1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 320 - Star Wars Ep.VII - Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope he still has a mask, as I don't need nor want to be staring at Adam Driver's ugly mug for 2+hours.... Nothing villain like at all with that face. Nothing scary about a scar on his face. He's not going to instill fear with that mug staring at you... Everyone needs to remove masks and show their faces today in movies. The actors are whiny babies and want to make sure the kiddies now who's under the mask. Like the only reason people would see this is to see and know it's Adam Driver under there. That was the best part of the OT, never seeing Vader's identity till the end of ROTJ. Same with Fett. Seeing who they are too soon ruins the mystique of the character. Even seems that Phasma will be without helmet from photo's. Must make sure all the girls realize it's a girl under there for girl empowerment. No mysteries anymore... :(

After enjoying TFA, this movie worries more and more as we see new peaks and glimpses... :(

I really hope he still has a mask, as I don't need nor want to be staring at Adam Driver's ugly mug for 2+hours.... Nothing villain like at all with that face. Nothing scary about a scar on his face. He's not going to instill fear with that mug staring at you... Everyone needs to remove masks and show their faces today in movies. The actors are whiny babies and want to make sure the kiddies now who's under the mask. Like the only reason people would see this is to see and know it's Adam Driver under there. That was the best part of the OT, never seeing Vader's identity till the end of ROTJ. Same with Fett. Seeing who they are too soon ruins the mystique of the character. Even seems that Phasma will be without helmet from photo's. Must make sure all the girls realize it's a girl under there for girl empowerment. No mysteries anymore... :(

After enjoying TFA, this movie worries more and more as we see new peaks and glimpses... :(

Adam's Kylo is far from whiny. He's actually a good actor for a change, the only ones i see whining are the kids whining about someone actually doing a good job for once.

Adam's Kylo is far from whiny. He's actually a good actor for a change, the only ones i see whining are the kids whining about someone actually doing a good job for once.

People will complain if he is too much like Darth Vader and people will complain he is not enough like Vader. :lol

Ummm.. Where in my comment did I say anything about him being whiny and giving a whiny performance, and not being a good actor?? I saw the original SW movie released in 1977 in an actual theater as a kid. I have every vintage figure up to the POTF line in '85 as I was outgrowing playing with toys. You can do the math as to my age..

Ummm.. Where in my comment did I say anything about him being whiny and giving a whiny performance, and not being a good actor?? I saw the original SW movie released in 1977 in an actual theater as a kid. I have every vintage figure up to the POTF line in '85 as I was outgrowing playing with toys. You can do the math as to my age..

Right i stand corrected, you said he was ugly.

(BTW just a heads up Kylo really isn't meant to instill fear like Vader in this trilogy. He's meant to be a tragic character. (unlike the Anakin we got in ep3) And he's going back to the lightside eventually so......) BANK ON IT!
:)

Right i stand corrected, you said he was ugly.

:lol ..... I really mean he's just not visually menacing as a big bad evil villain. Other than Dooku/Darth Tyranus who was frightening in a regal manor, every other Sith Lord that I know of in the movies, novels and comics, are pretty scary looking guys. Mask or no mask. Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Darth Bane, Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Darth Malgus, Darth Plagueis, Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, Darth Krayt, Exar Kun, can't list em all, but I hope you get the picture. Adam Driver simply does not fit that profile. He's a character that needs the mask on to be menacing and frightening. Adam Driver is not gonna give anyone nightmares, or cause fear and panic. He should've at least developed some yellow Sith eyes. I mean he did kill his own father after all. Not much more you can do to be evil than that.

kylo.jpg

Yeah, sorry. But ummm.. NO thanks. :lol

Yet he's still not technically a Sith. (at least yet) And i think that's the point. He's not meant to be menacing cause he's playing with the lightside you can't flirt with the light as be TOTAL BADD-ASS SCARY LOOKING DUDE!

Yet he's still not technically a Sith.

Yes, but he is being trained in their ways by Snoke... He knows enough of the force to rip thoughts out of people's minds and stop blaster bolts dead in the air. Obviously he gave into his hate in order to kill his father. The turning point from a jedi to a sith, or for any force user at this point. Being a Sith is a label. Darth is a title. I'm sure we'll see more, and I do hope he grows into being a good villain. He's just not there yet.

Remember too, hes not a kid like Rey who's 19. He's 29-30 in TFA. He's been training to be evil for a good 10+ years. Anakin did it in 3?

