1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not expecting this to be a Black Panter or Avengers-sized hit, but it'll likely do better than an Ant-Man or Doctor Strange since there's much more pent-up interest out there than we usually see for these movies.

I’m thinking it might tap out somewhere around $800 to $900 million. Though I must admit I was totally surprised that Aquaman made more than $800 million, let alone the current $1.143 billion. Though I do believe that Captain Marvel will probably make about $400 million domestically versus Aquaman’s current $334 million, because as much as everyone is celebrating how much Aquaman has made worldwide; less than 30% of its worldwide takings are from the North American market, which is on the low end of most comic based films.

Though as I mentioned that while I think Captain Marvel was a better structured movie, Aquaman was far more exciting imo, and as such was made for repeat viewings, whereas Captain Marvel just doesn’t have that factor.

I think it definitely requires a second viewing. Seen it twice now, loved it the first time but I liked it even more the second. I can see why some people have problems with it, but those problems imo disappear or aren’t as bad the second time, and not to go there but it being female led also has something to do with it. Excited for this to come out!

I think it definitely requires a second viewing. Seen it twice now, loved it the first time but I liked it even more the second. I can see why some people have problems with it, but those problems imo disappear or aren’t as bad the second time, and not to go there but it being female led also has something to do with it. Excited for this to come out!

I may watch Captain Marvel a 2nd time in theatres, I’m not sure, but I did watch Aquaman again in the theatres and I guess i was prepared for whatever issues I had the first time, that I did enjoy it more the second time around.

But honestly I didn’t really have any real narrative or structure issues with Captain Marvel, so I’m not sure a repeat viewing will improve my opinion on it, which wasn’t all that bad anyway as I didn’t have any distinct issues with anything, like I did with Aquaman for example.

I would rate Captain Marvel a solid 7 out of 10. It’s not a 6, but imo it doesn’t deserve an 8 either.

53389232_627408457686770_7757073208477483008_n.jpg
53478463_627408591020090_4262980200645525504_n.jpg
53623355_627408477686768_5252692235039801344_n.jpg
53877496_627408547686761_8381463661205520384_n.jpg
54255442_627408577686758_7043863016751759360_n.jpg

For you guys who don't have Facebook Brie went out and had some fun with fans.

Okay, I went and took a gander this evening to see what all the fuss was about.

To preface, I really couldn't give two ****s about the over politicalization of this film, and quite frankly, I really think that has influenced a LOT of the opinions I've read over, notably here. I'm pretty middle of the road in that regard so I'm not going to get myself riled up over something being more left or right. So if that's the sort of thing you choose to let severely drive your input and interpretation of film, then I may have just lost your attention here. With that, it's clear to me that whatever agenda that is being presented or perceived by whichever side has been magnified by 10 fold now that I've seen the film.

Furthermore, my favorite MCU films are TWS and Ragnarok, for reference.

I would rank it right alongside with the phase 1 and "starter" films (Iron Man notwithstanding). It is not a Thor Ragnarok or a Winter Soldier by any stretch, but it feels right at home alone with Thor, The First Avenger, and Spiderman Homecoming. Had this movie came out 5 years ago, I think it would have had a much different response. All of these films share the same thing, the first time their respective cast stepped into the shoes of that character, and since then they have only improved. In those films there are things that work, and things that aren't perfect.

That tangents straight into Larson's performance, which I honestly think was just fine. I had no qualms with it. There's a lot of hate on the stiffness, but I feel like those who are doubling down on that aspect have never been around truly deadpan people. I think that's what they we're aiming for with Carol's attitude. And again, Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson, and the like all have had time to grow into their roles. Their first outings all were not that of where we have them now.

I really liked world building the film explored. In fact, the first half of the movie was really exciting where the latter tails off to a more invested and 'curious where it goes' carrot to dangle.

The Skrull prosthetics were awesome. I can't stress that enough and I really want a Talks figure now. I'm so happy to have seen some nice, practical sfx being used like that. Fury, Coulson, and a certain little friend all had very good vfx. Fury in particular I think sets a standard for future franchises to achieve.

Samuel L. Jackson is 110% the **** as always. Loved all of his screentime.

I want two more of these movies before Endgame. That's the issue I have. I feel I can become invested in Carol as I have with other characters, but I need more time before I get excited for her showing up in Endgame. This movie should have come out 3 years ago, in other words.

