Hot Toys 1/6 Hoth Leia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5782.jpg
I spent weeks trying to pose her, but now I haven’t touched her for about a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a pretty basic Leia Bespin Escape custom using some Leia Hoth parts (the so-so head is from that knockoff ebay Leia Slave that I managed to get pretty cheap) - i know it's certain HT will do this as an EX after Leia Bespin comes out but this custom cost less than $100 all up. Only thing I still need to do is glue the collar closed (it's just hanging loose in this pic - you won't see the neck at all once glued.)

Still thinking about adding those "hair tassles" on her sideburns like what the Leia Hoth fig has, but this head is only so-so, so not sure I want to go to the trouble.

I really needed this fig to complete my Bespin set-up and glad I got some extra Leia Hoth parts.

sUDHx8t.jpg

Gotta speak my mind: that face is not Carrie's. Eye way too deep. Dead expression, when she was like a hurricane of expressivity (when she was young).

Hope that some HS artist will oblige, one day...
m.

Can't say I agree. Sculpt is phenomenal and easily my top Star Wars Hot Toy. I can't help but see Carrie Fischer every time I look and given her death, the figure holds a place in my heart.

Can't say I agree. Sculpt is phenomenal and easily my top Star Wars Hot Toy. I can't help but see Carrie Fischer every time I look and given her death, the figure holds a place in my heart.

Agreed. While it does suffer a bit from a blank stare, the likeness I think is overall pretty good. Some people are going to drive themselves insane looking for perfection, because it doesn’t exist.

Agreed. While it does suffer a bit from a blank stare, the likeness I think is overall pretty good. Some people are going to drive themselves insane looking for perfection, because it doesn’t exist.

Some people just take what they are given. No questioning whatsoever, ever, just cheering and more cheering, taking comfort in easy and simple conceptions such as "perfection doesn't exist" or "that is impossible", and condemning others who won't follow suit, just because the mere existence of the latter is the harshest possible form of criticism to the former.

Personally, I'd say to those people that I don't know if perfection indeed exists or not, but it sure is worth pursuing, and the first thing you ought do to pursue it is thinking critically and speaking your mind. That will never drive anybody insane, unless they are too stupid to deal with such workloads.

Best,
m.

Some people just take what they are given. No questioning whatsoever, ever, just cheering and more cheering, taking comfort in easy and simple conceptions such as "perfection doesn't exist" or "that is impossible", and condemning others who won't follow suit, just because the mere existence of the latter is the harshest possible form of criticism to the former.

Personally, I'd say to those people that I don't know if perfection indeed exists or not, but it sure is worth pursuing, and the first thing you ought do to pursue it is thinking critically and speak your mind. That will never drive anybody insane, unless they are too stupid to deal with such workloads.

Best,
m.

That’s a pretty verbose response to a simple, general statement.

Anyway, nobody said improvement shouldn’t be strived for, but expecting perfection is going to drive one mad chasing what doesn’t exist. If you finally deem something as being “perfect,” then that means you’re essentially conceding there’s no more room for improvement, and there’s always room for improvement.

Regards,
m.

Personally, I'd say to those people that I don't know if perfection indeed exists or not, but it sure is worth pursuing, and the first thing you ought do to pursue it is thinking critically and speak your mind. That will never drive anybody insane, unless they are too stupid to deal with such workloads.

Best,
m.

No, but some people get angry when a figure doesn’t look like an exact clone of a living being. Like sometimes it just isn’t possible. I’m not saying we shouldn’t keep Hot Toys to a high standard, but nitpicking every tiny thing is annoying sometimes

If this figure had been a home run I would have never considered the Bespin one, but now I'm planning to check out that one. Good price and great looking prototype. Far less important outfit, but it'll still look excellent between ANH and TLJ in a Leia collection. I wanted this to be the one but it didn't happen.

If this figure had been a home run I would have never considered the Bespin one, but now I'm planning to check out that one. Good price and great looking prototype. Far less important outfit, but it'll still look excellent between ANH and TLJ in a Leia collection. I wanted this to be the one but it didn't happen.

Yeah, this figure is far from a home run. Even with the stock dress, I’d probably venture to say I think ANH Leia is probably a better figure (mostly because of the strong sculpt), but the sculpt on this one isn’t bad. Not as strong as ANH, but it’s still good.