Yes, but he is being trained in their ways by Snoke... He knows enough of the force to rip thoughts out of people's minds and stop blaster bolts dead in the air. Obviously he gave into his hate in order to kill his father. The turning point from a jedi to a sith, or for any force user at this point. Being a Sith is a label. Darth is a title. I'm sure we'll see more, and I do hope he grows into being a good villain. He's just not there yet.

Remember too, hes not a kid like Rey who's 19. He's 29-30 in TFA. He's been training to be evil for a good 10+ years. Anakin did it in 3?

If he's been working at being evil for "a good 10+ years" and he doesn't look menacing, then maybe the plan is to turn him back to the light side and Rey goes dark........

If he's been working at being evil for "a good 10+ years" and he doesn't look menacing, then maybe the plan is to turn him back to the light side and Rey goes dark........

That is actually one of the many fan theories floating out there... Or both are good, and Luke is the evil villain, since after all Mark Hamill has openely stated he did not like at all the direction director Rian Johnson was going with Luke. It's kinda sad to find out Disney has no plan or direction for this series, and that they are allowing each director to do their thing.. That's scarier than Lucas' ideas for the prequels.

That is actually one of the many fan theories floating out there... Or both are good, and Luke is the evil villain, since after all Mark Hamill has openely stated he did not like at all the direction director Rian Johnson was going with Luke. It's kinda sad to find out Disney has no plan or direction for this series, and that they are allowing each director to do their thing.. That's scarier than Lucas' ideas for the prequels.

Yeah, I know. I hope they don't turn him back to good. It's too predictable and lame. I also can't believe they have absolutely no plan at all. There has to be a rough arc completion for the trilogy at least. Maybe what happens in the middle is a bit loose ? Call it conspiracy theory, but I also think it may be Disney just creating "talk" in this gap between Celebration and D23. No one in their right mind would leave the Star Wars franchise simply open to whatever directors turn it is. There's too much money at stake.

Yeah, I know. I hope they don't turn him back to good. It's too predictable and lame. I also can't believe they have absolutely no plan at all. There has to be a rough arc completion for the trilogy at least. Maybe what happens in the middle is a bit loose ? Call it conspiracy theory, but I also think it may be Disney just creating "talk" in this gap between Celebration and D23. No one in their right mind would leave the Star Wars franchise simply open to whatever directors turn it is. There's too much money at stake.

I agree.. But so far I'm not as excited about TLJ, as I was for TFA. Don't like the things Rian Johnson has said and some things we've seen. I still can't believe he completely changed Kylo Ren's scar on his face from the battle with Rey, simply cause he didn't like it??? And Disney let him? That's like a FU to JJ and the fans. His vision is more important than the continuity of the story. "Sorry, my ideas are better?"

I think there has been a bit of peer group rivalry between the directors. As you mentioned Ryan changed a few things. Gareth Edwards said "if you don't do anything new or different, or take a risk, then what are you bringing to the table?" I think that was also a shot at JJ's version being so similar to the original.

But gotta say I'm glad we are where we are with one Star Wars film a year, new games. Awesome Hot Toys.

It's a pretty great time to be a kid again.

I love the look of Driver looks just like how i envisioned Han and Leia's offspring to look! Best part of TFA if you ask me.

I love the look of Driver looks just like how i envisioned Han and Leia's offspring to look! Best part of TFA if you ask me.

For me won't say he's the best part but he might be. And as far as looking fearful or being fearful, IMO what Driver is bringing to the table is terrifying e.g. young, ambitious, still vulnerable, e.g. UNSTABLE. Maybe like Scarlet Witch in a way, who also wields enormous power but is shaky with it re Civil War. Look at Kylo coolly telling Rey "we'll see" and the next minute just losing it.

IMO great portrayal and complex character. Great actor.

But Anakin IMO was far more driven by outright fear for Padme, and by loss and ambition, which would have left him more vulnerable to the Dark Side. "Fear is the mind killer". Kylo apparently was well loved, had respected parents, knew the history of his family, so he was more free as far we know to make his own choices between dark and light, which would happen more slowly. If he was sure of his choices, he wouldn't have needed to kill his father. Han was no real threat when Kylo and his father met. Kylo is more free to be conflicted than Anakin was, and for longer.

Kylo will be developing further in Episode 8 and 9. We'll see which way he goes, either further to the dark side or back to the light. I'm sure he'll become more powerful as Snoke is going to complete his training. He may end up having a really interesting character arc throughout the trilogy. I mean look how much Luke changed from ANH to ESB to ROTJ. Quite a huge difference to me and I really liked that.

Figured I'd post this here for the hell of it. Most of my reviews have a humor aspect to them. Started the page a few months ago, for all sorts of randomness.

Back