Gentle Giant to do Lord of the Rings full-poly's?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New "Ring Bearers" and animated resin collectibles.

Gentle Giant Studios is keeping the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy alive with new resin collectibles for 2006. While no photography was allowed at Toy Fair, GG did provide a glimpse at two new projects:

* RING BEARERS will star the likes of Aragorn (on display as a prototype), Frodo, Sam and Gimli as resin busts with a keepsake drawer imbedded in the base. Each approximately $50 piece will also include light and sound effects.

* LOTR ANIMATED MAQUETTES will combine the look of Lucas' "Clone Wars" with characters from Middle-earth. Each GG animated-style sculpture will be approved by New Line before release. Saruman (as an unpainted prototype) was the first on display and by golly, the look looks good. Each piece will retail for around $80 each.

I'm not sure what to think now reading this. Gonna have to see them before I go one way or the other.

Is there something wrong with that maquette?? Why are his pants up to his chest?? Animated Maquette's eh? Don't have any Gentle Giant pieces and hopefully won't my girlfriend wouldn't allow it. :D

Viking28 said:
* LOTR ANIMATED MAQUETTES will combine the look of Lucas' "Clone Wars" with characters from Middle-earth. Each GG animated-style sculpture will be approved by New Line before release. Saruman (as an unpainted prototype) was the first on display and by golly, the look looks good. Each piece will retail for around $80 each.

Golly, that sounds like an awful idea.

jlcmsu said:
You've seen the GG SW ones right?
Oh, I know what the Star Wars animated maquettes look like, but there is no animated LOTR to draw from, and I'm not sure how it will turn out. I'll just have to wait and see. Of course, if anyone can pull it off it is probably GG (based on their track record with that sort of piece).

Yeah, should be interesting to see what they do. However, from the sounds of it I'll be passing.

That sounds like it could be anywhere from funky to ghastly. :) I think I'll be another of the 'wait and see' crowd. I'll definitely be interested to see what they look like, though.

Viking28 said:
* RING BEARERS will star the likes of Aragorn (on display as a prototype), Frodo, Sam and Gimli as resin busts with a keepsake drawer imbedded in the base. Each approximately $50 piece will also include light and sound effects.

Sounds kind of tacky to me. Do we really need a noisy illuminated Gimli that will hold our pocket change?

I think the LOTR animated maquettes are a great idea. Looking forward to these very much. If they look anything like the Clone Wars series I am there. :banana

I like the idea, but I'll have to wait and see. I think GG did a great job on the new OT maquettes and there wasn't any source material to pull those from either so I'm confident these could turn out well. I think a Legolas, Ringwraith, & Sauron would be awesome.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I think the LOTR animated maquettes are a great idea. Looking forward to these very much. If they look anything like the Clone Wars series I am there. :banana
We seem outnumbered, but I LOVE this idea too!
I can't wait to see....scratch that, to GET these!

I wouldn't buy any of this stuff, but I bet the LOTR animated maquettes will be fairly popular.

The CW maquettes were based on a series, but I really don't understand the new SW and LOTR animated maquettes. I had a full set minus Padme, and I don't regret selling them at all.

Sir Tristram said:
We seem outnumbered, but I LOVE this idea too!
I can't wait to see....scratch that, to GET these!

You and me both buddy. :cool:

Just wait until someone sees something like a Legolas shooting an arrow in a dynamic pose like that Fett maquette from Toy Fair...some folks will change their tune just like when the CW maquettes became popular. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll be tempted by the busts, since I love the GG Star Wars and Potter busts. *must resist*

"Ring bearers"...heheheheh...come with little drawers to...BEAR YOUR RINGS!

Back