Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of getting this..... How realistic does it look in hand.... meaning does it look like plastic.... I am having trouble getting the old 1/6 Hasbro figure out of my head. lol.

Thinking of getting this..... How realistic does it look in hand.... meaning does it look like plastic.... I am having trouble getting the old 1/6 Hasbro figure out of my head. lol.

It looks fantastic in hand. The whole thing seems to be painted, not bare plastic (unlike the SSC apparently). It looks like you took the real deal and shrunk him down.

It?s like I pulled him off the Tantive IV and set him on my desk. It?s the one figure I don?t have away in the display cabinet. Looks real to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he is that good because I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Popcultcha this morning.

Trying not to think about how much I am spending on this guy!

I hope he is that good because I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Popcultcha this morning.

Trying not to think about how much I am spending on this guy!

Geez mate, four hundred dollarydoos? Oz dollar sucks.

I don't think you'll regret it though, this looks to be the best R2 to date.

I always was under the assumption that R2 came with a Leia hand based off early promo pics.
Nup!
lol.
Amazing little astro droid.
Bring on 3PO and R5!!

How does this compare to the Force Awakens one? I know paint is different but I kind of like the dirtied up TFA one. Does it have the same feel and look in person as the real deal just being shrunk down?

How does this compare to the Force Awakens one? I know paint is different but I kind of like the dirtied up TFA one. Does it have the same feel and look in person as the real deal just being shrunk down?

If you don't care about a single accessory enough to upgrade then don't. But it does have improvements over the TFA version -- body is more white, less yellow, and the blue dome panels are matte rather that glossy. The trade-off is some panels might not be 100% flush.

It is less weathered though.

a215ed7500dcbb45b2d6daaae0a5fecd.jpg

27f4602c37ab15e2e4e41d31ad29a5d1.jpg

Geez mate, four hundred dollarydoos? Oz dollar sucks.

I don't think you'll regret it though, this looks to be the best R2 to date.

Yeap $400 indeed :slap

There is no justification for it but I know this will make for a great display piece on a shelf or a desk that will also be easier to play with compared to the other figures. So it will be versatile. I had the TFA one for a while and it was really neat so I know this one will be even better because of the display options and colouring.

I sold off all but one of the rest of my SW figures over the past year so this guy is my last HT purchase until Bespin Han in 2024

If you don't care about a single accessory enough to upgrade then don't. But it does have improvements over the TFA version -- body is more white, less yellow, and the blue dome panels are matte rather that glossy. The trade-off is some panels might not be 100% flush.

It is less weathered though.

a215ed7500dcbb45b2d6daaae0a5fecd.jpg

27f4602c37ab15e2e4e41d31ad29a5d1.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I dont own an R2 yet but need one. TFA ones can go for pretty cheap on eBay, hence why Im considering it. Just need to decide if I need the additional accessories. Both look good.

I've got two of the SS ones. I've tried to talk myself into thinking I don't "need" the HT one. Proving very difficult...

Comes down to what you value.

While I don't see as much of a night-and-day improvement over the SSC (modded, not stock - dome/alcohol wipe is critical on the SSC dome) as everyone else in terms of sculpt overall and perhaps even finish/paint (though I do love the fairly crisp white and the intense blue on this version,) I will say the girth of this one really, really stands out as a major visual improvement to me.

The SSC just feels a bit petite - more about frontal width and diameter of barrel body. I will say however I would have liked to have seen the HT figure be even another 5% larger. The Tama one seems slightly larger than the HT in some ways, though it's tricky to judge when feet/legs etc don't quite align.

If the overall scale doesn't bother you on the SSC, I can see people being happy enough with it. For me, it really stood out badly. The crisp white/blue of this HT version is real plus to me also, but it's not as stark as the sizing bump-up.

The much-discussed metal dome is nice, but I've found it doesn't read as obvious metal in a variety of lighting as I thought. Under common display type lighting (like IKEA lights from above) it does pop nicely however, and maybe that's the only lighting that really matters. Some figs I just have in natural daylight a lot of the time and under that lighting the dome doesn't pop as much as real metal. The SSC with alcohol wipe does look much closer to real metal than the stock weathered way it comes.

I've got two of the SS ones. I've tried to talk myself into thinking I don't "need" the HT one. Proving very difficult...

Same here, I've got an exclusive and non exclusive. Idk if I should wait to see if sideshow will have free shipping on this in the future, or it will sell out.

Comes down to what you value.

While I don't see as much of a night-and-day improvement over the SSC (modded, not stock - dome/alcohol wipe is critical on the SSC dome) as everyone else in terms of sculpt overall and perhaps even finish/paint (though I do love the fairly crisp white and the intense blue on this version,) I will say the girth of this one really, really stands out as a major visual improvement to me.

The SSC just feels a bit petite - more about frontal width and diameter of barrel body. I will say however I would have liked to have seen the HT figure be even another 5% larger. The Tama one seems slightly larger than the HT in some ways, though it's tricky to judge when feet/legs etc don't quite align.

If the overall scale doesn't bother you on the SSC, I can see people being happy enough with it. For me, it really stood out badly. The crisp white/blue of this HT version is real plus to me also, but it's not as stark as the sizing bump-up.

The much-discussed metal dome is nice, but I've found it doesn't read as obvious metal in a variety of lighting as I thought. Under common display type lighting (like IKEA lights from above) it does pop nicely however, and maybe that's the only lighting that really matters. Some figs I just have in natural daylight a lot of the time and under that lighting the dome doesn't pop as much as real metal. The SSC with alcohol wipe does look much closer to real metal than the stock weathered way it comes.

Thanks for the info, Talibane. I haven't done the "alcohol wipe" on the domes yet. Maybe after trying that, it may make it easier to just stay with them. But I've been in the process (rather slow process) of building a 1:1 scaled R2 and would really like to have a HT R2 displayed with all of the arms extended, just to show them off.

Same here, I've got an exclusive and non exclusive. Idk if I should wait to see if sideshow will have free shipping on this in the future, or it will sell out.

Yep. That would be great if it were to go on sale but I feel it will eventually sell out and pricing will go crazy... :gah:

The alcohol wipes didn't achieve the desired effect for me - still looks like plastic. But the thing that really bothers me about the SSC is that stupid seam. Only way to fix it is to sand it down. Seeing as how it's been in its box for years maybe I'll make a little project out of it.

But I've been in the process (rather slow process) of building a 1:1 scaled R2 and would really like to have a HT R2 displayed with all of the arms extended, just to show them off.

Regarding the full scale R2, have you been posting on the R2 builders forums? I would love to see your progress since I'm planning to start one this year.:clap

But I've been in the process (rather slow process) of building a 1:1 scaled R2 and would really like to have a HT R2 displayed with all of the arms extended, just to show them off.

Regarding the full scale R2, have you been posting on the R2 builders forums? I would love to see your progress since I'm planning to start one this year.:clap

I've been a member of Astromech.net for years but haven't posted pics yet. I Basically have been purchasing parts whenever runs are made available and doing a ton of research there. I'm about 90% completed with parts acquisitions and about .05% completed in build... :lol

I did work on the dome electronics and Arduino controller. That's about it. Too many projects, just not enough time...

Back