HOT TOYS QS 1/4 Darth Vader (pic courtesy Seanxlong)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any idea when this will come up for PO ? Usually HT is pretty fast once pictures arise in public no ?

I never liked Sith Helm form front view either...

I grew up in the 70's and 80's too...
But I like the rots also.

I don't mind it....

This photo looks awesome to me-- if the hot toys 1/4 can achieve this look, I'll be satisfied...
That said, my preference would've been for a ROTJ or esb version

The rots looks great and aggressive from front view ,
Straight 3/4 looks great,
but from a lower angle on 3/4 becomes weak...the edges suddenly become soft. Because the dome's brow ridge is too subtle, unlike ot.
Profile is also weaker than the to version.....not as aggressive.

Front view is great:
View attachment 180338
View attachment 180330

Lower front is so-so
View attachment 180339

This angle is a little soft compared to ot, but looks worse when looking from below
View attachment 180329
View attachment 180333

This angle looks more aggressive and skull-like especially from a front view
View attachment 180328

What really adds to the difference though is the use of flat lenses vs bubbled. Flat, tells you where exactly his lenses are, and bubbled lenses gives a sense of indefinite depth....

As long as they never use the Disney Helmet:
View attachment 180337
View attachment 180336

I don't mind that vader is a slimmer version either or has the newly machined look....gives him somewhere to go....
By the time we see him in ot, he is much bulkier...older.

Parts refurbished and replaced after so many battles,
buttons and parts repaired and re-engineered, better stronger limbs perhaps after so many years...
anakin wouldn't suddenly have a fatter torso, just cuz his limbs were replaced.

Even Frank millers dark knight was huge compared to his younger, trimmer and 20 something year old self,
so it shouldn't be terribly far fetched that vader looked different then....

perhaps his mask over the years had such wear n tear it wound up uneven and asymmetrical and beaten up....

Hey guys, I just want to open a discussion about this figure. I'm just wondering why you think Hot Toys would go with a ROTS Vader 1/4 scale. Why ROTS?
The suit had generally been derided by fans and they could have chosen any other version but choose this version. I do understand why no ESB/ROTJ Vader 1/6th scale as not to compete with the SSC Vader...but I thought HoT Toys would take the chance to give us the most iconic version of Darth Vader (ESB) in 1/4 scale. Hasn't been done and all fans would be happy. I don't see too many complaints about this version of the suit. It really doesn't make sense to me.
I'd like to here fellow collectors opinions about this.

Well they already made the ANH Vader in 1/6, and they might have figured the majority of people who owned the Sideshow Vader wouldn't want another ESB/ROTJ Vader in just a different scale, so that just left the ROTS Vader.

Plus they probably liked the fact it was so shiny and idealized in the first place.

Hey guys, I just want to open a discussion about this figure. I'm just wondering why you think Hot Toys would go with a ROTS Vader 1/4 scale. Why ROTS?
The suit had generally been derided by fans and they could have chosen any other version but choose this version. I do understand why no ESB/ROTJ Vader 1/6th scale as not to compete with the SSC Vader...but I thought HoT Toys would take the chance to give us the most iconic version of Darth Vader (ESB) in 1/4 scale. Hasn't been done and all fans would be happy. I don't see too many complaints about this version of the suit. It really doesn't make sense to me.
I'd like to here fellow collectors opinions about this.

I think it's because they wanted something different enough from the ot version to help justify the purchase of of two of the same character in 1/6 and 1/4.
If it's the same version ( ot basically) then it's just a matter of which size to buy.
By creating a pt version, it's a matter of getting different variations of characters, like the stormtroopers....
easier to justify when the costumes are obviously and intentionally different.

I don't mind that vader is a slimmer version either or has the newly machined look....gives him somewhere to go....
By the time we see him in ot, he is much bulkier...older.

Parts refurbished and replaced after so many battles,
buttons and parts repaired and re-engineered, better stronger limbs perhaps after so many years...
anakin wouldn't suddenly have a fatter torso, just cuz his limbs were replaced.

Even Frank millers dark knight was huge compared to his younger, trimmer and 20 something year old self,
so it shouldn't be terribly far fetched that vader looked different then....

perhaps his mask over the years had such wear n tear it wound up uneven and asymmetrical and beaten up....

:goodpost::exactly:

Yes, this is the same explanation I was thinking of. You just articulated it superbly!

Wear and tear, getting old and replacement/upgraded parts.

Can't wait to add this to my collection. Like 99% of people I don't care what the nerds are having a problem with when it comes to this figure.

Looks like you are having problems with maths, if you take a quick look at the posts it is certaintly much less than 99%.

If you want to add it, good for you, doesn't mean others are not entitled to their opinions.

Funny you call people nerds still, nerds can do maths and sampling at least :lecture

This was probably the most disappointing/wtf item at the convention :lol It looked pretty bad in person, I'm guessing it will still see some revisions but according to the Sideshow Staff it is a ROTS Vader. I asked them why, and the best guess was it was an easier one to do with all the digital files available to the Hot Toys team.

But I have zero interest in this version of Vader, even if it were a perfect rendition and $200 (which I'm guessing it will be over $400) I'd still pass on it since it's a crap design.

To be honest, even though I really liked the movie...I am disappointed it's not an OT suit. I think a Hot Toys 1/4 ANH, ESB, or ROTJ poseable figure would've been the best Vader yet.

Well to be fair, even if it was an OT Vader, there likely still would have been all kinds of accuracy issues with it.

Although at least this time we wouldn't have to worry about it being too tall. :p

Well to be fair, even if it was an OT Vader, there likely still would have been all kinds of accuracy issues with it.

Although at least this time we wouldn't have to worry about it being too tall. :p

Very likely true...;)

The 1/6 ANH Vader they had on display looked incredible... I think there are a few minor issues with the mask on the 1/6 that throw it off, but I'd say it's certainly the best 1/6 version to date.

The sideshow PF looked really good in person as well, I was a lot more impressed with that piece than I expected.

As I said, this 1/4 ROTS from HT is a prototype, so I'm sure corrections will be made. But at the very least the helmet looked gigantic, and like something I'd expect on a Tonner figure. I appreciate them sharing the prototype, but it should have either been refined more, or even been shown with some pictures to show what else they planned on doing. As it was, there wasn't even a card identifying what it was supposed to be, just that it was a prototype... I don't think it was even identified as Hot Toys, but I might be wrong about that.

I already got my ROTS Vader for a cheaper price.

Yey for Vader......:lol

IMAGE9.asp

May not be right scale...

I get that the ROTS is the only version not to be released recently. But my lord Vader wouldn't a 1/4 scale ESB Vader have been blowing up this forum. Don't tell me you guys who own the SS Vader or pre ordering the ANH Vader wouldn't be happy. I don't care. I've always said that ESB characterizes the OT characters best, both dialogue wise, plot wise, and design wise. That's just me. But I want a 1/4 Vader ESB most. With a Bespin stand, come on guys.

Back