They call her the most powerful character but I think that's going to be as variable and retconnable as every character's power level. Everything we've seen her do was something Thor could have, or honestly even Iron Man. If anything, that tagline is a whopping amount of buzzword. I highly doubt she'll deliver the final blow to Thanos, and I highly doubt she'll usurp anyone's perceived power going into Endgame. She'll just be a tank character like Thor.

This tries to be Marvel's Wonder Woman and I think from a stand alone character, DC honestly wins in that comparison; I like Diana better. But I do think their amount of character development ultimately is about the same. But what Captain Marvel does do is continue a trend of at the worst good, at the best fantastic films that have an air of quality and enjoyment through them. Wonder Woman falls apart in it's third act, while Captain Marvel hangs pretty consistent once it levels out from it's excellent opening. In some ways, the character progression reminds me a bit of Alita.

Tl;Dr: I enjoyed it, think the politics around it have been exacerbated, had fun with what it had to offer, and don't think it'll spoil your Marvel palate if you've been invested this long. I wish I had more time with the character before Endgame. Probably a 6.5, 7 when I'm feeling generous. Go see Captain Marvel, have fun. Go see Alita and have fun too. Be excellent to everyone. Let movies be movies.

Some spoiler ramblings:

Spoiler Spoiler:

:goodpost: I agree with everything you said.

At least one more movie would have been great
Spoiler Spoiler:

I am looking forward to the next CM as she will be established and all the made up nonsense with Brie will be dead and forgotten about and we can just enjoy having these fun films on the big screen

Also

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Well, definitely ordering this! I really enjoyed the movie. Larson was great. I had no idea what to expect from her from the trailers, but she did a great job and had amazing chemistry with Samuel Jackson.

Although not a slam-dunk first movie like Guardians or Black Panther, I thought it was stronger than Thor and Ant-Man. Maybe more in Doctor Strange territory. A good start. The feeling the best is yet to come. I also enjoyed that their were some genuine surprises to be had.

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

And I’m thinking there must have been quite a few people in the audience, going why the hell are people applauding already.

I hate it when people clap at the theater or yell out things. Its not like the screen can hear you, its just disruptive to the rest of the audience. This happens way too often at our local theater

I hate it when people clap at the theater or yell out things. Its not like the screen can hear you, its just disruptive to the rest of the audience. This happens way too often at our local theater

I think this one part deserved it. I'm not saying anymore as i don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Whatever you do, don't make a joke saying you'd give Capt Marvel a go... got banned from Justin's Collectable Group on Facebook for it. :rotfl

Do you live in America? That would never happen in my cinema, it's not really a British thing lol

Honestly I’m not seeing much difference, other than more gold on the shoulders?

Hair and makeup are different in a good way IMO, I also hope the suit is more form fitting from an aesthetic perspective :wink1:

Whatever you do, don't make a joke saying you'd give Capt Marvel a go... got banned from Justin's Collectable Group on Facebook for it. :rotfl

Why would that be worthy of a ban? Extremely restrictive group if that is true. Not a good look.

Do you live in America? That would never happen in my cinema, it's not really a British thing lol

Hair and makeup are different in a good way IMO, I also hope the suit is more form fitting from an aesthetic perspective :wink1:

I guess they we’re going for a more realistic look rather than just aesthetics with regards to how form fitting the CM Kree costume was. They all can’t be Black Widow, who is known to have all kinds of skills as a spy.

Why would that be worthy of a ban? Extremely restrictive group if that is true. Not a good look.

If I’m getting the reference, I’m guessing his group may have a zero tolerance policy to certain type of comments.

Was the comment said in these exact words as you stated here? If so, then that is extremely ridiculous as that is a very tame statement.

I do see they made a post in the group about the ban. I’m guessing that it is about you :lol

Honestly I’m not seeing much difference, other than more gold on the shoulders?

The star is vastly different. Its bigger and its not raised like the first one. Nor does it have those lines in it. The center and side gold lines are also thicker. And it may be the lighting but the blue seems to be darker. And of course the shoulders like you mentioned.

I would love a movie theater that has headphone inputs in the seat so I could listen to my headphones instead of the theater speakers. That way I don't have to listen to the idiots in the theatre laughing, talking or applauding.

Back