Have I lost the drive to collect?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
I dunno, lately I've been less enthused about Sideshow and to a degree HT and 1/6 scale in general. I mean yea, the Joker, Batman, Iron Man, SW figures - pretty much everything I have rocks. But over the last few months I was sorta thinking, "Why am I preordering this?" I have all the Joes coming, Belloq, Toht, just so much stuff but I don't know if I want to keep it. Most of the figures I have are boxed up and don't get much display and so I've considered just canceling everything... until I see pics like Maulfan's and I immediately say "No, I don't want to cancel. I'm just crazy." But here I am again, a day before Antilles is supposed to arrive and I sorta want to go into my SS account and cancel nearly EVERYTHING. Anyone else go through this? What was the end result? Am I really just crazy?

I don't think you are loosing drive. I think you are saturated in it. I hit spells just like that every know and again. I think its just your psyche trying to balance things out. Take a break if you need to, sell some stuff, cancel some preorders but the drive to collect will always rear its head again.

I guess I'm kind of in a similar place. I've not been as excited about much lately. I finally pre-ordered the Mark II Iron Man after seeing the Mark III pic thread and I'm still seriously considering getting the GG WALL-E maquette. But other than those two the only thing I have on pre-order is Blackbeard. I've also been thinking about slimming down my collection some.

I think its the fact there boxed up and I keep feeling exactly the same since my stuff isn't displayed either apart from 1 detolf in my front room.
Although when i go to the show your shelves section and see an awesome collection I'm like ..

" wow ... I can't wait until everythings done and ready to be displayed ".

Will they eventually be displayed or are they likey to always be boxed up ?.
This the the reason I never understood collectors who buy figures and statues to keep in there boxes.

I think I only feel this way when I am too focused on the hobby.

You may need to get out and do something. :lol

I'm seriously contemplating canceling a LOT, selling off a lot. But then I realize how much of a hit I'd be taking on some things. I think that's whats been getting to me most is how much I've put out on a lot of things and how little they are worth now. ESPECIALLY the SS stuff. As I've gotten a few more HT figures I've just sort of fallen out with most of my SS figures. Right now the only ones I have displayed are my modded Boussh Leia and Indy, yet from HT I have out Sparrow, my BR Joker, V 1.5 Joker and TDK Bats. I love my Jedi figures but it seems something is missing with them for me. I dunno haha I guess Im at the point in my life where Im evaluating what I really want and I do want to keep collecting but I'm not sure it fits with where I am right now.

Will they eventually be displayed or are they likey to always be boxed up ?.
This the the reason I never understood collectors who buy figures and statues to keep in there boxes.

There are a few displayed now, and eventually I plan to display them but I don't know if I really WANT to have so many figures.

I think I only feel this way when I am too focused on the hobby.

You may need to get out and do something. :lol

That's just it Marc, I'm really not that focused on the hobby at all. Most of my time has been going into class the last week or so and this is when the feeling has kicked in.

I dunno, lately I've been less enthused about Sideshow and to a degree HT and 1/6 scale in general. I mean yea, the Joker, Batman, Iron Man, SW figures - pretty much everything I have rocks. But over the last few months I was sorta thinking, "Why am I preordering this?" I have all the Joes coming, Belloq, Toht, just so much stuff but I don't know if I want to keep it. Most of the figures I have are boxed up and don't get much display and so I've considered just canceling everything... until I see pics like Maulfan's and I immediately say "No, I don't want to cancel. I'm just crazy." But here I am again, a day before Antilles is supposed to arrive and I sorta want to go into my SS account and cancel nearly EVERYTHING. Anyone else go through this? What was the end result? Am I really just crazy?

There are times when I wonder why I do this too. I think, why am I spending my money on such things? Then I see something really cool and all that goes away. There is a time when I'm gonna have to probably give it up though because of money issues. Unless I marry someone who shares my love of this and we can pool our money to buy stuff. :lol

I cancelled and sold a TON of stuff and feel better for it. I narrowed down what I collect to just a couple of lines. I used to have 2-3 boxes arrive at the house every week and now I have 1 box show up every couple of months.

