1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished the film. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great. I'd say 5.5/10. I enjoyed it more than Both Antman films as I can't rewatch the first and barely made it through the second. Slightly better than Dark World and on par with Dr Strange. I could see myself watching it again, just not any time soon.

A few things irritated me or took me out of the movie experience:

- They made the Skrulls too likeable and turned them into a oppressed society. Kind of ruins their future in my eye. Can damn near count out any future Secret Invasion adaptation. The comic skrulls were straight up villians and the kree not much better.
- Horrible music cues. The No Doubt cue was just cringe worthy and I feel Kurt Cobain's spirit is none too happy right now.
- After someone mentioned Bree's awkward running, it just jumped out at me when watching. Could they not have put her through a training regiment? When I ran track and cross country, my coach basically retrained all of us on the proper way to run ie stride and body movement. Bree looked like she'd never run before in her life.
- Bree really does deliver lines awkwardly with a mix of odd and no inflection. Perhaps it was the script or perhaps she just wasn't the best choice. But she also had weird delivery in Scott Pilgrim too, so it could just be her.
- I hate the Mar-Vell casting and re-gendering. Having grown up reading Silver and Bronze age comics, Mar-vell was a huge part of the Marvel cosmic universe of the late 60s and early/mid 70s. I'd have preferred someone like Bill Pullman or Jeff Daniels to play the older/wiser Mar-vell.

As far as the rest, I didn't feel too much of a drag until over an hour in and then it picked back up again pretty quickly. I also didn't see or feel anything overtly or in your face SJW like. No spoilers, but they did show quite a bit of failure in her past that she had to overcome to drive her present.

That's a testament of the Russo bros! They made me like CM more in the 5 second trailer clip between her and Thor than her entire appearance in her OWN movie! :lol

:clap to the Russos!

They made me rewatch Dr Strange because of how they handled him in IW. Made me appreciate the character more and I've rewatched it a few times since when upon first viewing I never wanted to see it ever again. Perhaps they can work magic with CM and especially with Bree's portrayal.

They made me rewatch Dr Strange because of how they handled him in IW. Made me appreciate the character more and I've rewatched it a few times since when upon first viewing I never wanted to see it ever again. Perhaps they can work magic with CM and especially with Bree's portrayal.

Should be pretty easy as they can drop the whole no emotion/memory thing and it's been years so she will be more herself in Endgame.

Just finished the film. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great. I'd say 5.5/10. I enjoyed it more than Both Antman films as I can't rewatch the first and barely made it through the second. Slightly better than Dark World and on par with Dr Strange. I could see myself watching it again, just not any time soon.

- They made the Skrulls too likeable and turned them into a oppressed society. Kind of ruins their future in my eye. Can damn near count out any future Secret Invasion adaptation. The comic skrulls were straight up villians and the kree not much better.
- Horrible music cues. The No Doubt cue was just cringe worthy and I feel Kurt Cobain's spirit is none too happy right now.
- After someone mentioned Bree's awkward running, it just jumped out at me when watching. Could they not have put her through a training regiment? When I ran track and cross country, my coach basically retrained all of us on the proper way to run ie stride and body movement. Bree looked like she'd never run before in her life.
- Bree really does deliver lines awkwardly with a mix of odd and no inflection. Perhaps it was the script or perhaps she just wasn't the best choice. But she also had weird delivery in Scott Pilgrim too, so it could just be her.
- I hate the Mar-Vell casting and re-gendering. Having grown up reading Silver and Bronze age comics, Mar-vell was a huge part of the Marvel cosmic universe of the late 60s and early/mid 70s. I'd have preferred someone like Bill Pullman or Jeff Daniels to play the older/wiser Mar-vell.

As far as the rest, I didn't feel too much of a drag until over an hour in and then it picked back up again pretty quickly. I also didn't see or feel anything overtly or in your face SJW like. No spoilers, but they did show quite a bit of failure in her past that she had to overcome to drive her present.

