Glass eyes for Sideshow 1:1 Busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amir

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone customized or had someone else customize a Sideshow 1:1 Bust with Glass Eyes? I really want to pick up some of their busts but the life less painted on eyes turn me off.

Before I saw who the author of this thread was I automatically thought of you Amir. You obsess about this topic, but rightfully so... they improve the look and realism of 1:1 scale busts greatly. If the new Hellboy bust had glass eyes, it would be a vast improvement, and one that may have made me pull the trigger. These pieces look so lifeless with painted eyes. T-800 Arnold is my favorite bust. The new Predator bust is up there as well. Gotta love glass eyes.

I think the costly production is holding them back - but the end result would be impressive and make it more real life looking (not the same for the hair, still prefer molded)

Honestly, sideshows 1:1 scale/Life size busts & products should never have painted eyes, especially for the prices they go for. Either Acrylic or glass eyes should be used.

I would think it would require some pretty major surgery to incorporate glass eyes into an existing bust.

But I agree that Sideshow should be using them for their high-end stuff.

I'll agree that glass eyes would be more realistic in most cases, but they did an outstanding job on the painted eyes of the Ardeth Bey color bust!!! :rock

What a great topic!!! I agree 100%!!!! Although the 1:1 already look great, glass eyes would make them just OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!! :rock My Maul bust would just look creepy!!! :horror

Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking the eyes need more life. I'm hoping someone here has upgraded there bust with glass eyes and will post how he had them done. I really want a few of the busts but I would have to upgrade them with glass eyes to make myself happy. So anyone out there done something like this?

How could making this change even be possible, aren't the busts solid polystone? Would take a lot of drilling and damage somewhere to pull that off I'd think.

I've never seen glass eyes and that's probably for the best, but none of my busts really seem lifely in the eyes, Yoda maybe but his aren't even painted, but Maul and Palpatine look plenty alive to me.

They would have to be mass produced at a high end level ... and from China. :google

The T-800 does look great though, it adds to the piece.

CollectiblesRoom10308031.jpg

Stupid question but can someone explain what acrylic eyes are, why they differ from glass eyes?

They would have to be mass produced at a high end level ... and from China. :google

The T-800 does look great though, it adds to the piece.

CollectiblesRoom10308031.jpg

Exactly my point the T-800 bust has some and it retailed for 549.99, why can't a Hellboy bust retailing at 599.99 have glass eyes?

Easy: glass eyes are made of glass, acrylic eyes are plastic. Same effect, different material.

Are the SSC 1:1 busts really solid polystone? That would be heavy as Hell!:horror Shipping would be almost as much as the bust!:lol If they're hollow, the transplant would be very feasible. It would just take a lot of patience and a steady hand. Polystone is really tough to Dremel. I had to disect a Batman statue for a guy once. Took forever to do, and I wasn't even going for any level of accuracy; I was just hacking it apart to salvage certain pieces.

Well, I imagine most would, all things being equal. (Although I'm not sure I've ever seen a statue with glass eyes in person, I'm sure it improves realism over painted eyes.)

I have and it does add to piece by 10 fold in my opinion.

Definitely! Glass/acrylic eyes are the only way to go in 1:1 scale. I've seen it done on 1:6 stuff. Usually just ruins the head and looks like a creepy ventriloquist's dummy.

Back