Hot Toys DX04 - Enter the Dragon: Bruce Lee 1/6th scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys's DX04 - Enter the Dragon: Bruce Lee 1/6th scale Collectible Figure

I'm a Bruce Lee fan and dig the awesome figure...but not for my collection. Congrats to the ones that's been waiting for a DX like this...very cool!

Now Hot Toys - A battel damaged T-800 from T2 perhaps?

Re: Hot Toys's DX04 - Enter the Dragon: Bruce Lee 1/6th scale Collectible Figure

By the way, Enterbay never said that the 1/6 Bruce Lee's line was over right ?

You kidding me, right? Superman's been around since 1938! It's the first and greatest comic book character ever created! It's a worldwide icon! Bruce Lee found his fame only after he was dead and has only a handful of movies to prove his extraordinary talent.

So BL is an icon, sure but he's not even in the league of superman!

Yeah, I know that SUPERMAN, as a character is a world wide icon and of course greater than Bruce Lee, but I'm talking about specifically with Mr. Christopher Reeve role as the man of steel...:)

I am,

As much as I love the guy, he had to go back to China to star in movies because nobody would offer him roles worth his talent. He even lost the Kung Fu main part in favor of David Carradine who knew nothing about martial arts (the guy was a dancer).

Then, finally, because of his starting fame in HK, Hollywood offered him ETD... which was released in theaters and finally brought the international fame he so deserved only a few months after his death...

Sorry, but your arguments are wrong in SO MANY LEVELS.

So apparently, the only global icons are those that either come out of Hollywood, or those that are hit in the US. Everything else is just bull? Even a fictional character should roll over a real person in the iconic department?

By the way, Enterbay never said that the 1/6 Bruce Lee's line was over right ?

It's not,still Big Boss and BD ETD to come.And they love BL too much over there to ever finish the BL line,it will probably be a BD GOD and probably non-movie Bruce Lee.We will most likely see a GOD 1/4 statue later.

The announcement of this figure really shows me how self-centered and egotistical some Americans can be.

I really respect America for your sense of Justice and how strongly you guys protect your Freedom of Speech and I still do believe me but seriously wake up, America doesn't equals the rest of the world anymore and in retrospect, the country with the most population is still China. That means Chinese people, and that means Bruce Lee is more their icon than Superman ever will be.

Just so you know, if this announcement where to have gone the other way, i.e Reeves Superman or Rocky or Rambo, a lot of Chinese will not be pissing on the parade like some of you guys are doing now.

I am,

As much as I love the guy, he had to go back to China to star in movies because nobody would offer him roles worth his talent. He even lost the Kung Fu main part in favor of David Carradine who knew nothing about martial arts (the guy was a dancer).

This is an overall response to a lot of the comments in this thread, not just about the above quotation.

Hollywood's racism of the time doesn't change the fact that he was a superstar in Asia and would have received World wide fame regardless of when he died. He could have very easily produced another string of films that would have elevated him to even greater levels of fame. You can make the same argument of James Dean. He was still a star on the rise no matter when he died. This isn't cult of personality we are talking about. This is the cultural zeitgeist of the 1970's. Bruce Lee created the global fascination with martial arts. Do we have mixed martial arts now if Bruce Lee doesn't explode onto the World stage? We are talking an absurd amount of influence felt through multiple cultural strata.

In addition, we aren't just talking about Superman. We are talking about a hyper specific representation of one actor as Superman. I love Christopher Reeve, but he isn't everyone's ideal Man of Steel. We will get him soon enough. I thought it might be the Mark V Iron Man, but I'm not hung up on the fact we got this instead. I don't think 'fail' factors into this. All the 'pithy' comments i.e. 'fail' and 'yawn' seem like a waste of bandwidth. They chose Michael Jackson because that is what the market demanded at the time. I didn't buy those, but I understood there was a huge market for it. I'm sure this one is more of passion project than anything else.

Apart from that, let us all keep some perspective please. 1.4 Billion Chinese + the rest of Asia vs. 300 million or so Americans. Obviously, both characters cross borders all over the World but you get my meaning. Hot Toys is dealing with a global marketplace.

I will say I am mystified why they chose to tackle Bruce after Enterbay produced absolute masterpieces. It is great for the people who never grabbed the EB releases. A huge step up from Medicom, but overall I think a slight step down from the Enterbay versions.

If you (all, not the guy I quoted specifically) want to frame the discussion as Hot Toys' license choices and timing, I'm all for it. Like, why Platoon and why now? Arguing against the product quality on a prototype with HT's track record of delivery seems absurd. Not every release is going to ring everyone's bells and no one is forcing you to buy these figures. The World isn't a better place now or six months from now for not having DX 0-whatever Christopher Reeve Superman/ T-800/ Iron Man Mark V in it.

Just walk past a window with a Hot Toys figure in the display. It makes me want to buy the figure regardless of whether I like the license or not. I'm just happy companies like Hot Toys and Enterbay even exist. We are in a golden age of collecting.

The announcement of this figure really shows me how self-centered and egotistical some Americans can be.

