1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about this one. Glad I ordered these separate. If release pics do not look good, he is getting the ax. I always thought this one was on the fence. That is why I did not order the set.

Dear gawd! They didn't even TRY to make Chewie look good in those photos. How did this figure go down hill so fast? Fix the mouth!

I should've stuck with my hasbro figure.

This is one of the worst looking figures I have ever seen. It makes Han look amazing lol

They should have just made a sculpted head. They sculpt hair extremely well. Make a nice Chewie headsculpt, paint it up nice and put it on the fur body and it would be fine.

Yeah, texture wouldn't match but Chewbacca looking like Chewbacca is better than this . . . thing. Besides, the hair on his torso is really dark while his head is a lighter brown. If they painted the headsculpt right, it would offset the difference if it was blended just right.

I agree. I applaud HT for trying but IMO this experiment failed and I think your idea would work best.

They should have just made a sculpted head. They sculpt hair extremely well. Make a nice Chewie headsculpt, paint it up nice and put it on the fur body and it would be fine.

Yeah, texture wouldn't match but Chewbacca looking like Chewbacca is better than this . . . thing. Besides, the hair on his torso is really dark while his head is a lighter brown. If they painted the headsculpt right, it would offset the difference if it was blended just right.

:clap

Someone rep this man! Because I'm unable to do so because I'm too cheap to go Premium.

People are way too fast to jump to panic mode. Firstly its not released yet and not to mention the fact that while its not perfect to my knowledge this is the first attempt at a fully rooted hair figure. For that alone I think its good and overall pretty impressive.

People are way too fast to jump to panic mode. Firstly its not released yet and not to mention the fact that while its not perfect to my knowledge this is the first attempt at a fully rooted hair figure. For that alone I think its good and overall pretty impressive.

True, but for $255 people deserve a more accurate figure , especially for a character that people have wanted for several years . I'm still on the fence but if that's the production version then I'm out.

People weren't even happy with the proto, so I don't see why the panic now. Chances are you would never have been happy with it either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People weren't even happy with the proto, so I don't see why the panic now. Chances are you would never have been happy with it either way.

I was happy with the proto which is why I ordered it, just not happy with what I'm seeing now which if it's still on track for release between now and August then that has to be the production version on display.

Exactly. There's always a certain segment of people on these boards who are very rarely satisfied with anything. I think this figure has looked good in certain pictures and not so good in others so its probably just a matter of working with it once you get it. The face isn't spot on but I like it enough.

Exactly. There's always a certain segment of people on these boards who are very rarely satisfied with anything. I think this figure has looked good in certain pictures and not so good in others so its probably just a matter of working with it once you get it. The face isn't spot on but I like it enough.

:goodpost: i have said it a few pages back. I know there are haters that going to hate everything specially if it`s not perfect. but nothing ever is in this hobby

It begs to question though, if they can't even get the two on display at the show to look good (or hell, the one in their Falcon cockpit ads that are shown to the world) what chance does a massed produced version that is one of thousands have? The fact that multiple final production Han Solo figures are being displayed alongside that Chewie should caution people that maybe, just maybe the Chewbacca figures we're seeing are what the final product will be.

There is always one extreme to another. Yes, the people that nitpick and panic all the time are annoying. They tend to get out of hand. I'm seeing that with the Princess Leia, which looks perfect to my eyes. However, there seems to be an equal amount of people that are too passive and willing to accept anything, even mediocrity. Who cares if this is their first attempt at a creature covered in fur? We can applaud them for their ambition, sure, but if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. It's not like this is some $20 Hasbro figure. These new shots don't even resemble the original prototype that well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why some people are concerned.

I think in the case of Chewie though like I brought up before, the fact that its even happening and not just as a sculpted figure but fully rooted hair is pretty amazing. With that said being something relatively untested there may be some flaws the first go around, which while not ideal I can't entirely fault Hot Toys for. I think the fact that they are doing it and it looks as good as it does is impressive. It definitely could be better in some aspects but at the same time I don't think its as terrible as some do.

I'd hardly say terrible. At the same show there's been pictures where it looks good and others where it doesn't look so good. Of all the Hot Toys figures I own while some are better than others I've never been truly disappointed in one and I don't expect any different with this one.

I think in the case of Chewie though like I brought up before, the fact that its even happening and not just as a sculpted figure but fully rooted hair is pretty amazing. With that said being something relatively untested there may be some flaws the first go around, which while not ideal I can't entirely fault Hot Toys for. I think the fact that they are doing it and it looks as good as it does is impressive. It definitely could be better in some aspects but at the same time I don't think its as terrible as some do.

That is what R&D is for though isn't it? To see if something works or not?

No doubt Hot Toys have produced some true marvels. They're in a league of their own with a lot of the beautiful pieces they do. I just don't think they should get a pat on the back for just "trying" though. Suppose they wanted to implement a 1/6 "skin" over a skeletal true type system or an Iron Man that actually housed a Tony Stark within it's chassis or something whacky like that. That has never been attempted before. If they botched it, like any company would, I don't think they should be praised for having just attempted it. Especially not when people are paying for their experiment.

Chewbacca is a risky figure, I'm sure they knew that going in. If the final product ends up looking like crap, I don't think they should get a pass because "hey, nobody else have done anything like this before!" It's not like they didn't have the option of making a fur body suit with a plastic head. This isn't a high school or college project where hard work, ambition and ingenuity gets you a decent grade even if the final result isn't great. This is a product, a product being sold.

Yes, yes!

palpatine.jpg

I appreciate ambition but (cliche warning) at the end of the day, does the figure look good?

I actually suspect the production version will look OK. Hot Toys doesn't usually give us huge let downs from solicitation proto to production. Small let downs, sure. But if it does turn out to be a failure, so be it. I won't buy. There's no rush to order or anything.

That is what R&D is for though isn't it? To see if something works or not?

No doubt Hot Toys have produced some true marvels. They're in a league of their own with a lot of the beautiful pieces they do. I just don't think they should get a pat on the back for just "trying" though. Suppose they wanted to implement a 1/6 "skin" over a skeletal true type system or an Iron Man that actually housed a Tony Stark within it's chassis or something whacky like that. That has never been attempted before. If they botched it, like any company would, I don't think they should be praised for having just attempted it. Especially not when people are paying for their experiment.

Chewbacca is a risky figure, I'm sure they knew that going in. If the final product ends up looking like crap, I don't think they should get a pass because "hey, nobody else have done anything like this before!" It's not like they didn't have the option of making a fur body suit with a plastic head. This isn't a high school or college project where hard work, ambition and ingenuity gets you a decent grade even if the final result isn't great. This is a product, a product being sold.
Don't get me wrong I think you and others have made valid points, but I don't think that this figure is a disaster like some apparently do. I guess to me while I don't think the problems the figure has should be dismissed that it overall is pretty impressive looking for being a one of a kind. For their first shot at something like this I think it looks good for the most part.

I actually suspect the production version will look OK. Hot Toys doesn't usually give us huge let downs from solicitation proto to production. Small let downs, sure. But if it does turn out to be a failure, so be it. I won't buy. There's no rush to order or anything.
This. If I'm wrong I'll admit to it but Hot Toys in general are pretty solid. I don't think they knock everything out of the park one hundred percent of the time, but more often than not I'm satisfied with what I get. Like i mentioned before of all the figures I have none have really let me down. Some have really wowed me more than others but I haven't gotten one where I was dissatisfied.

Back