It feels like an AA meeting here...
Yeah, bar a few pre orders, I think i'm hitting my limit. The problem is you draw a line in the sand and convince yourself 'No more' then along comes the next HT or SS release and the addiction kicks in again.
Personally, i recently took stock of what i've got and i'm happy that i've got representations of the majority of my favourite pop culture franchises. Don't think i'll ever stop, however my purchases will never be on the scale of 2008

I cancelled and sold a TON of stuff and feel better for it. I narrowed down what I collect to just a couple of lines. I used to have 2-3 boxes arrive at the house every week and now I have 1 box show up every couple of months.

That's what I'm going to do - sell and cancel the stuff that I really don't need and just keep the stuff that I actually like. Lately I've been having a habit of just ordering anything that looks cool even if I'm not really into the character. When I first started this hobby my girlfriend loved the anticipation of what UPS was bringing next, but now that I have multiple UPS boxes coming every week I can see it in her eyes that she is really getting annoyed. She'll walk into a room and just stare at these boxes and I can see the steam from the top of her head -- it reminds me of that movie Sixteen Candles when Jake walks into the living room and just stares blankly at the huge mess from his house party. :lol The only thing missing is the pizza on the record player.

I was feeling the same way. I had started to have a mass abundance of 1/6. I sold nearly all of my 1/6 stuff, except for my OT guys and a few others. I have bought a few PF's and am feeling better about it. My collection just seems less cluttered , and I can really enjoy the fewer pieces I have now. :sick

Wow guys...this is a pretty sad thread. Maybe your collection tastes are just changing, ive gone from transformers, to diecast, to puzzles, to neca & Mcfarlane, to statues, now i'm in love with 1/6 dollies. If you just get the select pieces that matter most to you, thats when collecting is most exciting. When you start moving into the "it would look cool on my shelf" phase, it wont be as exciting or personal. I say take a break, save some cash, when that special item arrives, you will get that sideshow loving feeling again.

Yea I think a lot of things I've ordered came to, "Oh well that figure sorta goes with that one, so I need it." or "Wow, looks pretty cool, guess Ill order it". Trust me, my tastes won't change as Star Wars is what I've collected MOST of my life, but with the Hasbro stuff I've gone to mostly OT, especially Vintage Re-dos and think I should apply that same mentallity to the SS line but then the Jedi look so cool and that's what sucks me in.

I think it's just a matter of collecting too many things, and like what others have said, just getting something because it looks cool. I don't have a big collection by any means, but I've been canceling items lately, mostly due to money issues but also cause it's just not quite important enough to have in my collection. So I guess it's a matter of just pacing yourself and keeping the pieces that you really love and really want in your collection.

i am truthfully going through what you are talking about. i have sold my collection down to nothing. everybody goes through personal events in there lives. my decline started when my grandpa died in sept. and it's still going on. i now have lost my grandma too and it just put me in that mode of i have not gone after or achieved any of my dreams and so many chapters in my life are closed. not that i want sympathy it's just wierd things happen to just make you wonder what keeps you or motivates you in to still doing what you like.
for me the drive is burned out.
i don't get that feeling of wow i need that when i see stuff anymore..
sorry for the biography here.

i am truthfully going through what you are talking about. i have sold my collection down to nothing. everybody goes through personal events in there lives. my decline started when my grandpa died in sept. and it's still going on. i now have lost my grandma too and it just put me in that mode of i have not gone after or achieved any of my dreams and so many chapters in my life are closed. not that i want sympathy it's just wierd things happen to just make you wonder what keeps you or motivates you in to still doing what you like.
for me the drive is burned out.
i don't get that feeling of wow i need that when i see stuff anymore..
sorry for the biography here.

Sorry for your loss turtle, and ironically I think this all started when I lost my dad in November. I think tonight I may start listing some of my Star Wars figures, maybe even my LOTR figures. Without the fellowship, despite them being AMAZING figures, it's just not there for me.

Back