I really respect America for your sense of Justice and how strongly you guys protect your Freedom of Speech and I still do believe me but seriously wake up, America doesn't equals the rest of the world anymore and in retrospect, the country with the most population is still China. That means Chinese people, and that means Bruce Lee is more their icon than Superman ever will be.

Just so you know, if this announcement where to have gone the other way, i.e Reeves Superman or Rocky or Rambo, a lot of Chinese will not be pissing on the parade like some of you guys are doing now.

They are disappointed by their own fault. They kept putting in their head that it was going to be Superman and for no reason at all since there was nothing pointing to this. I for one am ecstatic at this announcement. I hope they continue with GoD and so on...

That's of course, true, but come on, we've seen dozens of BL already. As someone pointed out earlier, the only CR Supes will ever be likely to get is Mattel's... that's why it's such a let down to many of us...

If that is why people are being such babies about this release then, i agree with you Noise.

Hot Toys have done a ____ load of Caucasian characters, there should be no rivering over this release..it is a awesome figure and i will buy this.

If anything, people should have cried more about the MJ DX.

I for one, do not want a Reeve Superman with PERS.

Just one Clark and Superman sculpt with both outfits included and a crystal console with crystals included.

This is an overall response to a lot of the comments in this thread, not just about the above quotation.

Hollywood's racism of the time doesn't change the fact that he was a superstar in Asia and would have received World wide fame regardless of when he died. He could have very easily produced another string of films that would have elevated him to even greater levels of fame. You can make the same argument of James Dean. He was still a star on the rise no matter when he died. This isn't cult of personality we are talking about. This is the cultural zeitgeist of the 1970's. Bruce Lee created the global fascination with martial arts. Do we have mixed martial arts now if Bruce Lee doesn't explode onto the World stage? We are talking an absurd amount of influence felt through multiple cultural strata.

In addition, we aren't just talking about Superman. We are talking about a hyper specific representation of one actor as Superman. I love Christopher Reeve, but he isn't everyone's ideal Man of Steel. We will get him soon enough. I thought it might be the Mark V Iron Man, but I'm not hung up on the fact we got this instead. I don't think 'fail' factors into this. All the 'pithy' comments i.e. 'fail' and 'yawn' seem like a waste of bandwidth. They chose Michael Jackson because that is what the market demanded at the time. I didn't buy those, but I understood there was a huge market for it. I'm sure this one is more of passion project than anything else.

Apart from that, let us all keep some perspective please. 1.4 Billion Chinese + the rest of Asia vs. 300 million or so Americans. Obviously, both characters cross borders all over the World but you get my meaning. Hot Toys is dealing with a global marketplace.

I will say I am mystified why they chose to tackle Bruce after Enterbay produced absolute masterpieces. It is great for the people who never grabbed the EB releases. A huge step up from Medicom, but overall I think a slight step down from the Enterbay versions.

If you (all, not the guy I quoted specifically) want to frame the discussion as Hot Toys' license choices and timing, I'm all for it. Like, why Platoon and why now? Arguing against the product quality on a prototype with HT's track record of delivery seems absurd. Not every release is going to ring everyone's bells and no one is forcing you to buy these figures. The World isn't a better place now or six months from now for not having DX 0-whatever Christopher Reeve Superman/ T-800/ Iron Man Mark V in it.

Just walk past a window with a Hot Toys figure in the display. It makes me want to buy the figure regardless of whether I like the license or not. I'm just happy companies like Hot Toys and Enterbay even exist. We are in a golden age of collecting.

:goodpost::exactly:

America doesn't equals the rest of the world anymore and in retrospect, the country with the most population is still China. That means Chinese people, and that means Bruce Lee is more their icon than Superman ever will be.

I'm certain Bruce Lee is more of an icon to people in the west than Superman is, only America might be the exception. Superman is considered more for the kiddies and Bruce Lee speaks to both adults and kids.

however THE POINT IS; Enterbay has made perfect Bruce lee figures so HT did not need to make a new crappy version. A good Christopher Reeve superman figure has not been done yet so that would have been cool.

Great looking figure but a pass. I'm actually glad it's something I'm not interested cause with Jill Valentine comming out soon (as well as me wanting to complete the entire RE5 series) and the Berserker Pred as well as the high possibility of the other Preds comming out, I'm really gonna have to watch what I buy.

well, there used to be talks about Big Boss, but that was a while ago, so...

that was actually postponed to next year.

They were actually planning on releasing a BD ETD and BD GOD this year to celebrate Bruce's 70th anniversary.

I am not disappointed at all. ETD is my favorite BL film! And I don't have any of the EB figs, this is awesome. :rock

That's of course, true, but come on, we've seen dozens of BL already. As someone pointed out earlier, the only CR Supes will ever be likely to get is Mattel's... that's why it's such a let down to many of us...

Yes, and this side of the world still can't get enough of BL, especially in China, and most especially that this is to commemorate BL's 70th anniversary.

Seriously, do you still think HT won't capitalize on this?

that was actually postponed to next year.

They were actually planning on releasing a BD ETD and BD GOD this year to celebrate Bruce's 70th anniversary.

That's the main problem with Enterbay, they take forever to release figures so good on them if HT surpasses them with their Bruce. They will have done it to themselves.

Back