Gentle Giant to do Lord of the Rings full-poly's?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't judge til I see one of the pieces. The animated maquettes do not sound interesting, unless they are movie acurate............have to wait and see.

Well the Stormtrooper busts I have from GG are very well done. Not any better or worse than any of the Sideshow Weta busts. However, if I remember correctly, the human faced busts I saw were more monotone in their paint application. There was not much depth of color. Although it's been a while since I've seen one. The Vader and Chewie statues I had were very nicely done.

From GG site

New license – Lord of the Rings

The vast collection of Lord of the Rings products certainly require no complement, and Gentle Giant would not have embarked on this enterprise without the full blessing of the masters at Weta Collectibles. But given that blessing, Gentle Giant is proud to announce that it will be creating new collectible products based on its take of the now-classic franchise. Among the new products will be an animated-style maquette line, similar in look and feel to Gentle Giant’s previous animated releases in the Star Wars line. This animated look is being co-developed by New Line and Gentle Giant Studios. Look for the first releases in Fall 2006.

I liked what GG has done with Harry Potter, and the new Ani-Star Wars figures look good. So I'll most likely be buying these.

Viking28 said:
New "Ring Bearers" and animated resin collectibles.

Gentle Giant Studios is keeping the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy alive with new resin collectibles for 2006. While no photography was allowed at Toy Fair, GG did provide a glimpse at two new projects:

* RING BEARERS will star the likes of Aragorn (on display as a prototype), Frodo, Sam and Gimli as resin busts with a keepsake drawer imbedded in the base. Each approximately $50 piece will also include light and sound effects.

* LOTR ANIMATED MAQUETTES will combine the look of Lucas' "Clone Wars" with characters from Middle-earth. Each GG animated-style sculpture will be approved by New Line before release. Saruman (as an unpainted prototype) was the first on display and by golly, the look looks good. Each piece will retail for around $80 each.

Ok, now I'm not so interested anymore. Good thing, too, as I've got a ton of SS pre-orders. Close call.

I just don't know about this animated lotr stuff.
But the Saruman anime prototype was supposedly at Toyfair along with the realistic Aragorn bust....SO....

ANYONE GOT ANY PICS??????????

FrodoEyes said:
I'm confused......are these full polystone statues? Are Weta involved? What else are they planning besides the animated stuff?

Right now they are going to do animated statue/maquette type items. They will also be doing busts. Weta isn't involved as far as I can tell just that they gave their blessing for GG to do LOTR items.

jlcmsu said:
I'm not sure actually. I thought the busts for SW where 1/6 so I don't think so.

The Sideshow Weta busts are 1/4 scale actually. The statues are 1/6 scale - except for some expensive beasts...

goliath said:
The Sideshow Weta busts are 1/4 scale actually. The statues are 1/6 scale - except for some expensive beasts...

I know that. I was talking about the GG SW busts not the SSW ones. :)

Back