1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Golden Age Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to watch this again tomorrow :banana

Your TFA looks good as hell :clap

Thanks man. :duff

That is a great display. It looks like something we would see at a show. Love the lighting and great job on your Cap!

Thanks buddy. :)

Hi Remy. You're FA looks great. Would you mind sharing how you modded the helmet?(battle damage in particular) I've been tempted to try weathering some things but not sure about the technique. Is it using silvers or lighter colors dry brushed?

Also, just curious how you'd transplant him to a larger TT. Wouldn't the suit be too small for the advanced muscular body? Not to mention the head being too small? Not saying it can't be done, as I'd love to see it. Just wondering how you'd go about it. Thanks in advance.

Sure, I used acrylic gloss varnish to add sheen to the helmet.
To my surprise, it actually darkened the helmet which I wanted to do in the first place cause it seems from the movie, his helmet
Looks like a darker blue.
Then, I dry brushed silver on the helmet for scratch marks.
On some scratch marks, I also added some very watered down black to make the some silver scratches to look stained.

Its been awhile since I modded mine, and although I wanted to replace the body, I only added foam or cotton at the back to add a little mass.
I wanted to replace the body, but as you pointed out, the problem is the suit is very tight and the bigger body most likely wouldn't fit.

As pop also pointed out, if you had a standard foot peg, replacing it with a longer peg makes a world of a difference.

The GA looks like it would be great even when stock.
My main concern is still the helmet, I hope if doesn't look to plasticky like the
TFA, or else, I'm gonna have to mod it also.
But I really like the bulk on this figure.
As much as I love my modded one, Ive always been tempted to mod the body to a bigger true type.
Looks like ht fixed this issue...it looks like they gave the GA cap lots of sandwich. :)

Looks great Remy, I did something similar with mine, but i really thrashed him in mud.
:lol

makes a nice contrast with super clean Spangled version..

Damn, really regret not getting this when I had the chance. After seeing the movie, this one looks awesome.

Looks great Remy, I did something similar with mine, but i really thrashed him in mud.
:lol

makes a nice contrast with super clean Spangled version..

Now that is one bad @$$ Captain America. I love the weathered look. That takes guts. For some reason I always keep my figures in pristine condition in case I need to sell them. However, this new Golden Age Captain America makes me want to splotch mod on him, dirty his face and dry brush scratches on the helmet just as you did. Seriously, man. Fantastic job. It is exactly what I want to do.

I'm a little more confident in my painting abilities and color matching but have no clue how to do weathering and dirt. Scratches I think I can figure out but do you guys use chalks for dirt and then seal with an acrylic spray? (On painted parts only) I've seen that costume dirt powder as well. Should probably pick some up.

I'm a little more confident in my painting abilities and color matching but have no clue how to do weathering and dirt. Scratches I think I can figure out but do you guys use chalks for dirt and then seal with an acrylic spray? (On painted parts only) I've seen that costume dirt powder as well. Should probably pick some up.

You can also use tamiya weathering master sets. They have loads of colours available.

Looks good Rory. :hi5:
The TFA is really night and day once given some elbow grease like the dx12.

Big props to hot toys though, I was initially gonna pass on the golden age cause I thought it would be just a tweaked TFA figure, but instead, its a complete different figure from scratch.
Really glad I was able to PO one.

Looks good Rory. :hi5:
The TFA is really night and day once given some elbow grease like the dx12.

Big props to hot toys though, I was initially gonna pass on the golden age cause I thought it would be just a tweaked TFA figure, but instead, its a complete different figure from scratch.
Really glad I was able to PO one.
Yeah, me too. I have a feeling it's going to be even better than the proto pics.
:rock

For models and remote control planes I use chalk pastels, non oil based. All I do is scrape a small amount onto a sheet of white paper. Use a small brush to apply the resulting powder. Just dab the brush gently into the edge of the powder and gingerly brush the surface of what you want to weather. Apply a little at a time and work light to dark. This helps prevent over application. Seal with a spray based clear coat. Works wonders.

For scrapes I use oil based model paint. Usually model master Chrome Silver. It stands out the most and a litgle goes a long way. Use an very tiny brush, dab it in paint and the brush it across a napkin to remove excess. Gently brush edges and seams where you want to show wear. Again. A little goes a long way so apply it very sparingly and build up to the look you want. For added worn looks, go over it with the powder technique, brushing the edges of the silver with black. Will make it pop and look aged.

Not sure what people do for the fabric. I was planning on using real dirt. Like trying baseball field dust, fresh mulch, and dry dirt. Should give the right effect if applied lightly. Again, a clear coat (matte) would seal it into the fabric. No clear coat would make handling the figure potentially messy, but you could hand wash the clothing pieces in a bowl or sink and air dry them if you wanted a clean look again. Sealing the fabric with a light clear coat would make it permanent. Hell...now that I think about it, I bet hair spray would seal dirt the best on fabric. Dries easily and I use that technique to seal pastel and pencil art from smudging.

The first one was actually good. The problem was it was a Half-A$$ release.
It reminded me a lot of Batman DX12 where it needed lots of mods to make the figure shine.

The helmet bugged me as it looked to plasticky, but with battle damage and gloss, it made a huge difference.
I believe I also stuffed mine cause he was on the skinny side.
Lots of weathering including the upper torso, glossed boots and gloves, repainted the lips and leather straps on the helmet, and huge mod on the shield with dull gloss and battle damage, etc.

But the thing that I love with the new HT Golden age is the size of the body. I think it looks more in proportion with Evans when wearing the suit. Also I love shoulder area looks more natural compared to the TFA.
So I'm extremely stoked I was able to pre-order it. :)

I'm glad I was able to PO GA cap aswell... but I'm not sure if I'll keep him, Brad Pitt cap still looks good :lecture

Someone help me out clarify what is going on, on the Sideshow page, if you search for Captain America, the Golden Age is listed as a preview that will be available for preorder. If you search for it on the Archives, it is already listed as a wait list item. I saw it available for pre-order for 1, I say again 1, day it was gone. I really, really, really want this figure, so what is my situation am I screwed out of it???:gah:

Someone help me out clarify what is going on, on the Sideshow page, if you search for Captain America, the Golden Age is listed as a preview that will be available for preorder. If you search for it on the Archives, it is already listed as a wait list item. I saw it available for pre-order for 1, I say again 1, day it was gone. I really, really, really want this figure, so what is my situation am I screwed out of it???:gah:

Simple answer - get on the waitlist - Right Now!

It went to waitlist in less than a day.
Should have gotten on the list that day.

I couldnt believe it would only be posted for less than a day, I usually need 3 days to plan out what to sell or move around. I am glad I preordered Batman/Bruce/Alfred Armory, Black Widow, and Thor.

There was no deposit, and it didn't require immediate payment.
And item like this needs to be ordered the second it goes up, just in case.

Back