1/6 Han Solo In Carbonite New Figure by Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really... it wasn't rocket science to figure it out either... you sound like you would moan if you got it for free....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Did I say that it was hard to figure out, someone just asked what my thoughts were on it. And I think it’s stupid to have to pull a piece off then reach through to push another piece out just to turn it on. Then put it all back together again just for the light display option. That’s the kind of bs planning of HT Vader. SS could have easily put a touch active place on the back of the block like they did with R2’s dome. And yeah I’m happy I didn’t pay full price for this.

I got it today! Great complement to the Carbon Freezing chamber diorama I'm designing. Here is my review of the SideShow Han Solo in Carbonite in 1/6 scale.

my affiliate link to the piece: https://side.sh/5ka

Ouch. Nice enough as backdrop for a few 1/6 figs, but the set just comes across as a a little clunky and sorta cheap in this review.

Even the little stuff - like the light bleed around the light-up panel reminds me of the light bleed around the IG-88 head lights, and the inconsistent lighting on the carbon freeze orange steps slots. But hey - at least the switch is on the back and not UNDERNEATH like it was on the carbon freeze stand for IG-88 (necessitating removing the figure every time you wanted to turn the stand lights on.)

The removal of those panels for the posts insertion is truly a bizarre idea as Joost points out, but I've often felt that some of Sideshow's key product design decisions were done by two old timers in greasy overalls standing next to a drill press. Even the solid black posts seem like an odd choice - and I know they said something about clear posts sagging for the Probot, but EVERYBODY ELSE uses clear posts.

And this being the v.2 sculpt of Han Carbonite for Sideshow, you'd think the HF face would be nailed. But as Joost shows clearly in the review... it seems both not very accurate and also soft. The Hasbro sculpt looks just as good, if not better.

If this was well under $200 you could start to accept it, but for $250? Really cooling on the idea of grabbing this, even with a coupon. That review kind of made me angry at Sideshow.:lol

Much like bossk, ig88, and the reissued Boba fett, I feel like if you want this in 1/6 scale, and don't have the previous version, it's worth getting. But if you already have the first release, it's probably not worth the money.

I got it today! Great complement to the Carbon Freezing chamber diorama I'm designing. Here is my review of the SideShow Han Solo in Carbonite in 1/6 scale.

my affiliate link to the piece: https://side.sh/5ka

Great review JazzInc! Thanks for sharing. You answered a lot of the questions I had. I'm in agreement with you, I'm not sure the flooring is accurate for the carbon freezing chamber. It almost seems to me to be just a generic floor. Any chance you could develop a plate that's a more accurate carbon freezing chamber floor that slides into place on top of the base as an alternative. I know you are actively working on your full scale sized carbon freezing diorama, but for some of us that just don't have the room, it would be a great idea to have that iconic flooring for the base Sideshow included. Just a thought.

Great review JazzInc! Thanks for sharing. You answered a lot of the questions I had. I'm in agreement with you, I'm not sure the flooring is accurate for the carbon freezing chamber. It almost seems to me to be just a generic floor. Any chance you could develop a plate that's a more accurate carbon freezing chamber floor that slides into place on top of the base as an alternative. I know you are actively working on your full scale sized carbon freezing diorama, but for some of us that just don't have the room, it would be a great idea to have that iconic flooring for the base Sideshow included. Just a thought.

Thanks. I could probably do that, but it would be around $50 because I would have to make that in very low numbers. It would be double layered though, with a metal floor and the orange acrylic behind that. Fully painted.

Nice review, Jazz. Are you thinking of building in a way in your diorama to have the block in the floating position?

Thanks. I could probably rig something up inside the hole where the Carbonite slab is supposed to go. I’ll have to look at that.

For the people requesting a picture with other figures for size reference, here it is.
f4f57a1720d69273c8de88231af7fc97.jpg

For the people requesting a picture with other figures for size reference, here it is.
f4f57a1720d69273c8de88231af7fc97.jpg

Great pic! It looks fine size-wise.

Is the top width dimension slightly smaller than the bottom/base width dimension? I seem to recall someone posting a pic/blueprint earlier indicating that's how the prop was, though I never noticed it.

Thanks. I could probably do that, but it would be around $50 because I would have to make that in very low numbers. It would be double layered though, with a metal floor and the orange acrylic behind that. Fully painted.

