Hot Toys Justice League Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read somewhere that using foam on the sides is also a bad idea. Something about it eventually infusing into the fabric? Is there any type of material that can be used on either side to protect the fabric from clamps without also damaging the material?

Has anybody used just plain cotton cloth?

Anything that causes stress is not ideal for your figures. Even with foam or fabric, it just pinches the material.

Even real leather can't handle such stress without leaving a mark. I have no idea why people would argue that a $300 figure should be able to withstand the test of time?

Your $1000 iPhone breaks down as you use, so what's the difference?

Read somewhere that using foam on the sides is also a bad idea. Something about it eventually infusing into the fabric? Is there any type of material that can be used on either side to protect the fabric from clamps without also damaging the material?

Has anybody used just plain cotton cloth?

it doesn't matter what you use, the screen-printing on these figures tends to fuse to anything it comes in contact with over long periods of time. Even just plain cotton cloth will fuse to the screen-printing. If you look at some folks' MoS figures, you can see how the chainmail print on top of the fabric has lost its finesse and looks a little flat and mushed together just from being exposed. it's just the nature of this kind of technique. Almost like using rubber seamless bodies of the old days over the silicone that TBLeague uses. I think the TBLeague bodies have a shelf life of 30 or more years where as the old rubber ones could start breaking down on you in a couple days if your conditions are rough enough.

Anything that causes stress is not ideal for your figures. Even with foam or fabric, it just pinches the material.

Even real leather can't handle such stress without leaving a mark. I have no idea why people would argue that a $300 figure should be able to withstand the test of time?

100% this :lecture: It's part of why I've moved more towards statues than figures. You don't have to worry about them breaking down overtime unless they topple over.

Yeah exactly, every single thing we wear and use in daily life breaks down. Shirts, jeans, shoes.

Yet people think figures should be indestructible, even when they play with these and leave them in extreme poses that puts more stress than normal on material. As you said, even a real leather jacket will become creased and weathered when worn.

100% this :lecture: It's part of why I've moved more towards statues than figures. You don't have to worry about them breaking down overtime unless they topple over.

It's a compromise we make. I don't do statues because they're static and I can't "make them my own" -- even without extreme or action poses, my figures are going to be subtly different from every other one.

But the figures will wear or get damaged under certain conditions. I've never experienced anything but the most minor and inconsequential wear on even the most delicate figures ... I think the only one that comes to mind was some creasing on the A1 Black Widow suit...but I don't pose them often or in extreme ways.

It's funny, because for most of my figures I'll find a pose and likely leave them that way for years or even permanently, so you'd *think* I'd be happy with statues, but being able to convey the look I want with that added entertainment value, however infrequent or subtle, is important to me.

So I deal with the delicate aspect of mixed media. Now stuff straight-up melting without being touched or falling apart from minimal handling is another issue entirely. The argument can be made that certain figures should be engineered for damage-free elevation or suspension -- like a hidden port in the back for Superman or Iron Man figures, negating the need for a clamp.

I'm tempted by the odd statue but I've never gone there.

It's a compromise we make. I don't do statues because they're static and I can't "make them my own" -- even without extreme or action poses, my figures are going to be subtly different from every other one.

But the figures will wear or get damaged under certain conditions. I've never experienced anything but the most minor and inconsequential wear on even the most delicate figures ... I think the only one that comes to mind was some creasing on the A1 Black Widow suit...but I don't pose them often or in extreme ways.

It's funny, because for most of my figures I'll find a pose and likely leave them that way for years or even permanently, so you'd *think* I'd be happy with statues, but being able to convey the look I want with that added entertainment value, however infrequent or subtle, is important to me.

So I deal with the delicate aspect of mixed media. Now stuff straight-up melting without being touched or falling apart from minimal handling is another issue entirely. The argument can be made that certain figures should be engineered for damage-free elevation or suspension -- like a hidden port in the back for Superman or Iron Man figures, negating the need for a clamp.

I'm tempted by the odd statue but I've never gone there.

