Hot Toys Bespin Luke 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, that’s not how licensing works.
Whomever holds the copyright never instigates product. They can withhold the rights to given product(Slave Leia), or perhaps give incentives(Perhaps cheaper licensing deals), but they don’t control what is made.
The licensee asks for a licence and the copyright holder tells them the cost, usually an upfront cost based on projected sales over the term of the licence.
It’s practically unheard of for any copyright holder to tell manufacturers what to make.
The manufacturers only pick what they thin they can sell.

I mean Lucasfilm must have told Hasbro and Hot Toys to both design and manufacture the Sith Trooper (in secret) to have available for San Diego Comic Con or do you think that was a coincidence?

Sadly, that’s not how licensing works.
Whomever holds the copyright never instigates product. They can withhold the rights to given product(Slave Leia), or perhaps give incentives(Perhaps cheaper licensing deals), but they don’t control what is made.
The licensee asks for a licence and the copyright holder tells them the cost, usually an upfront cost based on projected sales over the term of the licence.
It’s practically unheard of for any copyright holder to tell manufacturers what to make.
The manufacturers only pick what they thin they can sell.

That I can believe, especially after speaking to some people in the know. Perhaps it was just coincidence with Jabba etc ? However I'm sure in a case of new big budget movies with high secrecy, both parties would confer which characters are the ones to focus on. HT would then decide based on some inside info.

In any case we get what we get. Even if it is Venompool.

I mean Lucasfilm must have told Hasbro and Hot Toys to both design and manufacture the Sith Trooper (in secret) to have available for San Diego Comic Con or do you think that was a coincidence?

Not at all.
When they are making the movie, they have a hush-hush summit with toy manufacturers and current licencees, to show them what they are going with(In terms of character design, costumes, spacecraft designs, etc), and the current licencees(Or potential licencees), decide what they want to purchase licences for. I have no idea what Hot Toy's licence is for, but i would guess it's an all-encompassing character licence with wiggle room for variants or different versions(Like a generic Stormtrooper licence but they made those godawful gold and bone china looking ones, for example). It's a no-brainer to make the latest coolest looking armour(And i'm guessing with all the detail changes of the armour that all the troopers will have the same armour, but the others will be white. I doubt Hot Toys or Hasbro were "ordered" to make them, but it makes perfect financial sense to make them when you have the licence anyway.

That I can believe, especially after speaking to some people in the know. Perhaps it was just coincidence with Jabba etc ? However I'm sure in a case of new big budget movies with high secrecy, both parties would confer which characters are the ones to focus on. HT would then decide based on some inside info.

Twenty different companies could approach Lucasfilm to get licences for Jabba. As long as each one is in a different niche in the market(Or in a different part of the global market), they can all get a licence. Sometimes certain properties are hotter than others, and it might be that Jabba was just on two companies' minds at the same time.

It's most likely the reverse of this: Lucasfilm allowed them to reveal the Sith Trooper.

Either Hasbro and Hot Toys were both already making a Sith Trooper (which is highly likely), and Lucasfilm saw the uniqueness of the figure as a good way to tease RoS and allowed an early release, or as part of the original embargo, the Sith Trooper was a early release exception.

Not at all.
When they are making the movie, they have a hush-hush summit with toy manufacturers and current licencees, to show them what they are going with(In terms of character design, costumes, spacecraft designs, etc), and the current licencees(Or potential licencees), decide what they want to purchase licences for. I have no idea what Hot Toy's licence is for, but i would guess it's an all-encompassing character licence with wiggle room for variants or different versions(Like a generic Stormtrooper licence but they made those godawful gold and bone china looking ones, for example). It's a no-brainer to make the latest coolest looking armour(And i'm guessing with all the detail changes of the armour that all the troopers will have the same armour, but the others will be white. I doubt Hot Toys or Hasbro were "ordered" to make them, but it makes perfect financial sense to make them when you have the licence anyway.

It's most likely the reverse of this: Lucasfilm allowed them to reveal the Sith Trooper.

Either Hasbro and Hot Toys were both already making a Sith Trooper (which is highly likely), and Lucasfilm saw the uniqueness of the figure as a good way to tease RoS and allowed an early release, or as part of the original embargo, the Sith Trooper was a early release exception.

Of course both were making the Sith Trooper, but you don't just "allow" an early release. Hot Toys especially take MONTHS of lead up time. They didn't do anything of the sort for the first two movies in having figures in hand months beforehand. The figures are in hand 5 months before the movies release, when has Hot Toys done that before? They didn't just have these sitting around and then Lucasfilm said go ahead. You've got to be kidding me right? Same thing with Hasbro, that was a special packed boxed figure. That's not a store release at all, again months of lead up.

