1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great WTC!
Here's my stock contribution:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/c4e264b1306613356e64db253ad3ad2f.jpg
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/66af8699bfa319aa423f770fbffa3d59.jpg

Sent from the bat cave[/QUOTE]

Looks great. He looks good stock as well, in my opinion. Did you move the cod piece up at all any? If not, that's near perfect placement for being stock.

[QUOTE="Deathstalker, post: 8560951, member: 1621"]Got my Vader today and gotta say I'm hugely disappointed. The arms on mine are a joke they stick out so far from the body. It's like he's some "Roid boy at the gym with his arms flailred out because his late are so huge. At least in his mind. And I can't come to grips with the fact that I would need to take a dreamer to a $300 figure to shave down his arms and lats so the arms hang naturally and closer to his sides

dammit, I like a good ole museum pose and I'm proud of it...[/QUOTE]

Well...David Prowse was a bodybuilder. :lol

Really?

From the pics ive seen I would say despite the HT flaws, it still looks way better than the SS.

I have to say I agree with Jonnyc. I never intended on getting this HT Vader, thinking I would wait for an ESB version and maybe do some small upgrades to my Sideshow ANH Vader. But I eventually did get the HT Vader and seeing them side by side IRL, there’s no real comparison. It would take significant modding to get the Sideshow Vader up to HT Vader's standards—more time, money and effort than I would be willing to put into it. Even with HT Vader’s shortcomings, it’s still better out of the box than the Sideshow.

There are only three things that bother me about the SS: cape, height and dome. All easily and cheaply done mods.

What bothers me about the HT: the suit + body = puffy guts Vader with stubby legs. Shinguards look cheap. Gloves are rubbish. Belt is too fragile. Sound feature is useless. The cost.

With a bit of futzing it's clearly a good figure. What I was saying originally though is that I would have been just as happy modding my SS.

Got my Vader today and gotta say I'm hugely disappointed. The arms on mine are a joke they stick out so far from the body. It's like he's some "Roid boy at the gym with his arms flailred out because his late are so huge. At least in his mind. And I can't come to grips with the fact that I would need to take a dreamer to a $300 figure to shave down his arms and lats so the arms hang naturally and closer to his sides

dammit, I like a good ole museum pose and I'm proud of it...

Yup, I hear ya.

Does anyone in the UK understand the whole FedEx account thing? I registered and provided my credit card details however, the website is very non user friendly. When I go to my account all I can see is my security info and my contact details. I don't see how they're going to link that to my shipments?

There are only three things that bother me about the SS: cape, height and dome. All easily and cheaply done mods.

What bothers me about the HT: the suit + body = puffy guts Vader with stubby legs. Shinguards look cheap. Gloves are rubbish. Belt is too fragile. Sound feature is useless. The cost.

With a bit of futzing it's clearly a good figure
. What I was saying originally though is that I would have been just as happy modding my SS.

Agree with you for the most part. I got mine this week and was pretty underwhelmed. I think by far its the nicest "out of the box" Vader in 1/6th by anyone to date, but that does not excuse its flaws. I hate the gloves, aside from the light up saber, all the electronic components are pretty badly executed and when I think about the nearly $300 I spent, it left me feeling a little "meh" about the whole figure. HT improved on some stuff Sideshow did wrong, but absolutely dropped the ball on things Sideshow did right. All in all, its a good figure, the best Vader to date I would say, but the price and the glaring flaws bring it down several notches.

Looks great. He looks good stock as well, in my opinion. Did you move the cod piece up at all any? If not, that's near perfect placement for being stock.
Yes. While I haven't modded him, I have spent some time futzing. I moved the cod piece up, and the belt boxes closer to the buckle.

Yes. While I haven't modded him, I have spent some time futzing. I moved the cod piece up, and the belt boxes closer to the buckle.

I think I asked this question already, so apologies, but how do you move the cod piece up? Also do you have to remove the belt to move the boxes?

Great work:clap

Thanks buddy!

You planted the seed for the idea. I wanted to combine the ideas of using reflective tape, and your idea of using sculpted eyes in the helmet.

I originally just covered the inside of the lenses with the foil, but it just created a uniform coloration over the lenses. In most of the shots in the film when the red-amber is visible, it's just spots here and there. So I tried covering a modified HS with the foil, and drawing over the eyes and eyebrows just to provide contrast to the foil, so there's some barely visible eyes in there.

It worked out better than I expected.

I'm having so much fun modifying this fantastic figure.

Couple quick questions:

How do I remove the nose? I want to sand down the back side to push it in deeper, but I just can't figure out how to remove it without damaging the sculpt.

What's the best method for lowering the dome? File down the "fins" and "box" on the underside of the dome?

Thanks!

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Last edited:
So I finally got my Vader yesterday... :yess: .. This is a really nice figure, but man what a pain in the a$$ to get the batteries in the belt boxes!! I also surprisingly had not too much trouble sliding the belt boxes over closer together, even onto part of the velcro. And of course I moved the cod piece and belt up. I didn't even bother with taking apart figure to put batteries in for the sound feature.. Here's to hoping it works .. :pray: .. The Interogation droid was a pain. The syringe just doesn't like to stay in!! I put it on an extra HT Luke ANH stand I had, since that plastic garbage they gave us is a joke. Here's a pic of him on my shelf with the 2 Sideshow Vaders, ANH & Deluxe. The Interrogator Droid is on the shelf above with R2, 3PO, Grievous and the 2 SS Battledroids... a droid shelf :lol (Although I stuck my Marmit Sandtrooper up there too as he couldn't fit with the Vaders below). Just Phone pics..

vaders.jpg

Vader.jpg

Got my Vader in today! I was a little worried after all the complaining on here but I love him. The sound feature like everyone knows is insane and next to useless without making that switch big enough to flip with the clothes on. The gloves are definitely the weak link but not nearly as bad in hand as it looks in the photos. Overall though the helmet looks great and the details blow away the SS deluxe that I am replacing. It also feels like a guy in a suit rather than the weird lanky feel of the deluxe. I was on the fence about whether I needed this since it was released but with Vader being probably my favorite fictional character I'm really glad I bit the bullet on this one!

(And I realize I forgot to put the shoulder armor under the tunic like it's supposed to be. I may keep it that way, like an episode 4.5 version.)
20c1bc939a0b70e39a6c875c46671244.jpg

5c2638b8a80d3589411e1616a102cd5a.jpg

93ebc8e880f047078ce897102f2e5627.jpg

93ebc8e880f047078ce897102f2e5627.jpg

Back