Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I actually visited the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon where they filmed The Shining last week. Was very disappointed to walk inside and not see freaky little girls, rivers of blood, etc.

I wonder what insanely awesome vehicle we'll see at the Con tomorrow that Hot Toys will never make. A 1:6 scale Rogue One shuttle? TIE Striker? Maybe a Desert Skiff to show off the new Luke?

I have always thought that there was something off with the CGI version from R1. Seeing them side by side now I realize what it is. The CGI version has a too long face compared with the real actor. Must of had to do with the replacing actor, I can imagine that Peter Cushing's face couldn't just be copied and pasted on top of Guy Henry's face. It was however a very impressive recreation in my opinion.

The likeness was close to perfect to my eye - it was more that the filmmakers got a bit cocky and used him more than the CGI could carry that was the issue. Keeping him more in shadow, staying with the window reflection longer in that key scene and also just cutting his screen time overall would have made it perfect and more magical that "Cushing" was back, the same way Yoda is magical in ESB despite being rubber.

The danger of keeping him on too long is the human animal eye picks up on the micro errors in movement and even though you're enaged in the drama you do start to see a bit of this mixed in:

wmKRL_.gif

The likeness was close to perfect to my eye - it was more that the filmmakers got a bit cocky and used him more than the CGI could carry that was the issue. Keeping him more in shadow, staying with the window reflection longer in that key scene and also just cutting his screen time overall would have made it perfect and more magical that "Cushing" was back, the same way Yoda is magical in ESB despite being rubber.
Yeah, I would have preferred if it was a bit more scaled back and if Leia wasn't in it at all TBH.

I find the problem with all CGI humans is the mouth. Something about the upper lips are never quite right. Whether it's Rogue One characters, or Jeff Bridges in Tron 2, it's the upper lip when they are speaking that really give it away...

This......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol Yeah, they're a little cringe worthy on repeat viewings. Tarkin storywise was perfect to me and at times great visually, but with the limitations of CGI for a non-living actor, I think less might have been more in his case. Vader's use in Rogue One is probably an example of that.

Yeah, I would have preferred if it was a bit more scaled back and if Leia wasn't in it at all TBH.

I concur with this.

As far as CGI goes, I actually think Tarkin was done better than Leia. Leia I felt was a little forced in as well, personally. I think you could have simply referred to her at the end such as by saying "pass these on to the Princess" or something like that, and that would have been just fine.

Dug it. Thought it was a brilliant idea and used pretty seamlessly.

Agreed. One of the biggest and most exhilarating surprises in the entire film. And I at least give them an A for effort on Tarkin and Leia. Any faults with them were spectacularly made up for by Vader IMO. After the prequels I was extremely apprehensive about ever seeing him again on film and then was blown away by an appearance that was OT level in quality. To this day it still blows my mind that we got a Vader who was *that* cool again.

When it got to that scene with Leia at the end of RO I was actually hoping we'd just hear her voice and keep with the view of her from the back with the hood up. It didn't ruin anything for me that she turned but it wasn't perfect and I agree that I don't think it was needed.

When it got to that scene with Leia at the end of RO I was actually hoping we'd just hear her voice and keep with the view of her from the back with the hood up. It didn't ruin anything for me that she turned but it wasn't perfect and I agree that I don't think it was needed.

Agreed, I think that showing her from behind with the hood up would have been an acceptable "cheat" that wouldn't have taken anyone out of the movie. The main thing that bothers me about the Leia scene isn't that it's less than perfect, it's just knowing that the Marvel movies always DO get it perfect when they de-age actors. So it's more jealousy about what they've accomplished in the MCU than anything else, lol.

When they were showing Leia from the back, I couldn't stop thinking, "Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it." :lol

Like you said, far from ruining the film or tarnishing the character, but definitely felt a little forced to me just to try and further tie the film in to ANH.

Agreed, I think that showing her from behind with the hood up would have been an acceptable "cheat" that wouldn't have taken anyone out of the movie.

Even if you just referenced her by telling someone to pass/give the plans on to the Princess, I think that would have sufficed.

I'm glad she was there... It would have felt more of a cheat to just say 'give these to the Princess' considering the importance of what had just gone on to steal the plans and arguably the greatest 60 seconds of Vader footage committed to film but I completely agree with the 'Don't do it!' sentiment. I was perfectly prepared for her to say 'Hope'... and just have me thinking... 'THAT'S HER!'... 'THAT'S HER UNDER THAT HOOD!' like a sugar-rushed child, mentally picturing a young Carrie Fisher speaking to Captain Antilles. Especially as we had Bail Organa reference the person 'he'd trust with his life' to deliver the plans earlier.

We all know Cushing died, but literally every single person I watched RO with who did NOT know Cushing was deceased had no idea he was CGI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What'd you think of how Red and Gold Leader were utilized?

Not ashamed to admit that I teared up.

Just so cool as a continuity buff and a fan of all things pilots and starfighters.

It was pretty interesting to think about how just a short while later, both Red and Gold leader and their respective squadrons would go from flying against the shield gate at Scarif to flying over the Death Star.

They were probably still over Scarif when the Death Star fired at the citadel tower since the fleet hadn't jumped out yet. They saw the blast. They knew the stakes.

Back