GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly think people gravitate more to Godzilla as a monstrous destruction filled beast and not a hero. I think people want a disaster film out of Godzilla with some monster battles here and there. Wasn’t a lot of destruction in this movie.

The 2014 trailer promised a very dark and destructive movie then what we got. I think people like evil Godzilla more

I honestly think people gravitate more to Godzilla as a monstrous destruction filled beast and not a hero. I think people want a disaster film out of Godzilla with some monster battles here and there. Wasn’t a lot of destruction in this movie.

The 2014 trailer promised a very dark and destructive movie then what we got. I think people like evil Godzilla more

I think you’re on to something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first one probably shouldn't have had any monsters, then it would have been interesting to have them in the second one and whether or not that Godzilla would defend the earth or not from them.

Shin was pretty much that with the exception of monster battles. That guy was pretty creepy and evil af.

Yeah I'm still waiting for Cloverfield but with Godzilla.

I wonder if Godzilla not allowed to be bad in the US is a WB/Legendary thing or Toho thing?

I’m going with the latter.

Good thing Thanos isn’t owned by Toho!

Thanos snaps his finger and little children break out in song lol

Last edited:
I think it spawned from trying to distance from the '98 film and appeal to the modern audiences. Being a solo film was not '98's crime, but nevertheless it was, now zip forward to 2007 and beyond, you've got Transformers with giant robots fighting each other, a year before Godzilla you get Pacific Rim with robots vs monsters, having giant things fighting each other was what was popular going into writing and producing 2014, so it makes sense, and it allows them to distinguish from '98.

That said, being a vs Godzilla film doesn't mean Godzilla has to be overly heroic. From '55 to '66, Godzilla films had him fighting other monsters but throughout the film he was a force to stop and of destruction as much as his foes. Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster has scenes of Godzilla destroying things before ever even truly coming into conflict with anyone else, and the end fight is more about fighting off a threat to himself more so than saving mankind. And there are plenty of movies where Godzilla is the nemesis and the other monster is more the savior, maybe they just felt the well known name had to be the hero, I don't know. If you market it right, who cares if Mothra or Biollante is the more heroic monster and Godzilla is the villain, make it look fun to watch and people won't be thinking about who's what, they'll just go oooh and ahhh over city destruction, atomic rays taking out the military, giant monsters fighting, etc.

Well I’m happy you mentioned city destruction because if they’re going to make Godzilla a goody two shoe then at least don’t skimp on the city destruction from the bad guys and collateral damage from Godzilla trying to stop them which unfortunately this movie did.

Yeah, in comparison, Godzilla 2014 showed more of the fight taking out the city than KOTM did, lots of focus on humans amidst rubble without seeing the rubble created and close up shots of the fights. The one shot along those lines was after Mothra webs Ghidorah to a skyscraper and Godzilla walks up and knocks him through it.

Maybe with Kong we'll get a taste of "evil" Godzilla, just once in an American production, I want even just a few minutes of Godzilla walking through a city destroying things for no reason other than convenience, with the classic Godzilla theme playing.

I feel like the only time Godzilla has been TRUE evil is GMK. He’s a prick in that movie...poor Baragon :lol he’s been “The threat” before but it always seems more like it’s coming from a force of nature aspect.

Maybe Mothra vs Godzilla counts.

Shin I sort of see as neutral evil. GMK is chaotic evil

Back