Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a sharp looking firearm and it appears to be in great shape. West German model stamp? I think you got a fair price. I see them go for the same in lesser condition at gun shows all the time. Shoot it in good health!!

It is basically brand new minus a couple of scratches on the handle and some light holster wear on the trigger guard.

Probably foolish of me to buy without knowing anything about it, but I honestly have no clue how to tell anything about the origin besides the date on the side. I just assumed it had to be West German considering the date.

Took her to the range this morning and I've got to say - it performs beautiful. Very accurate, but actually somewhat out of zero. Shooting a handful of inches to the left - - - anyone know how to adjust the windage? I know it's a front-post adjustment but I don't know what that involves. I figure I'll just have to take it to a smithy.

Brought this home, tonight... I spent way, way too much money on it... but it's basically brand new. Carl Walther P38/P1 stamped May 1964.

p38a.jpg

p38b.jpg

p38c.jpg

And I thought I spent $450 on it. I actually spent $490 after taxes, but I got a $50 gift card, 8 round mag, flecktarn holster (gonna have to rig belt loops for it, I guess), cleaning kit, and the manual. Still very steep, I know... but you know what? I had a bad week at work, and this is gonna be my Christmas.

I included the 1911 as a size comparison. I would have never guessed the P38 was as large as a 1911.

The price doesn't seem too bad to me for an authentic piece. And though I am no expert, it looks pretty good to me. I really didn't realize they compared to the 1911 in size either.

Something else I never knew before buying one - the P38 is a double action! Just field stripped it, comes apart so simple and easy in three pieces. I cannot wait to have the sight zero'd, this thing is fun.

l hate this thread. always makes me jealous.:lol hand guns here in Canada aren't even worth owning. to many laws. my friend bought a Beretta 9mm a year ago. last week he told me the cops showed up at his house with a warrant just to make sure he still had it and it was stored properly.:cuckoo:

Last edited:
my friend bought a Beretta 9mm a year ago. last week he told me the cops showed up at his house with a warrant just to make sure he still had it and it was stored properly.

If I got a knock on my door from agents here in Alabama, I'd tell them where they could properly store that warrant. But we're going through all kinds of hell over open-carrying our sidearms, now, in Northwest Alabama - legally we have every right to do so, but officers are apparently being trained now to harass us over it. Fortunately, there's no reason to pull me over (never been caught on a traffic violation in my life) and I conceal carry... but I know several folks who have been treated like a felon for open carrying even if they were just pulled over for speeding.

The man is definitely tightening its grip on our throats in the US, too. Pretty soon we'll be no different than Canada in the respect of gun ownership. (Lack thereof, I mean)

If I got a knock on my door from agents here in Alabama, I'd tell them where they could properly store that warrant. But we're going through all kinds of hell over open-carrying our sidearms, now, in Northwest Alabama - legally we have every right to do so, but officers are apparently being trained now to harass us over it. Fortunately, there's no reason to pull me over (never been caught on a traffic violation in my life) and I conceal carry... but I know several folks who have been treated like a felon for open carrying even if they were just pulled over for speeding.

The man is definitely tightening its grip on our throats in the US, too. Pretty soon we'll be no different than Canada in the respect of gun ownership. (Lack thereof, I mean)

l agree. unfortunately our bill to scrap our long gun registry bill failed this September also. we still have to register long guns, and waste more money. and you're NRA was helping as much as they could. it's all one big game. they want to know where the guns are so they can one day come and take them, like they did in the UK and Australia. there's lots of talk that those stupid laws and rules might slowly start applying in your country. you guys got to keep standing up for your rights. in Canada the government says, "guns are not our right, it's a privilege." which is bull to me.

Last edited:

That sucks man. I have a concealed permit, but only because I don't like to wait the 3 days when I buy a gun. Also, it's a huge ordeal if you buy a gun at a gunshow without a permit. My friend bought one at a show, and I did 3 laps around the entire show before he even had the paperwork filled out.

i would gladly wait 3 days. it's 10 days for CA folks. :(

at least i'm exempt to the 1 in 30 day rule with a COE+03FFL.

In Sweden it's illegal to transport your weapon visible, you have to have it concealed and with the ammo stored in another box etc.
Its illegal to leave the weapon unattended while transporting it (Car trunk counts as unattended)

You guys are lucky ;)

Can't believe the laws in the UK atm. It's illegial to buy a replica unless you're a reenactor but yet you can still buy deactivated just fine. It's a strange world we live in.

Sucks being in the UK.

I'd like to get the chance in the future to visit the States and perhaps a shooting range.

As for airsoft kit, i have a Magpul/Noveske M4 and TM G17 Custom as a sidearm.

In a Zombie scenario i think you would do good P1X4R. Its all about the amount of ammo though :D

i think i'm almost set with ammo. if "shizzle hits the fizzle" tomorrow and we could no longer obtain ammo then i'd be ok. :D

just gonna make one more large online order before the year ends. AB962 has lots of ppl in CA (myself included) in :panic:

hopefully it will be overturned but it's nice to be prepared just in case. :)

Not a gun ... but my parents bought be a Bowie Knife that was designed from the knife used in the John Wayne version of "The Alamo". Badass knife.

jim_bowie_knife_the_alamo_movie_replica_540.jpg

600px-Alamo-BowieKnife-1.jpg

It is about 17 inches long overall, with a 12 inch blade. Comparable to a Crocodile Dundee knife in size and shape.

My wife said "that's just obscene." Haha.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Back