Hot Toys G.I. Joe Retaliation: Snake Eyes Collectible Figure - Full Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys G.I. Joe Retaliation: Snake Eyes Collectible Figure - Full Specs & Pics

Im not saying you are dumb for liking this figure, not at all. The only reason I posted anything was to your comment of this is an iconic look. It just didnt make sense to call it iconic when in no way, shape or form is this an iconic look.

SE was a commando first, did you ever have the first SE figure? Even in the first season of the GI Joe cartoons, he didnt carry a sword. It wasnt until they gave him the body suit with the visors that they turned him into a ninja.

Not to add fuel to the fire on this highly entertaining discussion, but in the comics it was revealed SE was a ninja/been trained in ninjitsu back in issue 10 - He was hooked up to Dr Venom's brain wave scanner and it showed he was taught the way of the anvil to slow his heartbeat so it would appear if he were dead. More reveals and details came later through the series. But his Visor costume didn't appear until issue 45, 3 years later.

In short he was a ninja, before that costume. he just wasn't given a sword until that costume.

As for the figure, I ordered it. I love SE, don't care if his gear is practical or not, Joe is more sci-fi fantasy than reality anyways. A lot is grounded in Hama's real world experience and research, but much of it is sci-fi. It's a cool look for SE, almost Resolute-like so I may try bashing a closer version to that with this one.

Re: Hot Toys G.I. Joe Retaliation: Snake Eyes Collectible Figure - Full Specs & Pics

You are right, but I was refering to the chronological order of the figure and cartoons, since he metioned he didnt read the comics.:)

Not to add fuel to the fire on this highly entertaining discussion, but in the comics it was revealed SE was a ninja/been trained in ninjitsu back in issue 10 - He was hooked up to Dr Venom's brain wave scanner and it showed he was taught the way of the anvil to slow his heartbeat so it would appear if he were dead. More reveals and details came later through the series. But his Visor costume didn't appear until issue 45, 3 years later.

In short he was a ninja, before that costume. he just wasn't given a sword until that costume.

As for the figure, I ordered it. I love SE, don't care if his gear is practical or not, Joe is more sci-fi fantasy than reality anyways. A lot is grounded in Hama's real world experience and research, but much of it is sci-fi. It's a cool look for SE, almost Resolute-like so I may try bashing a closer version to that with this one.

You are right, but I was refering to the chronological order of the figure and cartoons, since he metioned he didnt read the comics.:)

Ah, true. With the figure and toon, he didn't have a sword until that costume. Even in the toon, the sword was only used in the Movie, slicing vines when infiltrating Cobra La. I don't think I ever remember it being used outside that. In fact, you could barely even tell he had one, if ti was drawn in at all. I know in the DIC toon, they made him a lot more ninja than the way Sunbow portrayed him.

Resolute was really cool, I wish they would do more movies/shows like that

Resolute was really cool, I wish they would do more movies/shows like that

Agreed, I was hoping for a series along the same lines as Resolute too. I watched Renegades, I liked the concept, but could never really get into it. It got better as it went on though.

Not true. The cardback on the 82' figure was released with the OG figure before Issue #10 hit. Commando before ninja and the ninja hint in that issue retconed the origin which was updated on the filecard with the second version of SE. :wink1:

I don't really get this argument. This SE is clearly more armored than possibly any SE that came before it but this one is "stupid" for not being covered enough?

386686_10151181688907344_1619667512_n.jpg

Looks like his entire torso is practically covered in plate mail for crying out loud. He could easily have some sort of plate or whatever under the suit covering his abs as well.

hires_090326-A-5049R-216d.jpg

Looks like a well placed shot to the middle guy's beer gut, peepee, face, neck or legs and he's down for the count. Why does that make him so much more protected that fictional Snake Eyes?

The argument was about "militaristic realism," Khev. Thanks for trying though. :wave :lol

Not true. The cardback on the 82' figure was released with the OG figure before Issue #10 hit. Commando before ninja and the ninja hint in that issue retconed the origin which was updated on the filecard with the second version of SE. :wink1:

The 1982 filecard conceded that his origin was a "mystery" but then lists all these traits and skills that ninjas tend to have....

100_3450.JPG

hires_090326-A-5049R-216d.jpg

Looks like a well placed shot to the middle guy's beer gut, peepee, face, neck or legs and he's down for the count. Why does that make him so much more protected that fictional Snake Eyes?[/QUOTE]

because the guy in old school desert camo is a human shield!

The 1982 filecard conceded that his origin was a "mystery" but then lists all these traits and skills that ninjas tend to have....

100_3450.JPG

It lists skills (the martial arts/edged weapons ones) any random MMA fighters have. That doesn't make them ninjas. :dunno :lol

It lists skills (the martial arts/edged weapons ones) any random MMA fighters have. That doesn't make them ninjas. :dunno :lol

No but if a random MMA fighter is revealed to have ninja training as the backdrop for his skills that is simply clarification, not a "retcon."

Boy, this went off the tracks in a big way. Snake Eyes was originally billed as the team's commando. With that said, his visor look is the more iconic. The movie version looks cool but is in no way the definitive Snake Eyes. I will still buy it. Because I like Snake Eyes and I like this design. Anyone trying to compare Sci Fi military action figures to real life military situations is going to have to suspend a hell of a lot of disbelief. This figure is what it is and for me, that's a stand alone movie figure of pure fantasy with no roots at all in realistic military applications. Ninjas were all the rage in '85 and that is the only reason Snake Eyes was made into one.

Boy, this went off the tracks in a big way. Snake Eyes was originally billed as the team's commando. With that said, his visor look is the more iconic. The movie version looks cool but is in no way the definitive Snake Eyes. I will still buy it. Because I like Snake Eyes and I like this design. Anyone trying to compare Sci Fi military action figures to real life military situations is going to have to suspend a hell of a lot of disbelief. This figure is what it is and for me, that's a stand alone movie figure of pure fantasy with no roots at all in realistic military applications. Ninjas were all the rage in '85 and that is the only reason Snake Eyes was made into one.

Comic issue numbers that mention his ninja background prior to 1985 have already been posted in this very thread.

which having Quick Kick show up in '85 was a nice refresh away from the SS/SE hump quarrel fest that is constantly pushed in today's Joe and movies..

Seeing QK and Spirit fight with SS was also cool

What's not true? I wasn't claiming he was a ninja before commando, he was obviously commando first and didn't even train to be a ninja until after he was in 'Nam. I was just saying they made him a ninja before the visor costume appeared - which was 85 - both figure and comic-wise. Issue 10 was out in 83.

Regardless, he was always a commando first, later a commando with ninja training, then almost all ninja with little emphasis on the commando part as Joe went ninja-crazy. Hama added the ninja stuff as he went. He wrote the comic and file cards, he's basically the be all end all of what SE really is, but he was always depicted first as a commando.

With the risk of bringing an all out attack on myself, but Snake Eyes is a fictional Character made up for entertainment purposes, he can be and wear whatever whoever is writing or designing him at the time. I really don't understand what the debate is over a fictional character. If you go to the movies, or watch a television show comparing it to everyday life, boy do a lot of what we watch just goes out the window. ...just my two cents...and yes I know no one ask me for it.

Back