Plus both reveals were done by Starwars.com same day. I'm not trying to be conspiratorial, but it's incredibly obvious it was a coordinated effort to have both figures released for SDCC.

Of course both were making the Sith Trooper, but you don't just "allow" an early release. Hot Toys especially take MONTHS of lead up time. They didn't do anything of the sort for the first two movies in having figures in hand months beforehand. The figures are in hand 5 months before the movies release, when has Hot Toys done that before? They didn't just have these sitting around and then Lucasfilm said go ahead. You've got to be kidding me right? Same thing with Hasbro, that was a special packed boxed figure. That's not a store release at all, again months of lead up.

Plus both reveals were done by Starwars.com same day. I'm not trying to be conspiratorial, but it's incredibly obvious it was a coordinated effort to have both figures released for SDCC.
Yeah, Disney obviously proposed a coordinated release to Hot Toys and Hasbro, and HT and Hasbro clearly agreed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This is more or less how it goes. I worked for one of the largest buyers of Hasbro in North America and planning/concept meetings happen all the time with Lucasfilm and the other toy manufacturers. There are only a few representatives from each Co and what they’re shown is limited (along with signing NDAs) & from these meetings business proposals & marketing decisions, etc are made. Than additional meetings take place for production. Major meetings take place for the Holidays in August with retailers where you can see the product packaging and even some prototypes along with a lot of festivities. For example I saw the actual prop of Rey’s speeder, her outfit and Finns outfit 3 months before the film was released along with all the toys being released. So the point I’m making is this trooper was designed, planned for and produced at least 12-16 months ago (if not longer).

Not at all.

Twenty different companies could approach Lucasfilm to get licences for Jabba. As long as each one is in a different niche in the market(Or in a different part of the global market), they can all get a licence. Sometimes certain properties are hotter than others, and it might be that Jabba was just on two companies' minds at the same time.

Not just HT and Hasbro. Lego also had a bust of the Sith Trooper as an SDCC exclusive. Lego has notoriously long development and planning times so that design has been with them for a while. That's a coordinated effort to push for this figure as the teaser piece for IX.

At ACGHK from Hot Toys' Facebook:

67245181_10156398738697344_1793766166024421376_n.jpg

I'm guessing it smooths out the joints and stops the fabric getting pinched in between them?

Looking at that ACGHK photo, I agree that the body looks too buff, and like Talibane and others have said, the sculpt is a tad toothy.

3.6 Roentgen.

Looking at that ACGHK photo, I agree that the body looks too buff, and like Talibane and others have said, the sculpt is a tad toothy.

3.6 Roentgen.

Yeah, I'm still mulling repainting the teeth on the ROTJ head I have; either just lessening the bottom teeth, or also making the top teeth are slightly bigger as well.

I think it's the even-ness of the size/height of top and bottom teeth that looks weird - it's a defining feature of baby teeth - so altering that balance somehow might improve the look.

I also don't think the sideways glance helps either - it does work with some heads but I'm not sure it works as well with this one.

As I’ve said before, the only thing I like better about this thus far is the jacket for what looks to be slightly longer sleeves.

Have they ever released a human with *only* side looking eyes? What are the odds this will include another head sculpt with forward looking eyes? I really need this guy for my collection. And, honestly, I’d be totally fine with this headsculpt. But those eyes are so darn limiting when it comes to poses!

Yeah, I'm still mulling repainting the teeth on the ROTJ head I have; either just lessening the bottom teeth, or also making the top teeth are slightly bigger as well.

I think it's the even-ness of the size/height of top and bottom teeth that looks weird - it's a defining feature of baby teeth - so altering that balance somehow might improve the look.

I also don't think the sideways glance helps either - it does work with some heads but I'm not sure it works as well with this one.

The two rows of equally-sized teeth is a weird choice, but I honestly don't think getting rid of the bottom row (or even making the top row bigger) would make much difference. In the middle pic below, I darkened out the bottom row of teeth on this Bespin Luke version of the ROTJ sculpt, and I don't think it improves the likeness.

I think there's too much else that's off just enough to add up to a less-than-stellar portrait. The hair is too much like a helmet; the eyebrows are thinner; the chin isn't long enough; the jawline seems off; the way the mouth dimples at the ends . . . just a lot of little things that don't seem quite right. But since this might be a placeholder for a new sculpt, I guess there's still hope.

LukeTeethComp.jpg

Back