1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I’d be in for another R5-D4. Already have Sideshow’s which I’m pretty happy with. We’ll see if it’s announced or not.

Looking at the eyes, in ANH they do seem to be a tad bit squinty and not round so these eyes while the color may be off, the shape seems to be right
c55cf770f38f2ec00374a2dda171fedb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SSC R5 is an extremely well done droid - although slightly outta Scale , but I?m fine perfectly with that.

...until HT puts out a nicer version :lol

Even though I like the slightly chunkier HT R2 body, I actually took one look at the HT prototype and went and bought the SSC version.:lol

While it has that very nice HT R2 body sculpt, the HT R5 head has a lot of smaller sculpt errors - the "mirrored CD" rectangles are too widely spaced, the in-step on the head is slightly too much, the bare-metal strip on the top of the body is a bit too narrow. Even the taper of the head looked a tad too much to me at the time.

The SSC one has a few small errors too - the "eyes" have no narrower stalks behind them for example - but they are less noticeable to me than the HT version's. It's funny they both went with the wrong middle leg details though.

I like the robes on these, though as expected they don't quite have the flow/futz-ability of the Sideshow robes. You can see in a few pics where the lower robes seem a bit stiff/flat, but in about half the pics they seem okay. I love the weave look. The weathering is also a bit beter than the Sideshow robes, though some SSC robes look much better than than others.

The gun is also a really nice sculpt, but the bandoliers are not as good as the Sideshow versions as a few have mentioned - like not even close. The SSc versions are a bit more accurate and look like real leather - these look very pleather-y.

While I guess you rarely see them, the feet/lower legs on these look pretty strange - skinny and undersized.

Really not a fan of how they did the whole face/eyes/inner hood. HT seems to have made the mistake of using the SW exhibitions costume as the basis, not what they were like in ANH. The costumes were an actor with a black hood covered in gaffer's tape to secure lights "goggles" whereas LFL seems to have made a kind of "cloth face" for the exhibitions (or maybe they were made for ROTJ, not as many ref pics for ROTJ Jawas.) So it's not like a black-color head within a hood, it's more like a black fabric shield as the face that attaches directly to the outer edges of the brown hood.

Like in the movie, I guess you only see it in certain lighting, but really not a fan.:( And the black plastic upper "eyelids" I don't like either. Maybe some of this relates to the way they are in Mando?

DyxgkCg.jpg

Do you have any good quality pics of the Jawa heads under the hoods? In addition to swapping on a Sideshow leather bandolier from the look of the HT head I think I will want to find some black tape and cut thin strips to apply to the head for my "hero" Jawa.

Even though I like the slightly chunkier HT R2 body, I actually took one look at the HT prototype and went and bought the SSC version.:lol

While it has that very nice HT R2 body sculpt, the HT R5 head has a lot of smaller sculpt errors - the "mirrored CD" rectangles are too widely spaced, the in-step on the head is slightly too much, the bare-metal strip on the top of the body is a bit too narrow. Even the taper of the head looked a tad too much to me at the time.

The SSC one has a few small errors too - the "eyes" have no narrower stalks behind them for example - but they are less noticeable to me than the HT version's. It's funny they both went with the wrong middle leg details though.
Having both the Hot Toys R2 is a far, far more satisfying figure in my opinion. Just looks better, feels better, the diecast dome looks nicer. Sideshow’s feels like a toy, Hot Toys’ feels like a collectible.

Hehe he is taller but that?s due to R5?s taller dome, which makes him a bit closer scale-wise compared to the SSC R2 units. I wondering if HT would throw some die cast on him. Hah... I remember someone doing a custom remote R5 with the connected legs and larger wheels. Was that you? That was pretty sick.

Do you have any good quality pics of the Jawa heads under the hoods? In addition to swapping on a Sideshow leather bandolier from the look of the HT head I think I will want to find some black tape and cut thin strips to apply to the head for my "hero" Jawa.

There?s this shot. I?m sure Tali?s got some good of Jawa refs.

10FA6B54-6F5F-4BAB-9E05-4D2CFFC26B4B.jpeg

I didn?t squint the eyes but made them smaller on one of my Jawas.

9CBD36D0-DDC1-42A9-8DEE-273F247C1389.jpg

Having both the Hot Toys R2 is a far, far more satisfying figure in my opinion. Just looks better, feels better, the diecast dome looks nicer. Sideshow’s feels like a toy, Hot Toys’ feels like a collectible.

