Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope he sticks around until a free shipping offer or discount is offered. I have $100 I?m reward ss points, but I want to knock it down even more. Looks great!

I could behind this for $150 all day.

I do here you WorGar on the weathering. Wish this one had a bit more but that dome looks great

I hope it'll stick around for a discount or free global shipping.
Does SSC send low stock warning for those in your wishlist?

Lord! I love the look of the Tami 3PO! Maybe I just to break down and find one of those since HT is never going to give us one of him.

Well they've teased 3po in the promo pics so i'm guessing HT have one in the works...hence why i'm hesitate in picking up this R2 version as they might have an exclusive 2pack coming with all the bells and whistles:)

Star-Wars-Hot-Toys-R2-D2-Deluxe-2.jpg

I hope it'll stick around for a discount or free global shipping.
Does SSC send low stock warning for those in your wishlist?

It seems to take a long time for figs to sell out nowadays. I bet not many spend the $250 for this when the ss is still decent and was so much cheaper. It will be interesting to see how long this sits around.

I thought it was their TFA prototype. They showed one with a red arm somewhere, didn't they? Or am I imagining that?

They definitely did have the TFA proto. You're right--it's probably that. The belly wires are definitely not Sideshow's. But that funky thumb really stood out to me in that above shot.

ETA: I see Matrix found a shot and yep--the belly wires match!

Well they've teased 3po in the promo pics so i'm guessing HT have one in the works...hence why i'm hesitate in picking up this R2 version as they might have an exclusive 2pack coming with all the bells and whistles:)

View attachment 472455

Oh I know they've teased 3PO several times, I just don't know why they still haven't released one of them. I mean what would be the hold up if they are going to release him. We seem to get a never ending supply of repeat Marvel characters(like all of them), multiple Luke's, Stormie's, and Leia's but they can't manage to release one 3PO in dicast. Hell, maybe we would get one if they stopped working on dicast Ironman figures for one damn minute!

Got mine from Timewalker a few days ago.

TL;DR
For me, it's a mixed bag, considering I already have the Sideshow version and the TFA version, and this version combines bits of both, without really bringing anything new to the table. It's great if you've held out though.

It's a quality piece, the weathering is better than Sideshow's, it's more realistically applied. Sideshow's is more just like a paint wash compared to HT's effects.

BATTERY INSTRUCTIONS

I found out the hard way that Hot Toys' instructions are wrong, as how to insert the batteries in the dome. I inserted them as instructed, and the lights briefly lit up, but the lights and sounds didn't fire upon pressing the IR blaster. I knew the blaster worked because it lit up. I spent $15 on replacement batteries at Target, and those didn't work either, until just for the heck of it, I put the batteries in the opposite orientation as indicated in the manual .... lo an behold, it worked!

So, note to yourselves, when inserting the batteries in the dome, the flat side should be facing the spring.

THE DOME

Ironically, the same complaints I had with Sideshow's version as present in the HT, namely the periscope and saber mechanisms in the dome are clunky and function poorly. The periscope does NOT want to stay up, and the spring-loaded saber 'launch' doesn't work. It's just too clunky trying to push the saber down, while trying to slide the door closed. And the spring doesn't even launch the saber up in any convincing fashion.

THE LIGHTS

You can either have ALL lights off, solely the 'holoprojector' lights on or ALL lights on. You can't just have the blue light on, or the red light on. It just cycles through all the lights. They should've put the engineering into it to have a more robust lighting system. As it is, there's no practical reason to have a cycle with all the lights on or all the holoprojectors on. So, it essentially renders the light function useless. :/

THE ACCESSORIES

I AM tickled about all the accessories. I get a kick out of being able to plug the Fusion Furnace directly into R2 ... "You ready for some power?" Though as mentioned with the Yoda figure, this accessory is woefully underscaled, it seems like it's probably 1/12 instead 1/6. In the film it looks like it's about half the height of R2's leg, here it doesn't even reach the top of his foot. The panel doors close flushly, though the included magnetic restraining bolt does not easily open all the doors, so I used some a spare neodymium magnet I had which was much stronger.

Most of the arms connect with magnets, that's nice, you don't have to worry about tiny broken pegs. The sculpting is great on all the accessories, very finely detailed. I'm especially impressed with the grill on the radar dish. You can pull the scomp link even further out of the arm for extra distance. Some of the thinner arms are built on a long metal rod, to minimize the risk of snapping them in two, that is smart construction.

The lack of drink tray is inexplicable, except for the obvious answer that there will be yet another R2 that comes with the missing accessory.

THE SCULPT

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the ESB and TFA props, but the sculpts are the same on the HT versions, even the data card slides into the slot on the TFA version, so it's clear they had the DELUXE in mind when making the TFA version.

IN SUMMARY

All in all, I probably didn't need to purchase this version. The TFA model is good for a standalone R2, and the Sideshow version with the serving tray is really the only other iconic R2 you need. But I can imagine there will be a slimy Dagobah version and a Jabba's Palace version sooner or later. It's just too bad we're in the era of planned obsolescence where they can't just sell you end-all, be-all of R2-D2s,

Thanks for the review Swedishheat. The lights are the biggest disappointment to me as that's the only accessory I want. R2 is one of those figures you can place in any display setup but only two have the holoprojector on - showing Luke the message, showing Ben and Luke the message. Neither are scenes I'm keen to recreate.

Back