do think is an improvement.

I also hope they do the Shaw portrait like the movie and not a concept expression like Sideshow went with. I never liked that Sideshow chose to give a Shaw portrait but looking serious as if you removed the mask during a scene prior to his redemption, the appeal for me of the Anakin reveal is those brief moments we see him in the movie, I want collectibles that remind me of that.

latest

review_ssdxvader_5.jpg

Raises the question too, will HT do a fully working reveal, or swap out heads like Sideshow did. I would think HT being the way they are, will go for a working reveal helmet, but time will tell. Hopefully the include a cool display option for the helmet pieces if you choose to display him with it off.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Based on that image alone, I will definitely be upgrading the chest armor on my custom. Hopefully the gloves will look good as well.
I'll probably end up getting the whole figure to mix and match the parts with my custom, and then sell off the rest.

IMG_7419_2_small.jpg

IMG_7450_2_small.jpg

IMG_7630_3_small.jpg

Has anyone noticed that this isn't technically a ESB/ROTJ Vader? The helmet has the widows peak, which is absent in the ESB/ROTJ versions. It also sits too low/tilted forward on the head. Basically it's just a shiny ANH helmet with the larger neck vent. Also, the hook for the cape chain is absent. But other than that, it seems to be a pretty spot on ROTJ Vader. I mean I know these issues will be corrected in the final product..but just something I was curious about if anyone else noticed.

I think this is just a prototype and a stand in for the Luke figure. When it is ready I'm sure HT will show us the picks and then we can nitpick it. Cannot wait to see the final Vader :D

Back