1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh true. I guess I was thinking of a different Bond villain. No harm meant by it.

No, you were probably thinking of the ones I meant. They are pretty cheesy now in hindsight. Different generation. But believe me, there is plenty of cringe-worthiness in the PT as well, and things only get worse with age.

No worries.

Also, knowing he is the Emperor's apprentice and a Sith Lord gives a different meaning to his actions. He isn't ladder climbing, he's just operating for his master. In part because of loyalty, but also fear, as the emperor can kill him at any time, and part of Vader hates him for that.
Vader's rise in Empire is likely tied to the emergence of Luke and the Emperor's grand plan. You'd think after the debacle of the Death Star it's possible he wouldn't have risen the way he did.

Vader's rise in Empire is likely tied to the emergence of Luke and the Emperor's grand plan. You'd think after the debacle of the Death Star it's possible he wouldn't have risen the way he did.

I am picturing THE worst year-end performance review ever... "So Vader, I see here that you intentionally let some rebels escape only to have them blow up my Death Star. Alrighty, let's talk about your bonus..." :)

I am picturing THE worst year-end performance review ever... "So Vader, I see here that you intentionally let some rebels escape only to have them blow up my Death Star. Alrighty, let's talk about your bonus..." :)

:lol And it was your son, you say, that blew up the battle station we spent all those credits on?

No, you were probably thinking of the ones I meant. They are pretty cheesy now in hindsight. Different generation. But believe me, there is plenty of cringe-worthiness in the PT as well, and things only get worse with age.

No worries.

Haha yeah I suppose age ruins things. I watched Halloween today and wasn't even the slightest bit tense. I remember being terrified when I first watched it years ago.

It was a clever plan that totally "back-fired" in the worst possible way.

Vader would have had his head handed to him if this was the PT.

I agree with Wor in terms of 'Bond Villain' being complimentary...but if you want to make assertions as to the character: intimidating yes. Complex is a stretch. He was a scenery-chewing bad guy in each film with a capricious and wasteful management style, and a weird way of connecting with his long-lost son. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've followed Vader in more than just the movies. In the movies he is as you say, but the books in between episode 3 and 4 really give insight into him. He's constantly suffering and has to deal with the choices he's made. Also, there's an excerpt about in Dark Lord about his perspective of the suit and his suspicions of his master. Idk I guess all of those things are absent in the films but are really worth a read.

Yup this is very true. About to read the Vader comic that shows how he makes up for his blunder.

And I saw in some other thread that Vader's plan to let the rebels go is why the stormtroopers appear to be terrible shots and generally incompetent :lol

It was also a pretty sweet stroke of luck that there just happens to be no one left alive that could squeal on Vader. He could have easily said it was Tarkin's idea and he paid for it with his life.

I always found it interesting in ANH how the Empire would go about it's normal business, even at the highest levels, like Tarkin and the commanding officers, and Vader is just like this anomaly, some guy that just hangs around and they have to deal with because he's the Emperor's boyfriend or whatever. Not to mention he has no fear of murdering anyone in the slightest.

Vader seemed to be an agent that existed just outside of the Empire's business of, well, running the Empire. He had his own missions and function of dealing with whatever thing(s) that needed special attention or were outside the normal daily business of the Empire. The Death Star plan fiasco seems like an incident where normal Imperial business and Vader's role intersected.

It feels to me that Vader had a more prominent role in ESB after the loss of Tarkin, so Vader had to fill that void. Or course, both the Emperor and Vader now knew of Skywalker so, again, Vader's sort of special agent status overlapped with the main everyday goal of the Empire. Capture or kill the threat of Skywalker and destroy the Rebellion.

Back