Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May 4th is just around the corner... time to send this bad boy on his way to obsolete town!

Gotta put the PO's up for the new Bespin Luke to arrive in 2-3 years!

I love this set.
It was Hot Toys first release in their Star wars line and it will always have a special place for me.
If anything,May 4th should be Bespin Han and Lando,Padme and Jango,and of course,that elusive Death Star trooper!!!

If thats true, do you think that this figure would drop from the ridiculous asking price on ebay?

Even if they announce another Bespin Luke, it won't be this package. You wouldn't be getting 2 sculpts and battle damaged clothes. Hell at this point I just hope they give an actual new sculpt instead of the RotJ sculpt looking the other way. I hate that type of head re-use.

With the current climate of lockdown,I've seen at least 5 of these go up on EBay in Australia the past 5 weeks.
Still crazy prices but I assume people are starting to prioritize.
Unless the new Bespin Luke comes with something NOT with this set,then there is No point to.double up.
Am sure it will be Jedi Luke again though.

Even if they announce another Bespin Luke, it won't be this package. You wouldn't be getting 2 sculpts and battle damaged clothes. Hell at this point I just hope they give an actual new sculpt instead of the RotJ sculpt looking the other way. I hate that type of head re-use.

Maybe youre right. At the rate that Hot Toys (in my opinion), has been flaking through the years by increasing in prices on average figures and delivering less than they did 10 years ago-- I think that this figure along with the DX Indiana (regardless of whether the face is Ford or not), and others would still have their place in the collection as relevant.

By the way I also agree about the re-use of sculpts by Hot Toys-- especially when they have the fixed side view-- I dont like any of that. Im also not a fan of the mouth-breather sculpts like Jedi Luke.

With the current climate of lockdown,I've seen at least 5 of these go up on EBay in Australia the past 5 weeks.
Still crazy prices but I assume people are starting to prioritize.
Unless the new Bespin Luke comes with something NOT with this set,then there is No point to.double up.
Am sure it will be Jedi Luke again though.

I agree. If they are releasing it and they use the same Jedi sculpt, then I dont see any point in buying the whole figure again just to get a new hairpiece. Im glad that I was able to get this figure at a reasonable price (full set at $200), way before the extreme gouging prices started. I was also able to also get the Star Wars and ROTJ Luke figures, before they went up like crazy too.

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up for any special releases on May 4th. The last time Hot Toys released a Star Wars figure on that day was 3 years ago with Hoth Leia. The fact is Hot Toys couldn't give a damn about May 4th.

I wouldn't be getting your hopes up for any special releases on May 4th. The last time Hot Toys released a Star Wars figure on that day was 3 years ago with Hoth Leia. The fact is Hot Toys couldn't give a damn about May 4th.

Or any anniversary date for that matter. I think sometimes they just promo mention an anniversary because it just happens to coincide with a figure they were going to release anyway.

Yeah, it seems they may be going the same way with Luke that they did with Leia - where it's the same head with different hair, over and over. People seem to be snapping up the Leias (Hoth, Endor and Bespin all the same face sculpt) and with the first few releases of the Luke (Jedi, both DX toothy and sideways looking sculpts, and now Bespin V.2 all variations on the same face sculpt) so I guess HT figures we'll do the same with others.

Yeah, it seems they may be going the same way with Luke that they did with Leia - where it's the same head with different hair, over and over. People seem to be snapping up the Leias (Hoth, Endor and Bespin all the same face sculpt) and with the first few releases of the Luke (Jedi, both DX toothy and sideways looking sculpts, and now Bespin V.2 all variations on the same face sculpt) so I guess HT figures we'll do the same with others.

I can kinda accept it with Leia because her features do look pretty similar from ESB to ROTJ and I think the sculpt they are using is good. But Luke/Mark is a different story as his appearance seemed to change a good bit from film to film and even scene to scene. I am pretty interested in another Bespin Luke at this point but we need a new sculpt started from scratch.

HT has done a couple of nice packages lately with accessories, I really hope if they do re-do Bespin Luke they give him the option to be a Dagobah training Luke and have a backpack for Yoda and other Dagobah accessories.

I can kinda accept it with Leia because her features do look pretty similar from ESB to ROTJ and I think the sculpt they are using is good. But Luke/Mark is a different story as his appearance seemed to change a good bit from film to film and even scene to scene. I am pretty interested in another Bespin Luke at this point but we need a new sculpt started from scratch.

