HCG Ghostbusters Lifesize Slimer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it has to be hollow hopefully they can add a back to the mouth to hide the stand, I'm really excited about this guy only time will tell! My first life size collectible as well as HCG

Just here to chime in about HCG's quality.

Their sculpts are very, very good most of the time. What usually kills the "statue" is the paint app. On the statues, the paint app is typically flat, and there's very little blending in so everything looks rigid or stiff.

That being said, their busts seems to be in a whole 'nother ballpark, whether it's a different factory or what, I cannot say for sure. From what I have seen, they excel in busts.

Here's a photo of statues I got from HCG:

Spoiler Spoiler:

This guys been floating around for a while. Bad pun intended. Steve Johnson, who created and sculpted Slimer for the film had this made for his shop a little over a year ago, with help from Tom Spina Designs. Here's the catch, this is a newer sculpt that Steve had artist Andy Schoenberg make and isn't remotely from the films molds. I've come upon most of this information while researching and sculpting my own sixth scale slimer. While the face is wonderfully close to the original that's where the similarities end.

The biggest giveaways are in the back and sides of this version. Not only is it missing the crack but much of the spine and back detail. There's also very distinct flaps of skin that hang over the originals arms. I could go on but I'd rather post some pictures instead. I apologize for some of these being pixelated.

Steve while working on the original sculpt:

slimer1.jpg

The suit on set:

slimer3.jpg

The HCG piece is undoubtedly a work of art. It's just not an original.

This guys been floating around for a while. Bad pun intended. Steve Johnson, who created and sculpted Slimer for the film had this made for his shop a little over a year ago, with help from Tom Spina Designs. Here's the catch, this is a newer sculpt that Steve had artist Andy Schoenberg make and isn't remotely from the films molds. I've come upon most of this information while researching and sculpting my own sixth scale slimer. While the face is wonderfully close to the original that's where the similarities end.

The biggest giveaways are in the back and sides of this version. Not only is it missing the crack but much of the spine and back detail. There's also very distinct flaps of skin that hang over the originals arms. I could go on but I'd rather post some pictures instead. I apologize for some of these being pixelated.

View attachment 258219

The suit on set:

View attachment 258218

Interesting...I wonder what HCG and Neca original molds are they claiming in using for theirs???? Maybe a Prototype (cinamaquette) version of what was later used? As for the crack the rep at HCG said that it was the licensure that did not allow the crack to be made/ molded but then what gives on the spine and extra arm flap detail? Very interesting, indeed.

Interesting...I wonder what HCG and Neca original molds are they claiming in using for theirs???? Maybe a Prototype (cinamaquette) version of what was later used? As for the crack the rep at HCG said that it was the licensure that did not allow the crack to be made/ molded but then what gives on the spine and extra arm flap detail? Very interesting, indeed.

The way I understand it Steve had Andy sculpt an entirely new piece for his studio. A new sculpt would mean a new mold. So I'm guessing what they're claiming are originals are just molds from Andys sculpt. This would also account for all the inaccuracies.

Awesome pics thanks for your input!

Thanks for taking it so well. I half expected pitch forks. lol

i thought it was cool to see the actual differences from the og Slimer. I'm still really excited about HCG version! I like hearing an intelligent point of view

Yeah every time I ask the question on why the changes and differences I just get this from them:

The licensor requested the changes.

Regards,
CB

Keep up to date by signing up for our free newsletter:
Hollywood Collectibles...

I guess it will be a mystery as to why the the studio cares so much about it to not allow a true representation of the real Slimer. While it will bother me a bit I'm like most people here excited to get a life size Slimer in my collection, finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just here to chime in about HCG's quality.

Their sculpts are very, very good most of the time. What usually kills the "statue" is the paint app. On the statues, the paint app is typically flat, and there's very little blending in so everything looks rigid or stiff.

That being said, their busts seems to be in a whole 'nother ballpark, whether it's a different factory or what, I cannot say for sure. From what I have seen, they excel in busts.

Here's a photo of statues I got from HCG:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Thanks for the reviews. Your pictures and words do make them look good.
The Selene bust however is not so well loved.

Ink was referring to a member being called out, posts removed, in this thread.
And really thanks for posting this. I couldn't believe what I was apparently reading.

Lol that's the other thing I've noticed. They can't seem to capture the likeness at all in any character sculpt. But when it comes to monsters or beasts they do it pretty well. Thankfully slimer is a monster :)

Lol that's the other thing I've noticed. They can't seem to capture the likeness at all in any character sculpt. But when it comes to monsters or beasts they do it pretty well. Thankfully slimer is a monster :)

100% correct! Until now with the Bill Murray Ghostbuster statue, which by the way was resculpted because their first showing was no good, all their actor character likeness were bad-like a cheap toy bad. In my opinion, they looked more like their stunt doubles then the real actor. But as DarkMario said, their monsters look very good to excellent just need to get better paint applications to bring their characters to life.

For example their Underworld Lycan, I have this piece and it's a great solid piece! The likeness to the movie Lycan is well done and the paint is good, is it SSC or Cinamaquette good? Nope. Compare to the Cinamaquette's 2k+ offering the paint on the HCG appears flat and boring but again your not paying 2k for the statue either. Only reason to compare is because of what can be done on the same character with a little more skill and imagination put forward by HCG.

43c7c4c152ee04cddf006c97847d658a.jpg

25b905768456a7efdb539a5fb170b1c5.jpg

https://cinemaquette.com/images/large/maquettes/ecc_Lycan_maquette_8_LRG.jpg

https://cinemaquette.com/images/large/maquettes/ecc_Lycan_maquette_7_LRG.jpg

View attachment 258219

The suit on set:

View attachment 258218

The piece seemed obviously off to me from the get-go, so I was confused about the claim that it was cast from the original Slimer. Rocco's 1/6 scale Slimer looks much more accurate. That, plus the questionable paint apps from this company have kept me from even considering this. Venkman is still a possibility, but I'll wait until we get some in-hand impressions.

Looks like these are moving pretty well preorder on the Neca one is sold out on BBTS and only 2 left of the HCG one. :)

Looks like these are moving pretty well preorder on the Neca one is sold out on BBTS and only 2 left of the HCG one. :)

Really! That's great, how can you tell how many of the HCG are left? Just curios I couldn't find it

Ghostbusters Life Size Slimer Statue - Ghostbusters Statues

Go there and Add to cart the max which is 24 then hit update cart. It'll update with how ever many left they have.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the max order on this may be limited to 2. Its still available on HCG's website. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they get more the 2 appointed to them so they may not have sold any. From my understanding, Retailers don't have a unlimited quantity on specific pieces, they get appointed so many. Again, everything I said my be incorrect. This is just what I've heard in the past. Either way I got mine ordered. Well, not ordered... I traded for a PCS 1/3 LOD. Can't wait to get both of these pieces.

Back