Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not sure what to do about this one yet. Still enjoying the basic TFA version. I love all the extra parts to this R2 but in most cases I’m always gonna display it just basic ‘ol R2.

Sorry to ask a question here, but i suppose real artoo experts might be watching this thread.
I've seen some comments in the thread and elsewhere about quality of the SS R2 units.
I have two of those(The "as first built" metallic one, and the imperial version), and have been scaling a Jedi Starfighter to those mechs.
Is the SS one size-accurate?
I'd hate to be using it for the purposes of scaling, only to find it's not big enough, lol.

Sorry to ask a question here, but i suppose real artoo experts might be watching this thread.
I've seen some comments in the thread and elsewhere about quality of the SS R2 units.
I have two of those(The "as first built" metallic one, and the imperial version), and have been scaling a Jedi Starfighter to those mechs.
I'd hate to be using it for the purposes of scaling, only to find it's not big enough, lol.

No, it is under-sized by a fair margin. Even the Hot Toys TFA one is slightly under-sized.

I was thinking. Have HT ever released a Deluxe figure without a Standard Figure version ?

Jyn - both
Chirrut - both
Maul - both

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking. Have HT ever released a Deluxe figure without a Standard Figure version ?

Jyn - both
Chirrut - both
Maul - both

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Bespin Luke DX??

DX is its own deal. There's no DX-lite.... yet.

I can't think of a "deluxe" release that didn't have a "regular" counterpart at some point. I would have expected HT to release R2 without all those arms for $200-$205. But that seems a little late now.

DX is its own deal. There's no DX-lite.... yet.

I can't think of a "deluxe" release that didn't have a "regular" counterpart at some point. I would have expected HT to release R2 without all those arms for $200-$205. But that seems a little late now.

Yeah, I think I'll wait a little longer to see if they do a Standard R2. I know they typically release both Deluxe and Standard figures together, but they could do a Standard R2 with C3PO as a double pack to reduce the total cost. And then release the Standard R2 at that point when most have committed to the Deluxe?? Not nice I know.

I don't need all the doo-dads and sounds, so without all that for $205 or so sounds reasonable to me. Wait and see.

I don't see a regular R2 offered now so far away from the deluxe offering. Just makes life miserable for retailers when tons of POs get swapped to regulars.

But the possibility of a 2-pack R2 + 3PO is very, very possible. Perhaps it will be movie specific -- i.e. ANH -- thus HT could remove most of the extra arms for R2. The 2-pack would likely have something else unique as an addition -- like the gun rack with the two Stormtroopers. I doubt they'd do a special only threepio arm, but maybe a droid caller or commlink or something equally small.

Whatever they offer, I think this deluxe R2-D2 is likely the one to have as far as full OT representation. Other than Jabba's drink tray and the fire extinguisher, this R2 seems to come with everything.

The tamashi R2 is closest to actual size and has the most accurate dome with more of the egg shape to it althou ever so slight, I have the hots toys R2 and used to have the SS version but traded it with that said i was able to compare all 3 together SS is the smallest in size and the least accurate and flimsiest, Hottoys is cloe its about %95 spot on and looks great , feels great the Tamashi one is about %97 accurate specifically when looking at size and with etc.. but i am not a fan of the "holes" if you will on the tamashi version however i used enamel to fill them in so they are barely visible.

I'm trying to see what this costs with Timcent88 but can't seem to find it on his eBay shop. How does that work ? Do you have to contact him directly by email for pre-order figures ?

Has anyone used Xl-shop? I use KGhobby frequently and found them very reliable. Just wondered about people’s experiences with the former?

I've found xl-shop to be reliable but their ordering process and communication are a bit weird. Probably better off sticking with KG

Ha, I'd rather they just stop making their own stuff at this point.

Yeah, I can’t imagine where’d if be if they didn’t sell the Dewback, Tusken Raider or Greedo...they got me into collecting and they still produce some great stuff..they are getting better.

I don't see a regular R2 offered now so far away from the deluxe offering. Just makes life miserable for retailers when tons of POs get swapped to regulars.

But the possibility of a 2-pack R2 + 3PO is very, very possible. Perhaps it will be movie specific -- i.e. ANH -- thus HT could remove most of the extra arms for R2. The 2-pack would likely have something else unique as an addition -- like the gun rack with the two Stormtroopers. I doubt they'd do a special only threepio arm, but maybe a droid caller or commlink or something equally small.

Whatever they offer, I think this deluxe R2-D2 is likely the one to have as far as full OT representation. Other than Jabba's drink tray and the fire extinguisher, this R2 seems to come with everything.

I can totally see HT releasing the ANH pack, weathered and specific to ANH.

Yeah from the comparisons I've seen they're about equally undersized, but the HT does have the more accurate wider body which I think gives it the edge when it comes to the proportions.

The tamashi R2 is closest to actual size and has the most accurate dome with more of the egg shape to it althou ever so slight, I have the hots toys R2 and used to have the SS version but traded it with that said i was able to compare all 3 together SS is the smallest in size and the least accurate and flimsiest, Hottoys is cloe its about %95 spot on and looks great , feels great the Tamashi one is about %97 accurate specifically when looking at size and with etc.. but i am not a fan of the "holes" if you will on the tamashi version however i used enamel to fill them in so they are barely visible.

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.
I'll just have to make the head and shoulders of the R2 myself. The fighter doesn't fit a full size R2 unit anyway, lol.

I've found xl-shop to be reliable but their ordering process and communication are a bit weird. Probably better off sticking with KG

Same here. I placed an order at xl-shop and it arrived as described. They used a multi-step ordering process involving email confirmation that I’ve never seen anywhere else.

Back