Having BIG surgery in 10 days

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithjedi171

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello to my unseen friends. I wanted to tell everyone about what I've got going on. I don't consider myself extremely religious but I am a practicing Catholic and I truly believe in the power of prayer. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. It's a disease of the colon where you have these pockets that catch particles and get enflamed. I had a colon re-section done in August of 2010. It went well and I was out of the hospital after 6 days. Well all was good till about March of 2011. I started having the same pain in my stomach again. I went to the ER expecting an appendicitis and to my surprise was told I had Diverticulitus. Again. Well it turns out not only is this disease rare in young people that developing new pockets is very rare as well. It's also a lot more aggressive in young people. The biggest fear with this disease is having your colon rupture from the where the inflamed pocket weakens the wall of the colon. You rupture, you go septic and you die. (this happened to my grandfather at the age of 49). Anyways it was a mild case and I was fine after being treated with IV antibiotics and painkillers. I was in and out of the hospital with minor attacks the rest of 2011. In November 2011 my surgeon (who I love like a father) told me it was time to go in and do another resection. He did and the surgery went well. Until my life changed 6 days later. At the time I should have been close to going home I woke up in the hospital bed feeling like I was literally melting I was so hot. I called the nurse and said "come check my temp NOW". It was 105 F. My blood pressure was dangerously low at 80/50. My family and doctor were called in immediately. My doctor suspected an infection of some sort. A CT scan showed that my colon had come loose where the re-section was done. I was septic. (the cause was me straining to have a bowel movement so I could go home) So here I am six days after being filleted, still healing to have to be opened again to be re-attached, and have my guts cleaned. I was living a nightmare. I was moved to ICU. My blood pressure still dangerously low. My entire body swollen. I was as close to death as you can get. I remember going into surgery thinking: this may be the last time I see my wife. My kids. My brother. My parents... The doctor told my dad at that time that I had about a 10 percent chance of survival and the next 24 hours would be crucial. I survived surgery and the doc had to give me a colostomy bag, which I still have now. A month after that surgery I finally got to go home. Right before Christmas. All was good until February of this year. I had some bad Mexican food and got sick. Well the strain from vomiting caused my still weak and healing belly to bust open. I remember feeling something pop. I looked down and saw blood. The wound on my belly had opened and I had intestines hanging out. No joke. Straight to the ER straight to surgery. But it was an easy fix compared to what I went through last November. Since February I've been in and out of the hospital. Problems with my stoma wanting to close up to just last week when I had a gallbladder attack. It's been one thing after another. Since November of 2011 I've been in the hospital more than I've been home. But I feel the end is in sight. On June 14th I go in to have my colostomy reversed. It's going to be a huge surgery. Kind of like what I had done before just backwards. I'm really scared yet also anxious because the colostomy bag sucks. It's gross, it's a pain and a total hassle. But it saved my life so that's ok. I'm praying that I don't have any complications this time. I'm tired of not being able to work. I have to take pain medication a lot and I don't sleep well. One good thing that's come out of this is that I'm about 45 lbs lighter (down from 255 to around 215) than I was in November and the doc says that's to my advantage. We shall see. The reason for me writing this ? I don't know. I feel the more people I have pulling for me the better chance I have to be totally fine. I love this forum. Even though I'm relatively new a feel a bond with certain members. I have plenty of friends but none that are toy collectors so it's nice having discussion with people who are into the same hobby. Pray for me Freaks. Light a candle on the 14th. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
6cc21899-fde5-11bc.jpg

Here's a close-up of my scar currently. You can see how my belly button is off to the side now as opposed to being in the middle.

Best of luck, sithjedi. I'm so very sorry you are having to go through all of that. I will pray for you and your family.

^^^

Thanks Guy. Your right. Things will get better. I'm a pretty optimistic guy by nature. I had someone wise tell me not long ago; "you never have to look far to find someone else dealing with something worse than yourself."

So true.

I could have done without the picture (;)) but I hope the operation is successful and you can get back to living a normal life again. :duff

^^^

Thanks Guy. Your right. Things will get better. I'm a pretty optimistic guy by nature. I had someone wise tell me not long ago; "you never have to look far to find someone else dealing with something worse than yourself."

So true.

Besides, I still need you to post some pics of those ribs you make....in the future. :drool :lol

Will do Guy. Didn't get to it last time. Plus the only way I've figured out how to upload pictures is the ones taken on my IPad and the quality sucks. I need to get the mrs. to help me with that. I wanna post pics of my Star Wars room as well. Anyways thanks for all the kind words my friends.

Back