1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did see some pics Justin took apparently before The video and you could see the lights in the eyes unlike the video. I am curious if one could take the head, crack it open and maybe figure out a way to move the led to be closer to the front?

I have to believe those eyes were defective or something right? They didn't appear to be lit up at all. Major fail if that is actually how they look in hand.

There are some very good parts to this Jawa like no seam on top of his hood, which is a major improvement on the Sideshow. But the bad points are VERY bad and are a real downer.

HT just released one of the nicest 1/6 figures ever in Krennic so I don't think they are washed, but certainly not above criticism when warranted. I would like to think they would have been ashamed of these clamshell bases back when they made figures like DX07.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Yep. This is no longer the guarantee it used to be.

We are at the beginning of the end of an incredible run.

You can't say that right after Krennic. But .... what is even on the horizon? It's all PT and Mando now. Is there even one outstanding OT figure on pre-order beside Leia/Wicket now?

We knew the robe color was off when these were shown at sdcc. I really want the gonk so the ht Will be my Jawa that hangs with jabba. Sucks this set is a bit of a turd. If it was $150, fine, but hot toys could buy us dinner and lube is up first with that price.

Re: Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

You can't say that right after Krennic. But .... what is even on the horizon? It's all PT and Mando now. Is there even one outstanding OT figure on pre-order beside Leia/Wicket now?

I believe Leia/Wicket is indeed the last of the OT figures:( Need a robust drop of OT stuff at virtual SDCC 2020!

Edit: did a quick preorder check. There is the HT exclusive Kenner Fett if you count that. Also Sideshow Skiff Lando and Rancor.

Re: Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Vintage Boba Fett if you count that lol

I guess I don't count vintage Boba, that crossed my mind after my post. They've done the two from the flicks, even the pre-production and silly animated version.

Don't count the rerelease Vader of course. I'm surprised, I was assuming I was forgetting something important. Hopefully that means that virtual SDCC has some good reveals. I don't believe that HT assumes any Star Wars is going to capture all of the $$ out there. Next bet for OT would be Bespin Luke, Han, and Lando.

Beyond that it's anyone's guess. None of the past non-releases seem particularly timely (Sandtrooper, Death Star trooper) but that could change if any of those show up in Mando.

Hey everyone, thanks for watching my video. Let me address a few concerns.

Firstly the sideshow jawas are still great. Someone suggested I was trying to make them look worse by not futzing them more. Not true, in fact I praise them in the video. Mine are so floppy and loose that if I try to futz the robes standing up, they fall over and the accessories go flying so with their state I did the best I could.

Second, the lights were on. Even with the batteries fresh just popped in they were that dim and sunken back. I don?t understand why I?d not turn them on at all, whoever suggested that.

Third, don?t forget it seems like HT is cheating us here, but there are a few things to consider. It?s an all new HT body which is a huge investment by them, also the gonk is big and engineered probably too well. Couple that with the super small run and boom you?ve got a high price for in our minds little value. Not saying it?s right but it?s what they needed to do to make it happen.

Fourth, the hood is on a velcro patch atop his head so no it cannot really go any further forward.

Fifth, the weathering is a lot more prominent in person, the camera seems to soften that detail. Check my Instagram pics for a better look.

Sixth, the accessories including the bandoliers I prefer with the HT figure. They?re easier to work with and sit nicely on the body, my SS ones flop around like a wet towel in a washing machine. So hard to get them to look right.

In future if anyone has any questions just leave a comment on my vid, I reply to them all.

Last edited:
So I’ve decided I’m going to get the HT jawa for no other reason that the secondary market for the sideshow Jawas is already going up. And I just won’t be taken advantage of. But I’m disappointed with any figure that I purchase and have to think about modding.

If HT had executed everything well I probably wouldn't be close to cancellation. If the bases were nicely painted quality plastic, if the Gonk felt solid instead of cheap, if the fricken eyes lit up(mind you the only important part of the "sculpt"). It wasn't enough that a Jawa and a Gonk were overpriced at $270 in the first place, it appears they have cut corners in addition. Sure there is a new body, but there also is no head sculpt to paint.

