Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had originally put this on payments but sold a figure so decided to pay this off. Will make it easier to handle the next 2 bigs months of payments Then I?m done for quite sometime luckily

Mine showed up yesterday. Very nice upgrade from the SSC version. The remote lights and sounds are pretty fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Got him with the Tamashii 3PO
e99d96ea8cf910962c7eb6e3d73d3504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Still can't work out why they decide that R2 never gets a stand.

OK he can stand by himself pretty well, but there's just no logic there....

I totally agree with that. He needs a base to be consistent with other figures. Whether you use it or not is another story.

I totally agree with that. He needs a base to be consistent with other figures. Whether you use it or not is another story.

Along with not including a stand for R2-D2, the lack of consistency between base styles in the Star Wars figure line is something that really bothers me.

Sometimes it's the oft reused sandy base, sometimes it's the Imperial floor base, sometimes it's the grated base, sometimes it's the small hexagonal base, sometimes it's the wide heptagonal base.

Figures that are supposed to be displayed together sometimes have completely different styles.

I get that some figures demand a different type of support or grabber, but instead of engineering an option, they always opt for the cheapest/easiest.

To be honest for exactly thse reasons I try to display without a stand.

However I know some can have really loose ankles. Or be unstable depending on the pose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the gauntlet on the 'no stand' policy for every figure. They've all held up pretty well over the last couple of years as they've all been posed.

The only figure I currently use a stand for is my custom Catwoman because she's wearing heels and I could have made her ankles a bite more rigid. If I get around to fixing that there'll be no stand for her either.

R2 arrived today. Shipper box was beat up. Figure box was dinged on one side. Fortunately, R2 appears fine. No paint over-spray on blue areas. Looking forward to when I can set him up with all of those accessory arms.

IMG_0995 sm.jpg
IMG_0996 sm.jpg

Ordered mine from Timcent early last week, just before he got waitlisted on SS, but it doesn't appear to have left HK yet. Guessing shipping from HK/China is facing severe delays due to corona.

I?m sure this will be one of those figures Sideshow will get more of once all this madness dies down. Unless there?s another R2 coming down the pipeline, I can?t see HT not producing more.

I mold and cast the HT stands and go through Evilface for the labels. He does great work.

That's interesting. I did a test to do exactly the same thing (self mould) a few years ago with the, at that time standard, Deathstar red grill stands. But they were really difficult to de-mould. So I gave up. No doubt the flatter base plate you have is easier to mould.

Are the top plate and the thicker base just dump moulds, then sand the base flat after moulding ? Or did you go with a 2 part mould for the thicker base to save on material ?

Maybe I need to try again.

I?m sure this will be one of those figures Sideshow will get more of once all this madness dies down. Unless there?s another R2 coming down the pipeline, I can?t see HT not producing more.

Time will tell. HT might be so backed up now with every other figure that they may not focus on these and mainly on getting out other figures. Then maybe once they get caught up they will do these. Maybe in 12-18 months.
2 pack with 3PO would be awesome. Just a few attachments, but more bare bones than this one.

That's interesting. I did a test to do exactly the same thing (self mould) a few years ago with the, at that time standard, Deathstar red grill stands. But they were really difficult to de-mould. So I gave up. No doubt the flatter base plate you have is easier to mould.

Are the top plate and the thicker base just dump moulds, then sand the base flat after moulding ? Or did you go with a 2 part mould for the thicker base to save on material ?

Maybe I need to try again.

Top plate single mold only that leaves the bottom flat. The lower section is just a piece of MDF painted and glued together. I sell just the tops in my Ebay store. I also make the round sand/snow tops for the old Sideshow Star Wars stands. I?ve also made
HT Sand, Snow, Dirt,
DS floor,
DS grate gray, DS grate red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can recommend JediJim's stand toppers - really well done and great price. I have dozens and dozens of the Sideshow stand versions (and will need another dozen pretty soon...) which I love.

Love R2 with all of the arms extended. Makes for an excellent display.

The batteries set-up was a pain, especially the one for the little recharge tool. I had both batteries fly out when initially putting them in. Found one quickly but the other took some time, as the carpet monster wanted to keep it...

Couldn't get the dome's left panel to open up so I just stuck the arm onto it, for the time being...

HT R2-D2 1.jpg

Back