Yeah that sounds good to me. I’d be interested.

I'm digging the block without the base, but I'm not sure the value is there. I'll have to wait it out and see if there's any deal whatsoever, even something like free shipping could make the points more enticing to use.

After watching that video I just can't justify it at the $250 asking price. Like mentioned by Joost if it were closer to $200 maybe I could see myself biting on it easier but it just doesn't feel like it's worth the current price tag for a piece of plastic with some lights. I think it looks alright enough but the price point is just too much of a deterrent.

After watching that video I just can't justify it at the $250 asking price. Like mentioned by Joost if it were closer to $200 maybe I could see myself biting on it easier but it just doesn't feel like it's worth the current price tag for a piece of plastic with some lights. I think it looks alright enough but the price point is just too much of a deterrent.

It doesn't even exist for me due to the price tag. Might as well be a 1:1.....dont care. Now if it is $210 or below......"how you doing?"!!!

It doesn't even exist for me due to the price tag. Might as well be a 1:1.....dont care. Now if it is $210 or below......"how you doing?"!!!
Honestly even there I feel like it's too high for what they're offering. Realistically it should be under $200. Like $185 would be the sweet spot for me. As is no thanks.

Slave-1 just arrived with it's cargo...

Quick review:

1. It's a perfect example of "The whole is greater than it's parts."

While I was removing the parts from the packaging, I was not very impressed with the "Plasticky" of the carbonite block. While having some heft, it still gave a cheapy kind of sense. But as I built up the display, adding the side panels, setting up the base and especially turning on the lights, it won me over.

2. The lighting effects are key. Excellent job on the one panel. Love the effects. The base lit up also looks fantastic. With everything turned off, it looses it's "wow" factor considerably. Room lighting will also affect how the carbonite looks. Notice below that the direct lighting of the monitor really makes the horizontal display look great.

3. The interchangeable display options are a big plus. Love both options.

4. I used the $50 coupon way back when it was offered and I'm glad I did. I really like this piece in my Star Wars collection.

If you can get it below retail, I highly recommend it.

Obligatory crappy pics:

CH1.jpg

CH2.jpg

While I was removing the parts from the packaging, I was not very impressed with the "Plasticky" of the carbonite block. While having some heft, it still gave a cheapy kind of sense. But as I built up the display, adding the side panels, setting up the base and especially turning on the lights, it won me over.

Nice pics! And yeah, I think that's what jumped out at me in the video review the most - his right-out-of-the-box reaction being "plasticky" and a few mins later, he's literally rubbing Tamiya gun metal all over it with his fingers. I'm like... "whoa... its so bad he's fixing with fingers DURING the review.":horror:lol

But yeah, it's also about price. Lucky on the $50 (I bought four SSC figs incl $270 Luke Snowspeeder in 12 months and no coupon.) Even a $20-25 coupon doesn't make a dent in this thing. For $250 for such a basic item, it should look exactly like metal. It's the kind of thing that's a no-brainer backdrop piece for around $180.

But this pricepoint is the new Sideshow reality - which would be somehow acceptable if they were hitting em out of the park - not "plasticky" and Tamiya gun metal-stained fingers.

I agree 100%, TaliBane.

I'm also not a fan of the heavy metallic drybrushing that was applied by the factory. I have to admit that having just watched the video, I winced at the heavy application by finger! LOL!

The $50 coupon was the key for me, in picking this one up. I initially had buyer's remorse after reading the "under-scaled" comments. I will say that the scale is fine.

But as I previously mentioned, once it's set up and lit up, it looks fantastic. The fact that it uses regular sized batteries, which came already loaded, is a huge plus. I can't stand using those watch batteries that Hot Toys is so fond of.

I do think one thing is obvious, though the face is not screen accurate, it's way better than the 1st version, especially the teeth.

yeah I can see that it being better in the face. I have the first version and still love it I will eventually get this new version and hang it up on the wall to replace the original version one day.

Mine comes next Thursday and yes there's good and bad and price blah blah but while I cannot argue people's free opinion and agree with all the points on both ends I am just happy to get one finally. It's missing from my collection and maybe I'll build my own jabas palace wall and stick it will my throne display.

It's always funny to me every toy or statue that has AA or AAA batteries included is by some brand you never heard of.

Back