Hot Toys – MMS178 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Black Widow Limited Edition Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
428483_10150870536812344_967473231_n.jpg

Nice looking figure otherwise, but even in these beauty-shots straight from the manufacturer, this hair is already a hot mess. I can't imagine what it will be like straight out of the box.

So glad Thor and Loki have sculpted hair.... sculpted hair has its problems, but an overdose of styling gel isn't one of them.

428483_10150870536812344_967473231_n.jpg

Nice looking figure otherwise, but even in these beauty-shots straight from the manufacturer, this hair is already a hot mess. I can't imagine what it will be like straight out of the box.

So glad Thor and Loki have sculpted hair.... sculpted hair has its problems, but an overdose of styling gel isn't one of them.

Man am I glad I passed on the first BW! This looks great.

Not a huge fan of rooted hair, but what ever, this is killer. (Tho the final paint is NEVER as good as Hot Toys official pictures, but even if it's 80% I'm in)

:wave

not sure if it's been said or not, but for those thinking that she's a bit skinny (I think she is too but no biggie) did anyone think that maybe it's b/c they're probably going to use this same body for Catwoman/Anne Hathaway who, to me, looks skinnier than ScarJo

As for the price. I honestly don't mind so much. yea it sucks that prices have gone up but to me, this looks like the most realisitc of the Avengers Figures especially these pics (to me anyways) and that up in quality/realism makes the price just fine with me

392535_10150870590587344_1630566462_n.jpg

Hot%20Toys%20-%20The%20Avengers%20-%20Black%20Widow%20Limited%20Edition%20Collectible%20Figurine_PR15.jpg

Hot-Toys-The-Avengers-Black-Widow-Limited-Edition-Collectible-Figurine_PR13.jpg

PS: there are quite a few official pics missing from the first post

some missing close ups:
hottoysblackwidow10.jpg

hottoysblackwidow11.jpg

hottoysblackwidow12.jpg

not sure if it's been said or not, but for those thinking that she's a bit skinny (I think she is too but no biggie) did anyone think that maybe it's b/c they're probably going to use this same body for Catwoman/Anne Hathaway who, to me, looks skinnier than ScarJo

As for the price. I honestly don't mind so much. yea it sucks that prices have gone up but to me, this looks like the most realisitc of the Avengers Figures especially these pics (to me anyways) and that up in quality/realism makes the price just fine with me

392535_10150870590587344_1630566462_n.jpg

Hot%20Toys%20-%20The%20Avengers%20-%20Black%20Widow%20Limited%20Edition%20Collectible%20Figurine_PR15.jpg

Hot-Toys-The-Avengers-Black-Widow-Limited-Edition-Collectible-Figurine_PR13.jpg

PS: there are quite a few official pics missing from the first post

some missing close ups:
hottoysblackwidow10.jpg

hottoysblackwidow11.jpg

hottoysblackwidow12.jpg

Too bad that it will NEVER look that good in hand.

Ok, so i hate to say this, but perhaps it's time we look into getting a sculptor to make a custom sculpted "wig" for widow?

Exactly what I was just talking about in the SM thread. It doesn't matter what your seeing here, the final figure ain't gonna look that good.

Regardless of if it looks passable now, it surely won't after sitting in packaging for weeks, its styling product, no differant then when you put gel in your hair and goto sleep, when you wake up 8 hours later the part of your hair that was on the pillow is matted and messed up. They wrap the heads in that little piece of clear plastic that mattes the hair against the sculpt, so your getting hair product mashed and melted into a hand painted head and have to redo the hair anyway.

Get a $200 custom head paint from Silent Surfer and rub hair gel all over it. Sound insane? Same situation exactly.

Nah, her hair can be just fine if you can work it. I didn't have to use any product, just finger futzing.

IMG_3240.jpg

Of course the hair isn't going to be perfect out of the box, that's expected. But I'm willing to spend some time to get it right... this new one won't be tough since her hair is short.

And please fix the shoulders and meat up the torso HT! Look how much better the old body looked in that regard:

IMG_3244.jpg

Last edited:
Man am I glad I passed on the first BW! This looks great.

Not a huge fan of rooted hair, but what ever, this is killer. (Tho the final paint is NEVER as good as Hot Toys official pictures, but even if it's 80% I'm in)

I can live with deviations from the manufacturer's beauty-shots, unless they're really really bad.

As someone who owns a multiplicity of various types of dolls, I just know how heavily-gooped doll-hair can be. If its not heavily gooped, its all over the place. If it is heavily gooped, it often looks almost nothing like real hair. Styling is usually possible, but to be done well it takes a little styling know-how - and that's what I am wondering if the average HT collector has.

One tip I can pass on: to style doll hair, DON'T use hair conditioner for people after you wash it. Use a liquid fabric softener like Downy.

But I don't have a horse in this particular race anyhoo, so its all good. :snake

Ok, so i hate to say this, but perhaps it's time we look into getting a sculptor to make a custom sculpted "wig" for widow?

Not a huge fan of rooted hair

I was really dissapointed that the hair was not sculpted, especially since its short hair.

Sculpt is perfect, hair will come total ____ after being packaged and taped and transported.

HT said this would have sculpted hair, I was excited, now that it doesn't it's an easy pass.

q6E9V.gif

if you take the time to fix/style it will. And since this one is shorter, that should me ake it easier to fix/style.

Babydoll's hair looks pretty much exact to the proto on a majority of the one's I've seen :dunno

and even with BD's hair looking pretty good already, one member added a water-based product to it make it look even better. it's all in the eye of the boholder I guess just like most things in the hobby

:goodpost: Exactly. Get what you pay for, etc. The improvement in the headsculpt alone makes it okay for me.

I know this is obvious, but BW Boobages are much smaller with the Avengers version:gah:, damn you waif like actresses, always fretting about your weight:mad:

(I'm still getting this tho')

197760_10150870600662344_675326348_n.jpg

600221_10150870536922344_381184825_n.jpg

28290110150870589332344.jpg

Nice Naomi Watts sculpt. :D

Seriously, though (not that I don't think she looks more like Watts up there), had I been shown this pic out of context...

hot20toys2020the20aveng.jpg

...I really don¡t think I would have ever recognized that as Scarlet Johansson. Those eyes look nothing like her, imo.

Appalling and unflattering as this pic below is...

1008503.jpg

... she has MUCH more of ScarJo to it, imo.

It just goes to show how people's perceptions can vary, but I honestly think many here are just blinded by how good and beautiful she looks as an overall generic female.

/Braces for 'haters gonna hate' flood.

i'll just get the missus to keep BW's hair looking good, or get if someone does a custom head with sculpted hair get that.

All i need now to have a perfect Avengers team is a Downey Jnr HS with the MK7 and a second Hulk HS with roaring open mouth.

I was soooo looking forward to this figure, I passed on the first because of the rooted hair and this one was supose to have sculpted hair...now..well not sure, she will at best go to the bottom of my list.

It just goes to show how people's perceptions can vary, but I honestly think many here are just blinded by how good and beautiful she looks as an overall generic female.

/Braces for 'haters gonna hate' flood.

Ignore him Yulli... your work is awesome!!! But ya, everyone's perception of figures is skewed by how their brain recognizes faces. For me it's a lot more centered around a person's eyes, nose, and hair. Others are far more centered around skull shape, jaw line, etc. I thought Nick Fury looked dead until I kept reading about how others thought his skull was shaped wrong. :dunno

Suit looks great. Definitely not a perfect sculpt but really nice nonetheless.

I can see where the comments about her looking thin are coming from. Overall I think she looks much better than IM2 Widow and will look awesome with the rest of the gang.

Back