1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man. So I finally got the chance to set-up my new Vader. Got the batteries installed in the saber arm, body, and belt boxes. I didn't have many problems, surprisingly, even with the belt boxes. The second belt box was a little tedious, but I moved the negative terminal contact ever so slightly and the batteries slid right in. Using the included tweezers helped. All lights and sounds worked fine. I even got the belt boxes on the belt close to the buckle for better screen accuracy. I was ready to flip the sound switch off and take out the batteries (probably for good), but I wanted to test the time-out "feature" everyone has been bemoaning. So I waited about 20 minutes or so, and like everyone else, no sound. I removed all batteries from the body and the remote and reinstalled them; still no sound.

Does the sound feature time-out actually cause the voice electronics to malfunction so they no longer work? As much as I wasn't planning on using the feature, I feel I now have a defective $300 figure. Anyone have any suggestions to get it working again?

Update: I just flipped the sound switch on, and it's now working again. There must be some design flaw that disables the feature once it times-out for a certain amount of time. Stupid. I wish it worked the way it's supposed to. I have kids that would probably get a kick out of it. Unfortunately, once I dress him back up it'll probably be too late. Everything else about the figure is pretty solid, IMO.

^was moving the boxes easier with the belt removed from the figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately this figure is a big miss for me. The velcro on the back of the belts is what prevents the boxes from moving closer to the buckle. Simply shorten the velcro to slide the boxes closer. SideShow willing to give a $20 discount on other purchases instead of replacing a $1.00 leather strip is ridiculous. I can either return the product for a full refund or return the product, re-order, and wait 5 weeks for processing and shipping, in the end SideShow still loses more than simply replacing the belt. After my current orders are filled I'm done with SideBlow.

I think there may be some confusion. He was asking about the "new" SSC Vader that's on preorder, not the Hot Toys release, and whether it was an upgrade to the previous SSC Deluxe version. It IS an upgrade.

And the ESB and ROTJ Vader suits are virtually identical. However, I'm assuming you were referring to the ANH vs ESB look.

Oops you are quite right. I misunderstood the question.

^was moving the boxes easier with the belt removed from the figure?

Yeah, there's no way I could've done it without taking it off. My belt must not have as tight a clasp as others. As I was trying to figure out how to loosen it, it came apart on it's own, basically.

And actually, one cool side effect of having to fit the belt boxes over the Velcro is that they won't budge. No more having to re-adjust if they come out of position.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    947.3 KB · Views: 268
I picked up another chest armor in the hopes of painting it the right colors(just in case I screw up I want a backup). Not sure what reference they were using, as it's completely wrong from what I've seen. Might need some painting advice when I get around to it, as I'm a noob painter, but the original prop looked pretty rough anyway haha

Does the SS material match the HT material.... if you're mixing cape and tunic?

I actually no longer own the SS Vader but they do seem to match in color from my memory. (Certainly not in quality though)

I actually bought the extra inner robe as a back up to the original one that I removed the wire from. It looks way better but never know when I may have to sell the HT Vader. People are fanatics about things being in "original" condition.

I picked up another chest armor in the hopes of painting it the right colors(just in case I screw up I want a backup). Not sure what reference they were using, as it's completely wrong from what I've seen. Might need some painting advice when I get around to it, as I'm a noob painter, but the original prop looked pretty rough anyway haha

I considered doing this too but I don't think my painting skills are up to the task. Stock vader it is for me.

Thinking now I might pick this up. Guess I need to experience it in person. If it doesn't suit me I can always return it.

Back