I'm talking about the accuracy of the sculpt of the HT R5-D4 dome, not comparing HT and SSC R2s.

I would argue that based on the HT proto, the best 1/6 R5D4 would be a SSC R5 dome on either a HT R2 Body or the Taito R2 clock body (which is the ONLY 1/6 R2 body that to me has the girth R2 should have, though obviously it's a Japanese clock so the detail sculpt isn't as good or sharp as either the HT or SSC R2 bodies.)

Hehe he is taller but that?s due to R5?s taller some, which makes him a bit closer scale-wise compared to the SSC R2 units. I wondering if HT would throw some die cast on him. Hah... I remember someone doing a custom remote R5 with the connected legs and larger wheels. Was that you? That was pretty sick.

There?s this shot. I?m sure Tali?s got some good of Jawa refs.

View attachment 485443

I didn?t squint the eyes but made them smaller on one of my Jawas.

View attachment 485442

Yeah, here's a slightly better detail version of DR's shots above. The way HT has done the head is sort of like the way those couple of Jawas in ROTJ are - like the ANH way of doing the face was too labor intensive so they used a circle of black fabric that the "eyes" protruded through and they sewed that circle to the outer edges of the hood.

It looks fine hidden in the darkness of Jabba's throne room but I just prefer the ANH look, which is basically a head covered in tiny black "bandages" and the eye lights glow from slits in that bandage face.

Those odd "eyelid" eyes HT has done are also a bit strange, but maybe that's from Mando. There really is no canon take on what a Jawa's face/head looks like, so I guess it's all open but I just like to go with what you see onscreen or on set.

One major question no one I think has answered - how do the HT eyes turn on? I really don't like the way the SSC eyes turn on because you've futzed the hood just right, then have to mess it up to turn the switch on the back of the head.

E5X5mZC.jpg

Thanks for the Jawa pics guys, I am think black electrical tape cut in thin strips for the head...

Yeah even Hasbro on the smaller Jawas did that bandage/tape look for the face. It's more distinctive than the flatter face, and more screen accurate.

HT's choice for their Jawa face is a mystery - you'd think if LFL allows/encourages it on smaller figs, they'd do the same on the 1/6.

I mean even the 1970s Kenner Jawa figures (both 3 3/4" and 12" scale versions) had that "bandage" detailing on the face.:dunno

IMG_3039.JPG

Star-Wars-Black-Series-Jawa-01.JPG

It's almost like cutting out the "face" from the 40 year old Kenner Jawa doll and using it on the new HT fig would look better than what HT has produced for the face. The 40 year old eyes look more screen accurate and it has the bandages look to the face.

ZuIAAnA.jpg

Yeah even Hasbro on the smaller Jawas did that bandage/tape look for the face. It's more distinctive than the flatter face, and more screen accurate.

HT's choice for their Jawa face is a mystery - you'd think if LFL allows/encourages it on smaller figs, they'd do the same on the 1/6.

I mean even the 1970s Kenner Jawa figures (both 3 3/4" and 12" scale versions) had that "bandage" detailing on the face.:dunno

IMG_3039.JPG

Star-Wars-Black-Series-Jawa-01.JPG

It's almost like cutting out the "face" from the 40 year old Kenner Jawa doll and using it on the new HT fig would look better than what HT has produced for the face. The 40 year old eyes look more screen accurate and it has the bandages look to the face.

ZuIAAnA.jpg

Yeah agreed, the more I look at that HT "sculpt" the more I dislike it. These comparison pics you posted above have put it on notice. Definitely requires a tape job.

I'm only planning to display one Jawa on my shelf, so I'm happy I kept the SSC Jawa I own to mix and match parts to make the best version.

Looking at the Facebook pics...
Pros
Robes, color, weave, and weight of fabric overall looks much better.
Body and overall proportions. I loathe the bodies SSC used.
Weapon looks great.
I wish the face had cloth wrappings, but at least it's cloth and not the weird plastic of SSC.

Cons.
Bandoliers, that will be the first thing I switch out. SSC's are so good, they really almost look like custom work.
*Eyes. This one I'm still waiting to see in person, but from those images I think , although a little oversized SideShow did a better job.
Gloves, I like the scale, sculpt, and variety of Sideshow better.

Last edited:
I'm only planning to display one Jawa on my shelf, do I'm happy I kept the SSC Jawa I own to mix and match parts to make the best version.

