Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did he really ever do? I know that Pans Labyrinth movie, which was great but I dont think it's proof of him being able to deliver LOTR quality.

Among other things: his films have been nominated for multiple awards all around the world, including 6 Oscars. His most critically acclaimed films are the ones he writes himself. He's published two books, one of them a critical examination of Alfred Hitchcock's films. He also studied make-up under ____ Smith and designs many of the characters that populate his movies.

He would have knocked this out of the park but I'm thrilled he's not wasting any more of his time.

More on this from the Jackson side:

When news broke over the weekend that Guillermo del Toro was abandoning his post as director of The Hobbit, everyone looked to Peter Jackson, expecting that he’d simply take over and direct the thing himself, as he probably should have all along. But it was only a matter of hours before Jackson’s management made it clear in no uncertain terms that he’d never be anything other than a producer on the film. I guess they forgot to relay this decision to Peter.

Talking to the Dominion Post Peter Jackson revealed that he could end up directing the movie, if it becomes necessary. He says, “If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore.” This assumes that it’s even possible. He explains, “The other studios may not let me out of the contracts.”

We assume those "other contracts" he's referring to must mean Tintin, Jackson's committed to direct the third in a trilogy being kicked off by Steven Spielberg, for some reason. There's also some mysterious, smaller project his manager hinted at while declaring he'd never be involved in The Hobbit. But Tintin has Spielberg, does it really need Peter Jackson? And the third Tintin movie seems so far off, it's hard to believe that Jackson couldn't sequeeze in at least one Hobbit movie while Spielberg finishes up the first two, if he really wants to do it. The thing is, it still doesn't sound like he really wants to.

Confirmation that Jackson's even considering handling another LOTR installment may seem like good news, but do we really want a begrudging Peter Jackson who directs another Middle Earth movie only because he has to? Lord of the Rings worked because he had a passion for the material. For whatever reason, this certainly doesn’t sound like a man who’s passionate about making The Hobbit into a movie. If he does it, it’ll only be a money decision, a decision made because he has no other choice. I’m not sure what happened to PJ after he left Middle Earth, but he talks like a man who's been raped by a Balrog. His love for Tolkien seems to have disappeared along with his rotund, hobbit-like belly.

WTF is Tintin?

I don't think PJ would ever look at it like

"sighhh. OMG If I must."

But ya never know these Hollywood types.

Actually, PJ was raped by a Balrog of sorts, one named New Line Cinema. Think of all the c#*p he had to go through after they didn't pay him all monies that had been agreed on. Actually, it seems like a lot of people connected with the project had to do things like that (non-payment of royalties on merchandising, etc.). NL just got too damn greedy.

There's an old saying, "one bitten, twice shy".

Quick Note: I recently changed my ID from 'jagmike' to 'Valarauko', which is Quenya for "Balrog" (I love me some 'Rog!).

Last edited:
Personally, Pan's Labyrinth was of much higher quality than LOTR.

2.jpg

2vltpgh.gif

290tqvr.gif

That was really cool the way you grew a new head out of your ass.

LOTR was awesome, and I enjoy the story much more than Pan's Labyrinth, but the acting, writing, and effects were all much more convincing in the latter.

That was really cool the way you grew a new head out of your ass.

LOTR was awesome, and I enjoy the story much more than Pan's Labyrinth, but the acting, writing, and effects were all much more convincing in the latter.

Sorry not even close.

LOTR is a big league picture in every way.

Pan's is a double A picture.

Methinks some people are too protective of their favorite film series :lol

And I left the Orphanage of the list as he didn't direct it, but that is another great film :rock

Back