I share the same sentiments regarding the Bespin outfit, which is why I personally don’t have an interest in it. The sculpt on it to me also essentially looks like this sculpt, just a different hairstyle. So between the two, I would personally prefer this one being that I consider Leia’s Hoth outfit as being the main outfit that represents her from ESB the best.

However, I do agree that the Bespin outfit would probably look great in between ANH and TLJ Leia, being that it’s an elegant looking outfit that’s more in the vein of TLJ outfit, so they’d complement each other well.

That’s a pretty verbose response to a simple, general statement.

Anyway, nobody said improvement shouldn’t be strived for, but expecting perfection is going to drive one mad chasing what doesn’t exist. If you finally deem something as being “perfect,” then that means you’re essentially conceding there’s no more room for improvement, and there’s always room for improvement.

Regards,
m.

We live in a complex universe. Some simple, general statements deserve pretty verbose responses (and vice versa).
Perfection does exist. In fact, HT could easily deliver it, but I suspect they do not want to.
Let's get this straight: to me, the BIG PROBLEM with HT's headsculpts is that they tend to be so good, that the 15% - 10% that is off gets to be EXTREMELY ANNOYING (at least they are to me). On one hand, this annoys me because of the frustration you feel when you understand that the HS is so extremely awesome, but yet not fully there (sometimes, small differences in otherwise perfect copies are all the more evident). This is only aggravated when you are paying $225+ for the damn fig. On the other hand, frustration becomes irritation when you understand that something that is so realistic and well done, just falls short of being PERFECT AND DEFINITIVE for some silly, specific, very evident mistake that could and should have been fixed easily before entering production (such as a blank expression, eyes too sunk, wrong lips or whatever). These are the kind of mistakes that the so much revered HT artists can fix in a snap of a finger. It is business as usual to a world-class sculptor that gets awesomely paid for their output: fixing a clear, evident, I-can-put-my-finger-on-it kind of problem on a HS. Irritation turns into long-term smoldering wrath when you know that this was the last chance at having a perfect rendition of this particular character that there will be for a very very very long time (e.g. the extremely iconic HT ROTJ Luke, whose slightly monkey-ish HS gets to be even insulting to me after a while, because the above reasons).

So, these are the reasons why I am harsher on HT (and on any $250-per-fig manufacturer) than other guys are.

And here you have this Leia portrait, so lifelike, so accurate (head proportions, nose, hair...), and still not perfect and definitive. "PERFECT AND DEFINITIVE??? That doesn't exist!!!" I here you say: well as I just said, it is evident to me (and I do not need you guys to agree with me on this) that the guy who made that awesome HS could have easily nailed it to 100% accuracy, but somehow they didn't care to do so. Going paranoid: I feel like HT intentionally break their own perfect proto when going into production, so that you will never get to nirvana and hence will always keep looking for it, buying more and more versions of the character along the way. Because if they delivered 100% of what they can actually deliver, they would make the definitive portrait of the character and they somehow sense that would deprive them of future sales (e.g. Bespin Leia, or maybe even Endor Leia), just because people would be completely satisfied with that utterly perfect version (Hoth Leia). Total satisfaction would reduce the drive to purchase newer versions, even if clothes and/or hairdo were different.

No, but some people get angry when a figure doesn’t look like an exact clone of a living being. Like sometimes it just isn’t possible. I’m not saying we shouldn’t keep Hot Toys to a high standard, but nitpicking every tiny thing is annoying sometimes

What I complain about is not tiny. It is glaring. If it was tiny, I wouldn't even notice it.
I complain, don't hate or get "angry".
A 1/6 is meant to always be a clone of a living being. That's why they are so expensive. Not delivering on this contract is a baaad thing.

RfC
m.

We live in a complex universe. Some simple, general statements deserve pretty verbose responses (and vice versa).
Perfection does exist. In fact, HT could easily deliver it, but I suspect they do not want to.
Let's get this straight: to me, the BIG PROBLEM with HT's headsculpts is that they tend to be so good, that the 15% - 10% that is off gets to be EXTREMELY ANNOYING (at least they are to me). On one hand, this annoys me because of the frustration you feel when you understand that the HS is so extremely awesome, but yet not fully there (sometimes, small differences in otherwise perfect copies are all the more evident). This is only aggravated when you are paying $225+ for the damn fig. On the other hand, frustration becomes irritation when you understand that something that is so realistic and well done, just falls short of being PERFECT AND DEFINITIVE for some silly, specific, very evident mistake that could and should have been fixed easily before entering production (such as a blank expression, eyes too sunk, wrong lips or whatever). These are the kind of mistakes that the so much revered HT artists can fix in a snap of a finger. It is business as usual to a world-class sculptor that gets awesomely paid for their output: fixing a clear, evident, I-can-put-my-finger-on-it kind of problem on a HS. Irritation turns into long-term smoldering wrath when you know that this was the last chance at having a perfect rendition of this particular character that there will be for a very very very long time (e.g. the extremely iconic HT ROTJ Luke, whose slightly monkey-ish HS gets to be even insulting to me after a while, because the above reasons).

