Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
I've just signed up here, after pre-ordering one of these beauties, having recently discovering they exist (from ForbiddenPlanet UK - they don't have any more, I'm afraid).
I don't normally buy models, and certainly not at this kind of price, but this just looks so awesome I thought, "what the hell" :wink1:
I'm guessing I have the recent appearance of the hover version to thank for still being able to order the original - I assume it was still available due to cancelled pre-orders.

Does seem a little odd that there are going to be two versions, when it looks like swappable parts should easily allow one model to do both versions, but I really much prefer the original version of the car anyway, so I'm not interested in waiting for the hover version.

TBH, although I can (somehow!) totally accept the concept of a time machine built into a car as plausible, the hover conversion is too much for my suspension of disbelief to accept!
And although I loved the first film, I really didn't think much at all of either of the sequels. So, Plutonium power and normal wheels all the way for me!

I've no previous experience of HT models, so I've only got the various videos and photos to go on. Based on other models, is this likely to have loose/removable parts, or will it all be glued together as one thing?
E.g. is the stuff on the dash (the alarm clock, radiation meter, etc) likely to be attached, or just placed into position? Someone commented earlier in this thread about a photo where the radiation meter was the wrong way around - facing out of the windscreen, so that suggests that parts will be loose.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of wall-mounting it in my man-cave, and wondering whether I'll need to glue things in place or not.

Anyway, looking forward to this arriving, and feel sorry for you guys that have known about and been waiting for this for such a long time.

Welcome to the Boards to a very addictive hobby. I suppose u could put on nice shelf who know's if it will have small wheel locks that can be removed like the 89 batmobile did ? On the parts part all assembled and fixed put together. Also lot of us would love interchangeable parts to change to hover but sadly its a seperate release and hopefully gets released. As of now the 1st version is only 1 delorean release and we will all see if HOT TOYS make's all 3 vesion's. Again welcome to the boards and future and this crazy hobby.

Welcome to the Boards to a very addictive hobby.
Thanks. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too addictive. I don't have infinite funds (or space), and I've already got other expensive hobbies! :wink1:

I suppose u could put on nice shelf who know's if it will have small wheel locks that can be removed like the 89 batmobile did ?
I was actually thinking about somehow mounting it with all wheels on the wall, as I think that might look pretty cool. On the other hand, it might look stupid like that - hard to know without trying it. I'd have to be reallycertain it was held securely too. Do NOT want this dropping onto the floor.

On the parts part all assembled and fixed put together.
Ok, thanks.

Also lot of us would love interchangeable parts to change to hover but sadly its a seperate release and hopefully gets released. As of now the 1st version is only 1 delorean release and we will all see if HOT TOYS make's all 3 vesion's.
For those who prefer the hover version, I can imagine the frustration! If you skip this version, and then the hover one never gets released (has it actually been confirmed if/when it will happen?) then you've missed out totally. But buying both when they are so similar in most ways is super spendy.

Again welcome to the boards and future and this crazy hobby.
Cheers!

meh, im getting both or all 3 if it happens. I too am in the "the plutonium version is the best" boat but at the same time a 1/6th scale hover version would look cool too. I love BTTF and I love Deloreans more so yes, all three for me.

I have recently found out that the partwork company Eaglemoss are bringing out a 1/8th scale diecast model next year which I also will be collecting. The thing looks very sexy

BUILD THE BACK TO THE FUTURE DELOREAN

I have recently found out that the partwork company Eaglemoss are bringing out a 1/8th scale diecast model next year which I also will be collecting. The thing looks very sexy
BUILD THE BACK TO THE FUTURE DELOREAN

That does look really nice, but I'd be very wary of
a. How much is it going to cost in total? (They don't say how many issues, and it's £8 per issue), and
b. How confident are you that they'll actually complete the series, and not just abandon it half way through if they aren't selling enough any more?
If they were selling it as an all in one kit, that you could buy in one go, that would be a different matter, and I'd be extremely tempted.

In fact, a bit of googling says that they've already run four issues, then stopped, and may or may not restart:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=917533721661751&set=o.547333735415620&type=3&theater
(To be fair to them, they claim to be offering refunds)

Only need 1 delorean for myself i think lol but I'm down for 3 Marty's if i get at least 1 or 2 doc's out of this line. I'd love my 80's doc in white coat with remote control and 2 hazard pluto suits for us and a western doc n future doc would be my faves to choose. A western set of marty n doc on some horse's 4 my display next to car i'd love to have 4 a display is my dream set up.

That does look really nice, but I'd be very wary of
a. How much is it going to cost in total? (They don't say how many issues, and it's £8 per issue), and
b. How confident are you that they'll actually complete the series, and not just abandon it half way through if they aren't selling enough any more?
If they were selling it as an all in one kit, that you could buy in one go, that would be a different matter, and I'd be extremely tempted.

