Hot Toys 2012 Toy Fair/Sideshow Exclusive Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the videos, and I'm sure it is impressive, but it's still just a glorified version of what we've already seen with the other Iron Man figures. A bit more plastic involved, and new molds and tooling (but that applies to any new Iron Man figure). I'm just not seeing something that should logically cost over twice the cost of a regular Iron Man figure. Of course, logic doesn't feed very strongly into HT's pricing decisions or collectors' buying decisions for that matter.

But you're not just paying for the extra plastic and retooling -- you're also paying for the larger box, the additional transportation costs due to size to get this puppy out of China and closer to you, and you're paying for a unique figure that is unlikely to be reused for anything else which probably has a very low edition size (means the value will soar in a year's time).

All that, plus HT knows only truly dedicated fans will want this and they know those dedicated fans will pony up the extra cash to get it.

Truthfully though, this looks more impressive and seems more difficult to build than the batmobile, which is $150 more.

you're also paying for the larger box, the additional transportation costs due to size to get this puppy out of China and closer to you, and you're paying for a unique figure that is unlikely to be reused for anything else which probably has a very low edition size (means the value will soar in a year's time).
I doubt the Mark V will be reused, so I'm not sure about the last point. Edition size, well, that's largely gonna be a function of price. If it were cheaper than more folks would buy it. But regarding the larger, heavier box. . .this is $480! C'mon now. I bet dollars to donuts this thing doesn't cost more than $50 to produce.

Yeah, of course costs include lots of things beyond production, but when production is a small fraction of the final sales cost, then you've got to figure that there is a huge profit being made. That's the case with just about any HT figure (otherwise, how could a nude figure with a head painted just as well as any other figure, and with everything except clothing, accessories, license cost, and fancier box cost 1/4 the price of a regular figure release?).

I won't argue with you that the Batmobile is ridiculously overpriced :D Same story. They charge what folks will pay.

I agree. And I have no problem with at all, like I said before. I'm just trying to use their behavior as a means of estimating how they would handle something like, say, a 1/6th scale Bat-Signal. If made, it would be big and fancy, and it would be associated with Batman. Hoping for a figure plus the signal for $200 is a bit overly optimistic IMO.

I've seen the videos, and I'm sure it is impressive, but it's still just a glorified version of what we've already seen with the other Iron Man figures. A bit more plastic involved, and new molds and tooling (but that applies to any new Iron Man figure). I'm just not seeing something that should logically cost over twice the cost of a regular Iron Man figure. Of course, HT is just charging what people will pay. Nothing wrong with that.

Agree to disagree I guess. I've seen it up close and personal and see exactly why it's costing twice the cost of a regular iron man figure.

OK. Why, then?

Well, as you've stated it's twice as big and totally new tooling that will be a one off. That is until we get the dx 2.0 down the road. :lol The molds to make sure the detail isn't lost or the articulation isn't lost cant be cheap. There are going to be lots of big and little parts that have to be just right. Like the other iron man figures it has to light up which I'm sure doesn't add a ton to the cost is part of the final total. Do t forget this has a torso and head sculpt inside and I'm sure the rights to pay bridges are factored in. Then of course you also have all the stuff WG mentioned. Does this all add up to the total we're paying? No, it doesn't but when you factor in a certain % of profit I'm sure they have to make it makes sense.

Last edited:
Well, as you've stated it's twice as big and totally new tooling that will be a one off. That is until we get the dx 2.0 down the road. :lol The molds to make sure the detail isn't lost or the articulation isn't lost cant be cheap. There are going to be lots of big and little parts that have to be just right. Like the other iron man figures it has to light up which I'm sure doesn't add a ton to the cost is part of the final total. Do t forget this has a torso and head sculpt inside and I'm sure the rights to pay bridges are factored in. Then of course you also have all the stuff WG mentioned. Does this all add up to the total we're paying? No, it doesn't but when you factor in a certain % of profit I'm sure they have to make it makes sense.
OK. Fair enough! :hi5:

I think it could easily be worth it to folks who want this character just based on presence alone, and so I can understand folks who see it in person being easier to sway than those that don't.

I'm not sure about that. So big and pricey, plus he's a villain, and unlike some of the other, older IM armors, I don't see it warranting an upgrade unless HT really revolutionizes things one step further with real talking mouths or figures that walk around themselves or something. I don't put anything past HT in that department, but they don't remake just anything--only those things that are popular and would sell. Iron Man himself? Batman? Joker? Batmobile? Yes, of course. Iron Monger? Eh. . .not so sure. Popular enough to be made, and made as a regular release. But that's about as far as I figure it will go.

OK. Fair enough! :hi5:

I think it could easily be worth it to folks who want this character just based on presence alone, and so I can understand folks who see it in person being easier to sway than those that don't.

:hi5::hi5:

Yeah, in person it just really wows ya.

I was thinking it would be the Mark 6 from Avengers considering they gave that as an exclusive for the Avengers movie promotion in HK.

It might just be one or the other now.

USO Cap seems like a good exclusive variant. Rescue Cap seems too popular to waste on a limited release. That would be throwing away money to scalpers.

The good thing about the Penelope figure being an exclusive is she would be available right away rather than preorder and play the waiting game.

Yeah. I really want that figure too. That would be fantastic if she is ready to go soonish.

Back