Agree with most of your points. I've been trying to pinpoint what her acting reminded me of... and the closest I can come up with is DJ Tanner on Full House.
Like the "Hm, I think she went that way" line....ouch. Every wisecrack just felt so clunky and unnatural.

Also,
Spoiler Spoiler:

And another thing that bothered me about the music choices. I get that Marvel had to hit the 90s Nostalgia buttons, and they probably also thought that using No Doubt for that scene was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink when it ended up feeling more like a punch in the face....but here is the main problem;

Hole. No Doubt. Garbage.
If you were a teen in the 90's (like me), you will clearly remember the wave of hope we felt back then. The world was going to change. There was a massive push for equality. In music, Alternative Rock Goddesses were holding their own among the Gods. It seemed like everything was going to be great from here on out.

And 20 years later, I'm sitting in that theatre, and it dawns on me that we're going through this **** AGAIN, but more painfully, because the internet exists, and we can't live in a blissful bubble anymore where we can't hear all the stupid out there.

There is no Courtney Love or Shirley Manson protege to give us hope this time.
All we have are Kardashian asses.

90's Nostalgia + "I'm Just A Girl" nod towards feminism + 30-plus year old viewer = Crippling Depression

I'm not sure it was her delivery so much as the dull, unfunny lines she was given. This is one time when I think a heavy dose of Joss Whedon-style humor would have been good.

So I went to a book signing today for the captain marvel art book. I chatted with the artists very quickly and we were talking HTs. They didn’t tell me much and I didn’t ask out of politeness but this line is not done for HT

They made the Skrulls too likeable and turned them into a oppressed society. Kind of ruins their future in my eye. Can damn near count out any future Secret Invasion adaptation. The comic skrulls were straight up villians and the kree not much better.
the skrulls have been all over the board in the comics but have been refugees since the X-men (i believe) got their planet destroyed in the comics so i had no problem with that. just like the kree started off "good"in the film they can make the Skrulls villains again if needed later on.

Spoiler Spoiler:

So I went to a book signing today for the captain marvel art book. I chatted with the artists very quickly and we were talking HTs. They didn’t tell me much and I didn’t ask out of politeness but this line is not done for HT

Do you remember their exact words or can you paraphrase them for us please?

Totally my thoughts as well. Good just not amazing or great.

That's funny you mention the running style. I also noticed that a couple of times and thought WTF ? She can't run......Wierd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we're nit picking her running now haha bree is extremely fit and worked out a great deal for this role, I'm sure she can run faster and further than most of us

So we're nit picking her running now haha bree is extremely fit and worked out a great deal for this role, I'm sure she can run faster and further than most of us

:lecture And don't forget that she can push a four wheel drive too.

Not to mention have any of you actually tried running in a full leather and rubber body suit? With awkward boot covers/leg armor too? It is not easy, let alone easy to run *attractively*, not that running in an attractive fashion should be something we judge people on??

I don't know I don't like a character. I'd rather preorder Alita or Asmus DMCV Nero. That game is awesome.

:lecture And don't forget that she can push a four wheel drive too.

Not to mention have any of you actually tried running in a full leather and rubber body suit? With awkward boot covers/leg armor too? It is not easy, let alone easy to run *attractively*, not that running in an attractive fashion should be something we judge people on??
That is not the point. The director should have caught that awkward looking running visual and done numerous takes with different weighing suits or just had her stunt double run and cgi her head....whatever, but not that retarded looking run. Lol

Seriously, I cringed at seeing her run. It reminded me of seeing a girl I liked in 8th grade run during P.E. I still liked her, sure, but now only because she was pretty. It just made it impossible to take her seriously.

The divisiveness of this movie between fans is legitimately hilarious to me. The best part is that any and all who dislike it for any reason is a sexist troll. The whole situation is a complete sheit-show from all angles.

Last edited:
Back