Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a member of Astromech.net for years but haven't posted pics yet. I Basically have been purchasing parts whenever runs are made available and doing a ton of research there. I'm about 90% completed with parts acquisitions and about .05% completed in build... :lol

I did work on the dome electronics and Arduino controller. That's about it. Too many projects, just not enough time...

Fair enough. I figure there?s a lot of prepping before getting into the build. Good luck with it![emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn, that's awesome. Hope you show off some progress at some point.

Fair enough. I figure there?s a lot of prepping before getting into the build. Good luck with it![emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks!! I'll definitely post progress pics.

It looks fantastic in hand. The whole thing seems to be painted, not bare plastic (unlike the SSC apparently). It looks like you took the real deal and shrunk him down.

It?s like I pulled him off the Tantive IV and set him on my desk. It?s the one figure I don?t have away in the display cabinet. Looks real to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.... Just got him off amazon for 259 free ship and I had over 100.00 in reward points... so good deal...

Only problem is that I didn?t want R2 to get lonely so I got a hot toys ESB today off of eBay :lol

If you don't care about a single accessory enough to upgrade then don't. But it does have improvements over the TFA version -- body is more white, less yellow, and the blue dome panels are matte rather that glossy. The trade-off is some panels might not be 100% flush.

It is less weathered though.

a215ed7500dcbb45b2d6daaae0a5fecd.jpg

27f4602c37ab15e2e4e41d31ad29a5d1.jpg

I think they both look great. If I had to choose one it would be the OT one. I also have the Tamashi one too which looks great IMO as well

Yeap $400 indeed :slap

There is no justification for it but I know this will make for a great display piece on a shelf or a desk that will also be easier to play with compared to the other figures. So it will be versatile. I had the TFA one for a while and it was really neat so I know this one will be even better because of the display options and colouring.

I sold off all but one of the rest of my SW figures over the past year so this guy is my last HT purchase until Bespin Han in 2024

I used a code at Popcultcha to knock 10% off AND then used reward points to knock more off.
It's a nice addition and I look forward to freeing him from his plastic prison!!

It finally arrived. This thing is huge, it's my first R2 I honestly didn't think it would be so big. I have a few gripes, but to me they are minor, nevertheless I'll share to see if it's something you run into too.

After the compulsory "all accessories" shot:

IMG_4070.jpg

The compulsory shot with Luke:

IMG_4081.jpg

The compulsory size comparison:

IMG_4090.jpg

Now, let's get to the defects.

The crouching Leia hologram has a few white spots, as if the paint is missing and light comes out of the plastic brighter.

IMG_4072.jpg

Is it normal that the copper wires on the left foot (right on the picture) are crossed?

IMG_4077.jpg

But by far the major issue seems to be this. The blue from some panel bled on the metal dome and on the white body. Here is where the bleed is most evident:

IMG_4075.jpg

And here:

IMG_4076.jpg

To me these are minor issues. I surely won't return the figure. It's fine like this. Did you encounter similar issues, though?

Looking closely at my R2, I've got a couple bleeds on some of the body areas, but none on the dome. I'll try to snap a couple for comparison. Wonder if alcohol and a Q-tip would solve the dome spots. Are the wires actually crossed on his foot, though?

Those wires look ok. I think it might be the angle that they were glued in that makes them look slightly crossed.
Bummer about the paint bleed though.
Also (pet peeve), check the angle of the feet when he is in the 3 foot configuration.
d816edf733f998b8972fad341ed7403c.jpg

Looking closely at my R2, I've got a couple bleeds on some of the body areas, but none on the dome. I'll try to snap a couple for comparison. Wonder if alcohol and a Q-tip would solve the dome spots. Are the wires actually crossed on his foot, though?

No the wires are not actually crossed, they are just bent that way. As for the q-tip I don't think I'll ever find the courage to try. I might rub off the wheathering too, or the blue from the panel itself... Unless some of you has some invaluable insight on how to do it properly.

As for the feet, yes they are bent inwards, but I don't think it's just the feet, I believe the legs are slightly pointing outwards, amplifying the effect.

Anyway the bleeds are no longer visible from a couple of feet away.

^if you have a decent hobby shop nearby you can get some precision cotton swabs that would make it much easier to only target the specific area you want to touch up. I use ones made by Tamiya but I’m sure there are others. They are much harder and hold their shape better than regular q-tips and come in a variety of precision tip shapes and sizes. You can also order them online.

267345-12732-27-pristine.jpg

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. As for the bleed on the body, I guess the only way to address it would be to cover the blue paint with white paint, correct?

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. As for the bleed on the body, I guess the only way to address it would be to cover the blue paint with white paint, correct?

Unless you're very skilled at color matching and whatnot, I'm not sure I would recommend trying to repaint. If these somewhat minor paint bleeds are bothering you you'd have to get it looking pretty sharp.

Unless you're very skilled at color matching and whatnot, I'm not sure I would recommend trying to repaint. If these somewhat minor paint bleeds are bothering you you'd have to get it looking pretty sharp.

I've never held a brush in my life :rotfl

I was suggesting the precision cotton swabs for dipping them in rubbing alcohol and gently cleaning the paint bleed off the dome precisely without getting sloppy and ruining the weathering.

It might also work for removing the bleed on the body but I?d test a very small spot in a discreet area first.

As for repainting, this particular case would warrant some very fine, high quality brushes and very good paint. Definitely not something to try if you?re not *very* confident in your painting skills.

Back