So, these are the reasons why I am harsher on HT (and on any $250-per-fig manufacturer) than other guys are.

And here you have this Leia portrait, so lifelike, so accurate (head proportions, nose, hair...), and still not perfect and definitive. "PERFECT AND DEFINITIVE??? That doesn't exist!!!" I here you say: well as I just said, it is evident to me (and I do not need you guys to agree with me on this) that the guy who made that awesome HS could have easily nailed it to 100% accuracy, but somehow they didn't care to do so. Going paranoid: I feel like HT intentionally break their own perfect proto when going into production, so that you will never get to nirvana and hence will always keep looking for it, buying more and more versions of the character along the way. Because if they delivered 100% of what they can actually deliver, they would make the definitive portrait of the character and they somehow sense that would deprive them of future sales (e.g. Bespin Leia, or maybe even Endor Leia), just because people would be completely satisfied with that utterly perfect version (Hoth Leia). Total satisfaction would reduce the drive to purchase newer versions, even if clothes and/or hairdo were different.

What I complain about is not tiny. It is glaring. If it was tiny, I wouldn't even notice it.
I complain, don't hate or get "angry".
A 1/6 is meant to always be a clone of a living being. That's why they are so expensive. Not delivering on this contract is a baaad thing.

RfC
m.

As I said, one is going to drive themselves mad, or go paranoid, trying to chase what doesn’t exist.

We live in a complex universe indeed, but I prefer to think of collecting/buying dolls as being one of the more simpler things. You like it, you buy it. You don’t like it, you don’t buy it.

Thanks,
m.

As I said, one is going to drive themselves mad, or go paranoid, trying to chase what doesn’t exist.

We live in a complex universe indeed, but I prefer to think of collecting/buying dolls as being one of the more simpler things. You like it, you buy it. You don’t like it, you don’t buy it.

Thanks,
m.

As I said, some brains just can't deal with certain workloads. To them, cheerleading is the only way.
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding what you don't even see.

You are welcome.
s.

As I said, some brains just can't deal with certain workloads. To them, cheerleading is the only way.
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding what you don't even see.

You are welcome.
s.

Or they’re just pragmatic and aren’t “going paranoid” over dollies.

Regards,
m.

No. Flat out stating (I’m) “going paranoid” would be a better indicator.

OK. I'll keep it in mind for the next time, because I usually pay very little attention to comments coming from paranoid people, especially if self-acknowledged.
I recommend you to do the same btw.
Cheers,
m.

I just did a pretty basic Leia Bespin Escape custom using some Leia Hoth parts (the so-so head is from that knockoff ebay Leia Slave that I managed to get pretty cheap) - i know it's certain HT will do this as an EX after Leia Bespin comes out but this custom cost less than $100 all up. Only thing I still need to do is glue the collar closed (it's just hanging loose in this pic - you won't see the neck at all once glued.)

Still thinking about adding those "hair tassles" on her sideburns like what the Leia Hoth fig has, but this head is only so-so, so not sure I want to go to the trouble.

I really needed this fig to complete my Bespin set-up and glad I got some extra Leia Hoth parts.

sUDHx8t.jpg

I can't believe I missed this. That looks great! Nice work.

OK. I'll keep it in mind for the next time, because I usually pay very little attention to comments coming from paranoid people, especially if self-acknowledged.
I recommend you to do the same btw.
Cheers,
m.

Hmm...

Perfection does exist. "PERFECT AND DEFINITIVE??? That doesn't exist!!!" I here you say: well as I just said, it is evident to me (and I do not need you guys to agree with me on this) that the guy who made that awesome HS could have easily nailed it to 100% accuracy, but somehow they didn't care to do so. Going paranoid: I feel like HT intentionally break their own perfect proto when going into production, so that you will never get to nirvana and hence will always keep looking for it, buying more and more versions of the character along the way.

Back