That makes sense. And I completely get it as well. because I used to think the same way. I love that feeling of making something my own. I still prefer mixed media even in some statues especially my old Sideshow LOTR Premium Format Figures. I love mixed media as it brings more realism lots of times than something that's sculpted. And don't get me wrong, I still collect 1/6 figures as well as other types outside of 1/6 scale like Transformers (which have their owns set of issues).

But after having had and sold the entire DC Snyderverse HT figures that had been released up until summer of last year, I'm actually more happy with my DC Collectibles line of DC Snyderverse statues over the HT figures I had. Sure they aren't as realistic in the portraits, but for me, I've fixed that issue by repainting nearly the entire line (need to finally tackle Wonder Woman though). This way I get accurate musculature, no worrying about texture peeling or fusing with something else and like you said, by customizing these statues I can make them my own. Even though I tend to only do museum poses, I just don't like the idea that no mater what I do to be safe, they would eventually break down.

My HT DX06 had been in nearly one pose the entire time I had him since release, and yet when it came time to box him up to sale, I noticed the belts had started to deteriorate, so I had to take a loss on that figure compared to what it goes for due to that. The Sideshow Daredevil figure pleather outfit falls apart at the seams if you barely stretch it to get him into a pose. And of course, Superman and Batman suits stick to anything and potentially peel, Superman more than Batman.

So, now that I'm back in the game, I choose differently based on having had those issues in the past. But of course, everyone has their preference and I by no means say one is better than the other. We like what we like and in either scale or collectible type there's going to be compromise.

Purchased this set, but the body had only single elbow joint. I always use double jointed elbow when animating. I didn't use a Phicen this time, but used a Hot Toys Captain America body. I also used a Barbie Batman vs Superman costume I got off Mercari. Please enjoy the pictures.

DSC09724 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09723 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09722 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09721 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09720 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09719 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09718 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09717 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

DSC09716 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

Any BvS owners prefer this one over that? Been seeing a lot of mixed reviews and a lot of sale posts for this new JL one so I was curious. Shipping & taxes adds about $40+ to all my Hot Toys orders thru Sideshow so wondering if the new one is much better or if I should stick with the old one.

So I recieved my Superman from Sideshow, but they did not send it in a shipper.

IMG-3199.jpg

When I inquired about this, this was the reply I got:

"Thank you for reaching out.

Please know that Sideshow makes every effort to ensure all items we ship are delivered as safely and efficiently as possible. We stand behind our products and service. Distressed items are sometimes offered via charity auctions, but products sold and shipped directly by Sideshow are shipped as received from the manufacturer. All collectibles undergo a rigorous quality inspection process prior to arriving at our facility. In addition, for quality assurance purposes some collectibles are also opened and inspected by our on-site quality control team.

If this piece has not met your expectations, we’re more than happy to assist you with a return for a refund. Regarding the brown shipper box, please know that we use many different types of shipping cartons to process and send out purchases. Per our terms of service, these brown boxes are not part of the collectible and only meant to protect the item during shipping. As such, we cannot guarantee the style of brown carton that you will receive."

IMG-3197.jpg

The figure is fine and has no defects. It's just the shipper that is missing. Has anyone else recieved a hot toy in this manner from Sideshow before?

I brought this up to them in my email to Sideshow. The above was their response. Nothing appeared to be opened but I found it unusual as I had always recieved a shipper from past orders I had with them.

I’ve received at least six figures packed like that, art box still sealed. I think Sideshow has been getting the larger multi-packed boxes of figures that usually release in HK, so they have to pack them up themselves. I don’t think it’s from damaged shippers, because we all know Sideshow has zero problems sending out beat up shippers.

Did you ever send any of them back, or keep what you recieved? Any concern regarding resell value? I'm interested in people's perspective on this.

Did you ever send any of them back, or keep what you recieved? Any concern regarding resell value? I'm interested in people's perspective on this.

Have you checked the s glyph, is it off centre or slightly uneven from from one side to the other? Also how about where the cape clips into the front of the suit at the neck, is there skin exposed there where it shouldn?t be?
These were most people?s reason for returning this figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back