1/6 Han Solo In Carbonite New Figure by Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light up feature in this is awesome.

Light feature and modular switch, awesome.

Price not awesome.

I wish Hasbro or the Disney Store did their own version of this. It would prolly be great at a quarter the price.

And maybe even be scaled better. Really disappointed that I just can’t bring myself to order this one.

I'm curious to see a video review on this. I don't see myself getting it due to the price and it being undersized but it does look fairly decent.

I'm curious to see a video review on this. I don't see myself getting it due to the price and it being undersized but it does look fairly decent.

There is absolutely nothing concrete that proves this is undersized - not sure why people keep saying that it is.

Light feature and modular switch, awesome.

Price not awesome.

I wish Hasbro or the Disney Store did their own version of this. It would prolly be great at a quarter the price.

And maybe even be scaled better. Really disappointed that I just can’t bring myself to order this one.

There is a Hasbro version which is slightly larger. I bought it for quite cheap ($20 or so I think off eBay). I may repaint it a bit at some point, or add lights. However considering it is only a background piece, and the size is better, I think it is clearly better value for money than the SS version.

In fact here is an article (one of a couple) that compare the Hasbro to the original SS version in 2010 !! (this new one is clearly of the same mould)

https://mightyjabba.com/2010/09/05/hasbro-16-scale-han-solo-in-carbonite-block/

In fact, rebuilding this (below) would be quite simple actually. Just some plastic panels and spray sand render from the hardware shop. Plenty of room for simple LED lighting behind the carbonite and background. Would also give me a spot for Boba Fett who always seems a bit lost in my collection.

3010924878_567e8aeedc_o.jpg

This release is a 100% new sculpt versus the polystone SSC version from several years ago, though both are the ROTJ version of the block (which I guess makes the horizontal Bespin display option on this release sort of "incorrect.")

There is absolutely nothing concrete that proves this is undersized - not sure why people keep saying that it is.

For me, because it clearly looked undersized in person at SDCC next to the other figures in the case.

Based on the only pic that was sort of straight on at SDCC, it looked a little small to me as well. Sideshow lists this as: Product Size
15" H (381mm) x 8" W (203.2mm) x 8.25" L (209.55mm)*
Box Size

So I don't think this is going to be bigger than the original. The original version of this has a smaller han solo than the SSC Boba Fett version 1.

On a side note, the original movie prop head is Harrison Ford, but the body was the guy that played Bossk I guess. So it probably should be on the short side.

Its goine with my 1/6 SS Darth Vader and my 1/6 Hot Toys Boba Fett and I bet it looks just fine...why in the he## would SS make a 1/6 scale out of proportion to their other 1/6 scale dolls?

Its goine with my 1/6 SS Darth Vader and my 1/6 Hot Toys Boba Fett and I bet it looks just fine...why in the he## would SS make a 1/6 scale out of proportion to their other 1/6 scale dolls?

Out of scale happens all the time if you consider figure heights. People are always complaining and swapping out foot pegs and what not.

I don't think they are taking everything they are making of in 1/1 scale height and dividing by 6 to get 1/6 down to the milimeter though. I think they are just making educated guesses. Besides what they make in prototype may not be how a production model works out.

Omg if I ever change foot pegs I'm quitting collecting lmao

I'll say I can understand the obsession but I'm good not being obsessed.

I'll enjoy it as it displayed wherever it ends up

Omg if I ever change foot pegs I'm quitting collecting lmao

I'll say I can understand the obsession but I'm good not being obsessed.

I'll enjoy it as it displayed wherever it ends up

Standalone it's ok, but having Luke as tall as han in a display reminds me of 12" Kenner days.

lol I see your point but at least you could pose one lower. Kenners lol talk about stiff

Did a little research on my own but someone at one of the shows confirmed it. The prototype is too small. They may change it but more than likely not.

The first version is too small. Most likely the same mold.
76f458932e762767b434d55dad9c0ff1.jpg

Han should be as tall as Fett if not taller.
98605fa2237cf61e2f6e7263a8eb2b24.jpg

b2493623a1f3d1ad2f91f0ed11199435.jpg

The Hasbro one, though lacking in detail, is actually the right size.
9fb6c7354c0f12f24496868e2b594911.jpg

47d19dbbdd6d5da1835ac9324a1181e3.jpg

39ff2525a1b423c7fbc22dc1acf4b286.jpg

Han wouldn't shrink if you put him in carbonite. Wait... that came out wrong.

I posted this a few pages back for those who have not seen it. I really hope it's the right Scale but to me it looks like the Han is not tall enough therefore making the entire block out of scale. The Hasbro block seemed to get the proportions of Han correct even if the block itself is not accurate.

Good post, JJ. While I do really like the Hasbro block (I sold my original SSC one because to me the Hasbro han face sculpt was better) the face and hands are a bit oversized if you put a current 1/6 head or hands right next to them. They're more in scale with the Hasbro heads from the late 90's/2000's which are even a little bigger than the old too-large SSC heads from the mid to late 2000's.

The comp pics with the Fett are tough to judge because it's a little hard to see that the Fett and Carb block are in the same plane. If there was a front-on pic of the new SSC block with the Fett right next to it, it would be more conclusive.

Even though SSC hasn't used the "apple scale" thing in quite a while for many of their 1/6 releases, they did use it for the Carbonite, so I got some older pics that did use the apple (and yes, they used the same "apple" in all pics) to get a closer side-by-side to judge the Carb fig for scale.

I think I should have made the pics of older SSC figs just a touch smaller in relation to the Carbonite pic to make their apples the exact size of the Carbonite apple (you can see that the apple in the Carbonite pic is few percent smaller than the other two apples either side - I tried:gah:,) but it's close. It probably means the GI Joe and Cantina guy figs should be just a touch smaller than they appear in the image.

With this in mind, I think the Carbonite looks okay scale-wise (though some older SSC figs did tend to run on the shorter side of "correct" 1/6.) The Cantina guy's huge head and the Joe fig's stuffed body doesn't help with the comp, but you get the idea.

u6tZFUZ.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. It looks close enough but if I'm going to pay HT price for a plastic block it better be exact on scale. Which means if I put my HT Han next to it he better be able to fit in the block.

I really hope this will be the definitive Han carbonite but with so many questions I'm holding off for in hand pics.

Yeah, I think everything will be just fine. Looking at the Hasbro comparisons with the old "mold" doesn't really do anything, since the actual 1/6 Carbonite looks completely different than what those two pictures show. Also, the Boba Fett comparison pic at SDCC doesn't work either since you can't account for depth of field from looking at a 2D picture. I don't really know how far Han is compared to Boba Fett. The best pics are the ones that show the apple. It clearly shows he's definitely close to scale. Also, the specs measure at 15" in height and looking at the base, it accounts for just a bit over an inch or an inch and a half so that leaves 13 inches for the actual block. Seeing that the block has a relatively small border, I'd say the actual sculpt of Han is 12 inches which should be just fine.

If you want actual "in hand" pics, you should watch the instagram post on Sideshow's Instagram that shows a lady demonstrating the final product.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQmfGkHi9T/?taken-by=sideshowcollectibles

Back