Looking at the Facebook pics...
Pros
Robes, color, weave, and weight of fabric overall looks much better.
Body and overall proportions. I loathe the bodies SSC used.
Weapon looks great.
I wish the face had cloth wrappings, but at least it's cloth and not the weird plastic of SSC.

Cons.
Bandoliers, that will be the first thing I switch out. SSC's are so good, they really almost look like custom work.
*Eyes. This one I'm still waiting to see in person, but from those images I think , although a little oversized SideShow did a better job.
Gloves, I like the scale, sculpt, and variety of Sideshow better.

Yeah the color and weave of the robes just screams "JAWA!" :lol

Though it's a bit like Leia's ANH dress - if you actually look at ref pics of the ANH Jawas, their robes are almost as flow-y and drape-y as Leia's dress (lots of creases and folds) and that's almost impossible to match in 1/6, even though the weave and color of the HT robes sells it better.

In looking even closer at the pic, it seems like maybe the circle of the "face" is actually hard plastic? But quite smooth and sculpted to match the fabric around it? It's hard to say at this point but it doesn't seem to match the fabric up-close.

And it seems like maybe the eyes have a yellow and red setting? Hard to say because bloggers love their photoshop.

ZUyZrBA.png

Also, these super-skinny feet/legs look pretty strange and out of proportion, but yeah I guess you never see them.

fIATP5k.jpg

The more I look at the pictures the less excited I get... the only thing I really prefer here is the shape of the hood, which can be hard to accomplish with the SSC ones. The robes look to be more prop accurate than the SSC ones, but on screen the robes looked darker. More like the SSC color. And they float and drape much better. ...And a lighter Jawa might not look very good next to the others...
And the Gonk and bandoliers just look so flat... I?m seriously considering canceling this order. First time. [emoji848] ...hope both are better in hand.

The HT Jawa robe color is almost closer to the Kenner Jawa body and plastic cape, while the Sideshow Jawa robe color is probably closer to Ben Kenobi's outer robe costume.

Onscreen the Jawa robes have a lot of maroon/red in the brown and are quite dark. I thought about using Rit dye "wine" color on one of my SSC robes to see how it would look, but I never got around to testing what the fabric was and whether it would take regular dye.

Like the Biker Scout armor, the onscreen Jawa robes are also quite badly weathered - almost like someone attacked them with a brush dipped in off-white paint. So I guess some things you don't want screen accurate.:lol

Wow. Hot Toys have really cheaped out with the diorama base. And I though Bespin styrofoam Leia was cheap. I guess we should be grateful we are getting a base at all unlike with R2D2.

Looks like the light switch is the same annoying spot as the SS one and the eyes are red, may look slightly yellowish at the periphery.

This is a pretty disappointing release and clearly Mandalorian based (eye color and weapon) and not ANH.

Last edited:
Yeah, for such an expensive release, there are a few negatives piling up. Sounds like the body is good from what the guy in the review said, and the robe is still the standout of the release, but yikes that base.

And red-only eyes - what an odd choice to pair with the gonk. Why not just call it a Mando Jawa? I assumed it had a red or yellow option with the eye color.

I was struck by how much the figure looked like a plush Jawa toy in a number of shots, almost with an animated character face or something....

skyGJ5O.png

That Jawa face/head I'm liking less and less - same silly switch system as the SSC and the reality is, the lights are off 99% of the time and I'm really not liking the "lights off" face/look. The cutesy animated Jawa eyes, the smooth plastic face surface.:gah:

This figure never really looked superb as a proto, but still, a bit of a letdown because there's only the gonk to fill out the set and it's fine, but a somewhat lackluster accessory to elevate such an expensive set as a whole. For the price and quality overall, this really should have been two Jawas and the gonk.

Pic from Star Wars costume book. Robe colour and weave looks very close. Eyes aren’t squinted. The head looks quite smooth in this particular pic but that doesn’t mean it’s screen accurate.
0686A586-E5AA-446B-9E92-A78155ED152C.jpeg

Usually, I would complain about a release like this they way my wife complains about basically anything. Overpriced, cheap base, overpriced again. But, I love the droid. Really cool and the Jawa is ok. I never light up my figures so the eyes won?t bother me. I have the ss Jawas and r5 so this will go with them. Now, I have enough Jawas, unless another one comes out with a different droid.

Back