Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOTR was awesome, and I enjoy the story much more than Pan's Labyrinth, but the acting, writing, and effects were all much more convincing in the latter.

LOTR had a better story but Pan had better eye candy.

I will agree that there are a few scenes where the special effects are a little dodgy in LOTR compared to Pan's Labyrinth, but that is to be expected as it is an older movie.

Methinks some people are too protective of their favorite film series :lol

Well this is the "Lord of the Rings" forum. ;)

Very sad news :( But good for del Toro for refusing to play the game. He's got a ton of his own stuff in the works, including some films for Disney. He's a true artist and will be missed on The Hobbit productions, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes out with next!

As for The Hobbit, I'm worried... MGM is in trouble, and from what I have read, they won't sell their share of the rights :horror More about the finances here: https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mo...o-hobbit-mgm-peter-jackson-quits-baggins.html Hollywood politics :dunno

I will agree that there are a few scenes where the special effects are a little dodgy in LOTR compared to Pan's Labyrinth, but that is to be expected as it is an older movie.

We're only talking about a difference of 3 years not 30 years. :lol

Damn economy. :gah:

I really respect PJ and GDT for breaking the news in the way that they did, they went to TORN first :)hi5:) that's class; seeing as how TORN has been THE source for all things The Hobbit and how much PJ and Co have interacted there.

I love how anti-Hollywood they seem to be in a lot of ways. :)

Thank you! There is never any love for this movie! :duff And this is a blow to LOTR dorks everywhere. IMO he is better than Jackson, as a film maker. I think he would have taken the Hobbits boring-ass story and really kicked it up a notch.

:lecture :lecture

I am not a Peter Jackson fan. Sure the LotR trilogy was good but I am still not a Jackson fan at all.

We're only talking about a difference of 3 years not 30 years. :lol

A lot happens in 3 years in the tech world.

And the problems with the LOTR effects are slight. So I think the difference of 3 years is plenty to account for the difference.

Another thought is that the amount of CG in LOTR is so huge that there is more oportunities for rushing scenes compared to PL.

What did he really ever do? I know that Pans Labyrinth movie, which was great but I dont think it's proof of him being able to deliver LOTR quality.

IMO Del Toro is the superior visual filmmaker. He has a gothic, frightening style and would have only made the Hobbit a better film. While PJ has a talent for beautiful films, he is far less creative and bold as Del Toro.

Double A?

He meant minor league, like in baseball. AA < AAA < major league

The major difference being the Jackson adapted a world, Del Toro created one. :wave

I love both (and really they shouldn't be compared) but Pan's is by far a more hauntingly beautiful film.

I love PAN'S LABYRINTH as much as the next person, but imho the real unsung film in GDT's repertoire is THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE.

I love PAN'S LABYRINTH as much as the next person, but imho the real unsung film in GDT's repertoire is THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE.

:lecture Very moving and frightening film. Wrote my freshmen English Composition final in college on it.

Cronos is also a very good film, del Toro's first, starring Hellboy himself, Ron Perlman. :wave

This film is hitting too many snags. I'm starting to fear that it might not happen and if it does it might not be a good film.

IMO Del Toro is the superior visual filmmaker. He has a gothic, frightening style and would have only made the Hobbit a better film. While PJ has a talent for beautiful films, he is far less creative and bold as Del Toro.

He meant minor league, like in baseball. AA < AAA < major league

Oh no he didnt :cuckoo:

You deserve this one Josh...

epic_fail.jpg

I still need to see that one :eek:

Definitely Del Toro's finest horror film, although it could be seen as more of a war film. Creatively, Del Toro only had Santi to work with, but what he did was masterful. The subtle ash floating off his body, and the skeleton only visible through the skin in certain light. That said, Del Toro had a very limited budget, so comparing it to Pan's is unfair because with Pan's he could really unleash his creative juices.

Back