Picture from Justin?s page. Eyes definitely red/orange. But looking at his, the shape of the eyes are much different than the final product ones that seemed to have eye lids. Maybe they have eye lids that can be moved to give a more rounded look?

d7da6ab69557205d48b39ecb4d363afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picture from Justin?s page. Eyes definitely red/orange. But looking at his, the shape of the eyes are much different than the final product ones that seemed to have eye lids. Maybe they have eye lids that can be moved to give a more rounded look?

d7da6ab69557205d48b39ecb4d363afc.jpg

Well that pretty well does it for me, I think I have to cancel this. The eyes are ****ing red!!!??? I mean really, why?

I'm guessing the release of The Mandalorian Jawa two pack is right around the corner:mad:
530cb420ecae1d5a2f37fd18b076c11a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review and clarifications Justin.:clap

While I love the hood construction (no seam!) and texture of the HT robe, I think the key problems that emanate from the video re the Jawa:

-- lights just too dim (especially next to the SSC version's bright eyes) It almost seems like HT were going for an effect that the old Hasbro 12" scale Jawas got right, where a single LED is put further back to get the intensity a bit more random. It goes without saying that to some degree a Jawa figure lives or dies on how the light-up eyes look.

-- without the lights (or even with them on) the "eyes" and "face" just look too simplistic and cartoony to me. They're these shiny black domes that look cutesy cartoon. While you'd assume "you never see it anyway" I've noticed the reverse - most of the time, my Sideshow Jawa lights are off, and you see both the eyes and face pretty clearly, and the SSC eyes/face looks quite decent with lights off.

-- to me at least it's odd they gave the Jawa the ROTJ rifle that is least associated with ANH Jawas (though it's always used in the exhibitions) The blunderbuss style is cool but the other gun (the "shooting R2" one) is clearly the iconic Jawa gun, and even the one the Kenner figures and later Hasbro 12" Jawas came with. I think it was that tiny Medicom Jawa that started using the blunderbuss, maybe modeled on ROTJ.

-- the robe color just seems too light and orange. While the Sideshow one is not really correct either (not reddish enough,) at least its a darker shade like the Jawas in ANH. These pics below are probably the clearest daylight ref pics of the Jawa robes taken from the new 4K transfer (though obviously different color timing will change the robe color a bit print to print, especially with something that's brownish.)

Note I have lightened these images up very slightly to show the color a bit better.

1DqOmFm.jpg

You can really see in that shot how much further the hoods should be hanging over their heads than HT made it.

Like with most of their other SW figures, seems like HT couldn't resist making them just a little too cute and idealized.

The key features essential for a 1/6 Jawa fig that you notice from "normal viewing distance" are:

1. the overall shape and drape of the robe - should be drooped/pointed hood, lots of flow/creases in somewhat oversized robe
2. the color of robe - should be on the darker side, preferably reddish brown
3. the eyes - if lit up should be quite bright, either pinpoint small like ANH or larger round like ROTJ, if not lit up should roughly approximate the look of lit up
4. the leather belts/pouches - should hang nicely with some weight and look like real leather

I'd argue that the Sideshow version ticks all four of those boxes, whereas the HT only ticks one or two (although not as drapey as SSC, overall HT robe shape/drape is good, and HT belts are okay from normal viewing distance, hiding their pleather-y appearance.)

A key problem is that the three main advantages of the HT over the SSC (better body, better fabric texture and no-seam hood) aren't all that visible from a normal viewing distance of say 3 feet away.

So I’ve decided I’m going to get the HT jawa for no other reason that the secondary market for the sideshow Jawas is already going up. And I just won’t be taken advantage of. But I’m disappointed with any figure that I purchase and have to think about modding.

That's amazing - there was a time when it seemed Sideshow couldn't give those Jawas away. I ended up getting two sets (4 Jawas) for under $250 shipped maybe two years ago.

I'm guessing the release of The Mandalorian Jawa two pack is right around the corner:mad

The 'off-world' Jawas in The Mandalorian also have different coloured robes than their Tatooine cousins.

So this HT release is a bit of a mish-mash. I'm keeping my preorder with the mind to do some LED work on the head. Pretty crap thing to have to do for such a high priced figure.

Hot Toys has me under some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

Just watched Justin?s review. Still a hard pass for me for the price.

I'm guessing the hollow Gonk is due to them not wanting a lot of weight sitting on those bendy legs, so I can forgive them for that.

But the Jawa looks kinda cartoony and idealized to me. Is that black inner lining in the hood accurate? Looks odd.

How many of us contacted HT regarding robes or eyes color after prototypes were revealed or they went up for pre-order?

Back