Help!! Purchased a sealed Iron Man Mark 42 on Ebay, File Claim or Just Accept it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingZacharyV

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I purchased, what was listed as a New in Sealed brown shipper box, Mark 42 figure on Ebay. The final bid was 270.00
When i received the item there's no signs that the item was ever opened. However there are a few scratches on the Armor. Should i request a refund or accept that I paid a good price for a figure with a slight scratch?
Also if anyone would have any ideas on repairing the scratch they would be greatly appreciated

ySRzr

https://imgur.com/a/ySRzr

I purchased, what was listed as a New in Sealed brown shipper box, Mark 42 figure on Ebay. The final bid was 270.00
When i received the item there's no signs that the item was ever opened. However there are a few scratches on the Armor. Should i request a refund or accept that I paid a good price for a figure with a slight scratch?
Also if anyone would have any ideas on repairing the scratch they would be greatly appreciated

ySRzr

They do look very minor, and most of the IM armors come with mild weathering. If you can live with it, keep it. I personally don't mind mild weathering.

Well, you really can't blame the guy or claim it as his fault if the product has scratches on it, under the circumstances that it was mint and unopened before, seeing as he could have had no idea. Well. I mean you CAN, because eBay is willing to screw over sellers on a whim, but I would say that's morally questionable as a buyer, if not even downright wrong. Now if it had been opened and you had not been notified to these errors, then yes, that would be more than acceptable. He knew as much as you did, given the figure was apparently BNIB.

So, can you? Yes. Should you? I would say no. Flip the roles - if you were the unknowing seller, and someone opens your sealed figure, do you really feel you should be liable? I would say no. But that's my perspective.

I see the scratches and yes, it's something I would have contacted SS back when it came out. But SS is a big company, this guy is a single seller (I assume). But you scored this for a good price no matter how you cut it, I would let it slide based on that.

ySRzr

just insist on a refund, seller has to give you full refund including postage and seller have to either bear the return shipping (make sure you select DHL/Fedex/UPS), or provide you a full refund and you can keep the item.

it is totally up to you as a buyer to dictate the outcome.

also you can always put few pieces of potato in the box instead of the ironman you just need to make sure the weigh tallies with the ironman.

It looks like a quality control issue. Same thing happened to me when I received my mk 42. It had a minor scratch on the back.

I would keep the figure. It's very minor and the price is great. If it was SS, I might have complained. In your case, I don't think I would, though.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

just insist on a refund, seller has to give you full refund including postage and seller have to either bear the return shipping (make sure you select DHL/Fedex/UPS), or provide you a full refund and you can keep the item.

also you can always put few pieces of potato in the box instead of the ironman you just need to make sure the weigh tallies with the ironman.

It's because of people like you I wouldn't sell on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see their at moral people in the world. I'd also keep it or just resell in and make money back. I wouldn't mind that scratch at all. That poor seller.....

...hope you're kidding.
I'd say keep it!

I don't even see the scratches. I guess I'm just not as uptight about that kind of stuff. If you can't live with minor scuffs and scratches, you should never open ANY toy or statue.

Seller did nothing wrong. He sold you a sealed piece at a good price. It would be downright rotten to blame him or give him negative feedback.

Wanting to send back to the seller something that was brand new, because of nitpicky flaws from the factory is absurd...what is your eBay handle BTW?

"Wanting to send back to the seller something that was brand new, because of nitpicky flaws from the factory is absurd...what is your eBay handle BTW?"

I got the figure at a good price and I would prefer to keep it and not have to rebuy another one. I'm new to collecting Hot Toys, I'm not trying to screw anyone over, I just wasn't sure if he could get his money back from SS but I'm sure it's past the warranty. Thanks for your unnecessary negative response.

Last edited:
Well, you really can't blame the guy or claim it as his fault if the product has scratches on it, under the circumstances that it was mint and unopened before, seeing as he could have had no idea. Well. I mean you CAN, because eBay is willing to screw over sellers on a whim, but I would say that's morally questionable as a buyer, if not even downright wrong. Now if it had been opened and you had not been notified to these errors, then yes, that would be more than acceptable. He knew as much as you did, given the figure was apparently BNIB.

So, can you? Yes. Should you? I would say no. Flip the roles - if you were the unknowing seller, and someone opens your sealed figure, do you really feel you should be liable? I would say no. But that's my perspective.

I see the scratches and yes, it's something I would have contacted SS back when it came out. But SS is a big company, this guy is a single seller (I assume). But you scored this for a good price no matter how you cut it, I would let it slide based on that.

Thanks man. Yeah I'd prefer to keep it so I don't have to go through the trouble of finding another one. I mainly wanted opinions on the seriousness of the flaw.

i agree w/ everyone on here... (except for the one retarded post)...

buying from sideshow / retail outlet and buying from a person on ebay is 2 completely different worlds and should be treated as such.

a retail purchase gives you the option of no questions asked returns and the ability to be ridiculously nit picky (as in this instance). they have means for returns to the manufacturer and discounts on shipping and all that jazz...

the normal guy on ebay who is legit selling and in the same scenario gets screwed big time because there is always something you can find wrong when you pull out your magnifying glass or take pics 2 inches from surfaces. someone who sells you a new unopened item has no idea of the microscopic scuffs. and shouldn't be stuck paying to ship the now "opened" item back. not to mention the scum bags who swap out their scuffed figure for the clean brand new one and claim it was like that when they opened the box. way too easy for jerkoffs to scam people on ebay buying and swapping and then file a claim.

so i think you got your answer from everyone's (minus 1 rotten egg) reply. the seller sold you an item unopened and new in the box. you got what you ordered. it's yours now.

buying from sideshow / retail outlet and buying from a person on ebay is 2 completely different worlds and should be treated as such.

a retail purchase gives you the option of no questions asked returns and the ability to be ridiculously nit picky (as in this instance). they have means for returns to the manufacturer and discounts on shipping and all that jazz...

the normal guy on ebay who is legit selling and in the same scenario gets screwed big time because there is always something you can find wrong when you pull out your magnifying glass or take pics 2 inches from surfaces. someone who sells you a new unopened item has no idea of the microscopic scuffs. and shouldn't be stuck paying to ship the now "opened" item back. not to mention the scum bags who swap out their scuffed figure for the clean brand new one and claim it was like that when they opened the box. way too easy for jerkoffs to scam people on ebay buying and swapping and then file a claim.

so i think you got your answer from everyone's (minus 1 rotten egg) reply. the seller sold you an item unopened and new in the box. you got what you ordered. it's yours now.

I've had this happen twice and I literally wanted to crawl through the screen and choke the buyer. Bay sided with them of course

I've had this happen twice and I literally wanted to crawl through the screen and choke the buyer. Bay sided with them of course

yeah i know what you mean... i sell a bunch of small custom transformer parts. i ship them in these small cosmetic plastic round containers w/ a screw on lid. you can stand on them and they won't break! i get b.s. claims once in a while..."item broken in shipping" and they want a new set. more like you broke them by being a dumazz and installing them wrong and busted them pulling them out! but of course, according to evil bay its always my fault!

let it go man, its not the seller fault here...if it was it be a diff. story but its not.

I completely agree with you. I might message him and see if he can just sell me some more figures at a slight discount. Now that's a win/win situation.

The marks are inconsequential and frankly you could easily have got them while removing him from the packaging, also they may be intentional anyway as Hot Toys often adds "slight wear" to their armored figures to prevent just such complaints.

If I were you I'd keep the figure and for your own sake in the future maybe lower your standards a bit else your going to be disappointed with a lot of figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back