In fact, a bit of googling says that they've already run four issues, then stopped, and may or may not restart:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=917533721661751&set=o.547333735415620&type=3&theater
(To be fair to them, they claim to be offering refunds)

the 4 issue run was a tester. partwork collections always go through this and they usually always start uk wide in the new year. there are a planned 60 to 80 issues for the build. yes it will be expensive but I find it hard to say no to a delorean.

As for completing the entire series, it does state that once you subscribe, all the parts are allocated to you so that you will be able to complete the car. Basically, they have all the parts already made but only release them to you on a weekly basis. The aston martin DB5 was done in very much the same way as is the millennium falcon.

Anyway, the website itself applies to the testers that were sent out and will be updated most likely when its released or you start to see the adverts for it.

Oh and you will be able to swap out parts so you can have the plutonium version or the mr fusion/hover version. Also, the toll booth windows open and close and the door lights also work, hell even the flux bands light up! Besides the fact this will be diecast, if hot toys can get close to this I will be very happy. The HT proto was very lacking in certain areas and I would hope/think they have updated it and tweeked it

here is what its gonna look like once complete:

the 4 issue run was a tester. partwork collections always go through this and they usually always start uk wide in the new year. there are a planned 60 to 80 issues for the build. yes it will be expensive but I find it hard to say no to a delorean.
Ok, I've never done a part-work, so maybe this is standard practice. Why do they do this though? Is it just to judge likely demand before they go into full production? If it is 60 to 80 issues then that drops the price a bit, at least.

As for completing the entire series, it does state that once you subscribe, all the parts are allocated to you so that you will be able to complete the car. Basically, they have all the parts already made but only release them to you on a weekly basis. The aston martin DB5 was done in very much the same way as is the millennium falcon.

Anyway, the website itself applies to the testers that were sent out and will be updated most likely when its released or you start to see the adverts for it.

Oh and you will be able to swap out parts so you can have the plutonium version or the mr fusion/hover version. Also, the toll booth windows open and close and the door lights also work, hell even the flux bands light up! Besides the fact this will be diecast, if hot toys can get close to this I will be very happy. The HT proto was very lacking in certain areas and I would hope/think they have updated it and tweeked it
Don't get me wrong, this does look really nice, I'm just wary of the idea that you might spend a lot of money (and time) getting most of a model, and then they cancel it (e.g. if not enough people keep up their subscription for it to be worth their while anymore).
If they offered it as an all in one kit rather than a subscription, I'd be very interested.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. I'll probably not go for it myself, but it's interesting to know about it.
Hope it turns into an ace model for you!

Ok, I've never done a part-work, so maybe this is standard practice. Why do they do this though? Is it just to judge likely demand before they go into full production? If it is 60 to 80 issues then that drops the price a bit, at least.

Don't get me wrong, this does look really nice, I'm just wary of the idea that you might spend a lot of money (and time) getting most of a model, and then they cancel it (e.g. if not enough people keep up their subscription for it to be worth their while anymore).
If they offered it as an all in one kit rather than a subscription, I'd be very interested.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. I'll probably not go for it myself, but it's interesting to know about it.
Hope it turns into an ace model for you!

I believe it is just to see what the demand will be. Its fairly standard practice. I dont really do part works myself but this is just too tempting. As I stated, the James Bond DB5 was complete in around 80 issues and something tells me the DB5 has a slightly less appeal to it than the delorean. Im not sure, James Bond and BTTF do have a big fanbase. Plus the delorean appeals to delorean enthusiasts and not just BTTF fans which is why I still see the HT delorean selling out even if people cancel their POs in favor and hopes for the hover version.

As i said, if they cancel it they will have to refund you up to the latest issue (which you would have to send back) otherwise a small claims court will sort them out. They have stated in their T&Cs that a full model is allocated to you from the start of your subscription. It implies they have all the parts from the very beginning and they just send them out once a week/fortnight.

If it does get the full go ahead (which I cant see why it wouldnt) you could try emailing them and asking if they would be prepared to send you the full model. I dont see that happening myself, but you never know.

Sadly, I know that once its out I will find it very hard not to start it. I really hope this doesnt turn into a let down

yeah seen the undercarriage lights earlier in the year but the thing is the lights should be green not white. Its only a small thing which I can overlook thankfully though.

yeah seen the undercarriage lights earlier in the year but the thing is the lights should be green not white. Its only a small thing which I can overlook thankfully though.

If the production piece has white under carriage lights it should be an easy fix with a green gel or a clear green paint.

its still only a prototype and it may still yet go up for pre order. we wont really know till at least the Mk1 car has sold first

Back