Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected AGAIN. I'm getting old... I remembered the years-long conflict between the peak lovers and the peak haters, but then I just couldn't find any good comparison shots to prove to myself that it had a basis in reality. (I didn't put in much effort, evidently) These days, when I actually do play the films, I'm working on a model project and not actually looking at my tv screen.

Something I've had for a while, a couple of photographs that may help with Vader's proportions. I've used this to construct a custom body for my Vader. Dressed it gives " the look" .

Hope they help. :)
Thanks for posting those photos; they WILL help me when I sculpt the David Prowse head. They'll help me get the size of the head right, and the length of the neck.

This side-by-side with the HT Vader matches up pretty well. The waistline looks off at first, but that's only because the belt, codpiece, and chest box all need to be raised higher on the HT costume.

Dave_prowse_fitness_is_fun_119 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to help. :)

A little something I've been working away on. Completely built from scratch. The rods are from the Rogue one figure and the coin slots are from the ANH Vader figure. Some of the lines are slightly off but I'm planning to rework these when I find some free time.

20180927_123816.jpg

20180927_123836.jpg

Happy to help. :)

A little something I've been working away on. Completely built from scratch. The rods are from the Rogue one figure and the coin slots are from the ANH Vader figure. Some of the lines are slightly off but I'm planning to rework these when I find some free time.

View attachment 428116

View attachment 428115

Looking like it’s coming along really well :clap Where did you find those green and red plastic pieces? I’ve been looking for control panel type thingies like those for a while now.

Is there something so wrong about the HT chest box that makes it worth constructing a custom-corrected one?

There are differing opinions on the chestboxes , I suppose it's down to personal preference. I have a vision of how I want my Vader to look ( as I'm sure many others do ) I'm just giving it all the little touches that gives it the character it deserves. I love The character. Something as iconic as Vader should be given the respect it deserves and I'm slowly working on it. I don't think that there will be any original untouched parts on this when it is completed. I've made custom cloak and inner tunic, totally revamped the boots to look as they should have done, resculpted a set of shins with accurate shape and fit. The helmet and mask have been completely overhauled etc etc.

Going back to the chestbox, it will be accurately proportioned when I'm done. I have incorporated locating holes for the rods and coin slots so that it will be easier to attach parts once painted. I'm going to be taking a mould from all my "custom parts" as I'm sure that it will be a matter of time before I get the itch to add an accurate ESB version to my shelf also and having the parts ready made so to speak will save me an awful lot of work.

There are differing opinions on the chestboxes , I suppose it's down to personal preference. I have a vision of how I want my Vader to look ( as I'm sure many others do ) I'm just giving it all the little touches that gives it the character it deserves. I love The character. Something as iconic as Vader should be given the respect it deserves and I'm slowly working on it. I don't think that there will be any original untouched parts on this when it is completed. I've made custom cloak and inner tunic, totally revamped the boots to look as they should have done, resculpted a set of shins with accurate shape and fit. The helmet and mask have been completely overhauled etc etc.

Going back to the chestbox, it will be accurately proportioned when I'm done. I have incorporated locating holes for the rods and coin slots so that it will be easier to attach parts once painted. I'm going to be taking a mould from all my "custom parts" as I'm sure that it will be a matter of time before I get the itch to add an accurate ESB version to my shelf also and having the parts ready made so to speak will save me an awful lot of work.
I hope you didn't think I was trivializing your work- it's looking great. I just didn't know if there's something really dimensionally inaccurate about the stock HT chest box or not, and I know how much work projects like this require; I do them myself often. I'm just focused on fixing the things that stand out as obviously wrong, such as the nose, grill, belt, shoulder/chest armor, etc.

Is there something so wrong about the HT chest box that makes it worth constructing a custom-corrected one?

It's an improvement over the Sideshow DX one for sure (which is a whisker too small, aside from other inaccuracies,) but it's certainly not a bullseye. This pic probably shows the issues best... the prop box is on the left, HT box on the right, both box frames and vertical switches made the same size for comparison.

You can see the coin slots are vertically too big (or fat) and the vertical switches, while overall the right size, are too narrow in the way they are finished. The combination of the switches being the right size but the coin slots being too fat is what make it seem slightly off at a glance, because the coin slots are supposed to be skinny.

[
44912825462_e2b70889b5_o.png

I hope you didn't think I was trivializing your work- it's looking great. I just didn't know if there's something really dimensionally inaccurate about the stock HT chest box or not, and I know how much work projects like this require; I do them myself often. I'm just focused on fixing the things that stand out as obviously wrong, such as the nose, grill, belt, shoulder/chest armor, etc.

No, not at all. I just find it difficult to stop at just one fix for things! :lol

It's an improvement over the Sideshow DX one for sure (which is a whisker too small, aside from other inaccuracies,) but it's certainly not a bullseye. This pic probably shows the issues best... the prop box is on the left, HT box on the right, both box frames and vertical switches made the same size for comparison.

You can see the coin slots are vertically too big (or fat) and the vertical switches, while overall the right size, are too narrow in the way they are finished. The combination of the switches being the right size but the coin slots being too fat is what make it seem slightly off at a glance, because the coin slots are supposed to be skinny.

[
44912825462_e2b70889b5_o.png
I just noticed something from the real prop photo on the left: The 'coin slots' are exactly the same as the virtical row of small shapes that are located on R2D2, to the left of the central vents on R2's belly. Knowing the habits of prop makers, they were almost certainly cast from the same mold for R2 and Vader. With that in mind, you could take an impression from them on the HT R2, make a small mold, and cast perfect copies to use for your ESB chest box.

star-wars-r2-d2-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902800-14.jpg

Last edited:
@WTC, wow what a project! Are you changing the chin part because of the vent size only, or is there anything else shape wise that you prefer on the ANH chin?

The ESB mask is shaped differently because of the large chin vent and I’m not much of a sculptor, so chopping up the masks and fitting them back together is just easier for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to recall someone was looking for a photograph of Vader's ANH boots.

Hope these help. :)

View attachment 428038

Ya know, I have that pic, but for some reason I though the HT, ANH boots were shaped more incorrectly than they are and required more of a bump to the toe box, but now that I see this pic again, the HT, ANH boots are pretty accurate. The sole is too squared at the toe, but filing easily fixes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added a slight bump toe to mine. It was tricky removing the soles, pulling the pleather away gently and reshaping the toes / soles. The other fun part was putting them back together again. ( not) I'm quite impressed with how they turned out.

Back