Horizontal detolfs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks cool, another Freak did this with an HT Iron Man set up that looked fantastic.

That being said, having 2 of these stacked horizontally with zero support for very heavy tempered glass is a monstrous risk. Good luck.

I'm inclined to agree that this is risky. Even if you don't see bend, the pressure on the bottom panel of glass is far greater than the other three. Upright, the pressure is divided between three sheets of glass equally. I wouldn't want to risk it considering how much is invested in what goes in it but it's your money so...yea, ur call. I hope for your sake nothing happens.

I like it. I bet it will be fine. This glass is a lot stronger then ppl realize and it's sitting on the wood anyway.

I put so much weight on my detolf shelves and I've never had an issue.

here is the pic you requested.

It's really neat how you place it and the figures look great there. Very classy especially with the bluray copies.
But as a lot of people have mentioned, it's definitely risky over time with the tension and stress of the lower one.

Stay frosty and alert my friend.

thanks guys for the compliments!! like I said I am open to suggestions to making this set up safer. I am being careful with it and I check it every day anyways so if I see a sign of weakness or cracking I will take it down .

Ive looked and researched and found nothing. Someone also mentioned there was a guy that did this before but his thread couldn't be found. If you have any idea on how he made it im all ears. I am confident this glass will hold as I accidentally dropped it against the desk when I was setting up my first detolf, and I thought it would snap in half but nothing happened.. Also I had the first one horizontal for 6 months with about 10 figures on top and the glass didn't bend much. at first I was worried but not anymore. Like I said if the glass hasn't bent at all in 3 days it shouldn't at all, but ill keep measuring the gaps for a few more days.
Looks cool, another Freak did this with an HT Iron Man set up that looked fantastic.

That being said, having 2 of these stacked horizontally with zero support for very heavy tempered glass is a monstrous risk. Good luck.
I was going to mention that that other poster's set-up is only partially relevant as he didn't stack them but put one behind the other to get a deep display capable of enclosing Tony Stark and the Hall of Armour (basically he removed the door from the back case and the back plane of glass from the front to make one big case). Even so, he used rubber pucks of some description (I believe just rolls of electrical tape) between whatever platform he was using and the bottom pane of glass so that they had regular support down the entire length.

thanks guys for the compliments!! like I said I am open to suggestions to making this set up safer. I am being careful with it and I check it every day anyways so if I see a sign of weakness or cracking I will take it down .
My worry would be that you won't get any warning and instead it'll just shatter. Took a look at IKEA's site and confirmed it's safety glass, though, so at least you shouldn't have to worry about getting sliced if you are nearby. Btw, ima, do you have anything connecting the wood ends together so that they can't slip off one another? That would be another concern for me. I'd want them held together, somehow. As others have said, though, good luck and I hope you don't experience any problems.

Tempered glass is quite strong and a good solution for spans where regular glass would fail. You just want to make sure that there is adequate support across the span. On its side, most of the weight of the shelf and its contents will be on the slots in the particle board ends - this would cause deflection which is the primary point of failure. The deflection is somewhat stabilized by the plastic rail that links the back to the bottom and top (formerly the sides) but this isn't terribly strong because it was never designed for this purpose and isn't itself fastened to anything along its length. I would reinforce this area for long-term use.

Here are a few things you can do:

Under the bottom of the lower unit you should put a piece of wood along the back directly under the plastic rail, of the exact thickness as the height between the rail and the table top under it. Then you can put one or more sheets of rigid foam (like styrofoam) of a thickness equal to the non-deflected height of the bottom of the glass to the top of the table. That will all but guarantee no issues on that shelf - put your heavier items here.

Next, put a piece of wood similar to the one you just used in the last step between the two shelves running their entire length along the back edge between the two plastic supports of each cabinet. Measure carefully for thickness. You don't want to deflect the glass in either direction as long term deflection can give way to sudden catastrophe. Of course short-term/instant deflection can also lead to immediate catastrophe. :) The result of this will be increasing the support of the bottom of the upper cabinet by increasing the strength and rigidity of the support mechanism at the back. This will lead to less propensity to sag which will make for a much happier piece of glass. The weight is being transferred from the shelf to the wood, to the back panel of the bottom shelf, to the wood under that and then to the desk. It is no longer being supported only by the back rail.

Last note: you can find calculators online for safe span distances for tempered glass, you might consult those for additional info.

Wow! Looks nice. Can someone answer me another question? How many weight can i put on the top of the detolf? I have tried a massive statue with a weight of 17 kilo .. but i put it down first. Is this a problem for the detolf sides? Have anyone experiences with putting a statue of the top? Im not sure if it broke after a while instead of climatic changing etc. Thanks in advance.

here is the pic you requested.

Very nice display, very interesting and inspirating. I've a small room, this can be THE solution for adding more pieces. Thanks !

(I talk about the angle desk, not necessarily the detolfs :p)

Great collection anyway !

Wow! Looks nice. Can someone answer me another question? How many weight can i put on the top of the detolf? I have tried a massive statue with a weight of 17 kilo ..

On a typical Detolf set up as per IKEA's instructions, UPRIGHT, I think you will be fine with such a statue on top. The main reason I wouldn't set up such a display however is because it won't showcase the items on the bottom shelf of the Detolf very well. My suggestion is to raise the Detolf off the ground by placing it on top of another cabinet so that its top shelf is up quite high. For your statue place it on top of a different cabinet at a better viewing height.

Back