I dunno, Leia in ANH has the youthful round face and puffy cheeks and in ROTJ she looks positively matronly and a little gaunt in some shots - I think the coke was biting by that time, along with her just looking a bit older (from just-out-of-teens in ANH to past mid-twenties in ROTJ.)

It's not helped by her often awful make-up in ROTJ, which has a drag queen vibe in certain lighting. In ESB she looks best - leaner, but before the drug addiction had started its toll on her features, though there are a couple shots on Bespin where you can see hints of her ROTJ look.

So I'd argue Leia has pretty different facial looks in the three OT films. I'd also argue the current stock Leia sculpt HT is using works on the Hoth figure pretty well but less well on the Bespin version. The black hair paint doesn't help. But bottom line is that neither the HT ANH sculpt nor the ESB/ROTJ sculpt they are using are amazing bullseyes (the ANH one is closer) so I'd love to see new sculpts each time.

I dunno, Leia in ANH has the youthful round face and puffy cheeks and in ROTJ she looks positively matronly and a little gaunt in some shots - I think the coke was biting by that time, along with her just looking a bit older (from just-out-of-teens in ANH to past mid-twenties in ROTJ.)

It's not helped by her often awful make-up in ROTJ, which has a drag queen vibe in certain lighting. In ESB she looks best - leaner, but before the drug addiction had started its toll on her features, though there are a couple shots on Bespin where you can see hints of her ROTJ look.

So I'd argue Leia has pretty different facial looks in the three OT films. I'd also argue the current stock Leia sculpt HT is using works on the Hoth figure pretty well but less well on the Bespin version. The black hair paint doesn't help. But bottom line is that neither the HT ANH sculpt nor the ESB/ROTJ sculpt they are using are amazing bullseyes (the ANH one is closer) so I'd love to see new sculpts each time.

I agree she looks a good bit different from ANH to ESB but much less so from ESB to ROTJ. And I feel like the ANH sculpt is pretty bang on. That dress though. But yes, ideally for what the figures cost we would get new sculpts every release. I'll be most curious how Wicket turns out in production because we already have a pretty good idea about ROTJ Leia.

What's funny about the DX07 is I thought it was too expensive way back in the day (I mean the way I saw it, it was $300 for two of the same fig in a time when SSC figs were $135 each) so didn't get it but I recently realized - having just received the Vader helmet accessory a week or so ago - I now have every single thing from the set except the box.

The funny thing is, even though I got some amazing deals (eg a complete BD Luke fig for about $100, multiple sets of boots for about $20 each) I probably ended up paying about $100 extra vs if I'd just bought it back in the day.:lol:gah::slap

@Talibane,as you probably know,you can probably pick up the box for a bargain on ebay at some stage too.

Yeah, I should I guess. I looked on ebay and there's one there that's a bit too expensive but I'll watch to see if one comes up at a better price. But then I thought - ugh, another box to store (I basically need another spare room just for boxes these days):lol

And while the set is really cool, I do think the headsculpts are becoming just a touch dated. Definitely still displayable alongside the newest releases (unlike even mid-era Sideshow,) but not at the same level.

The hairsculpts especially stand out as not as fine and realistic as the newest HT hair, and I find the non-BD hair to be a somewhat unrealistic hair sculpt. While I still think the BD sculpt is the best Luke likeness in 1/6 (albeit very moment-specific so of limited use) and I've never learned to love the regular head (neither initially through pics nor in hand) the heads themselves don't quite have that "living person shrunk to 1/6" that many of the newest HT heads have. The paint is just not close to the level you see on the newest Luke Jedi head that they're using for the V.2 Bespin.

What appealed most to me about the 2.0 figure they had displayed was the seemingly longer sleeves on the jacket, which covered up the wrist pegs better than the jacket on this figure does.

However, I recall watching ESB again on TV a few months ago around when TRoS came out in theaters and the jacket sleeves actually were pretty short, which is reflected better on the sleeves on the jacket of this figure.

I’m also in the minority here, but I’ve actually always taken a liking to the non-BD sculpt with this set. Not perfect by any means, but I never really got the impression that it’s a poor portrait, or even outdated. Maybe slightly outdated, but for being a what, 8 year old figure or something like that, I think it still holds its ground. I actually think it’s a better portrait than the RotJ sculpt, which I don’t think is poor, either.

Back