Galadhrim Archer Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguru1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Click on the images for hi-res versions.

Conventional wisdom assumes that things improve over time and one would expect a mass produced statue made some 8 years ago wouldn’t be as good as a recently released statue. While in theory this holds true, with some great new statues being produced lately, that doesn’t mean a statue from some time ago can’t equal or even better many of today’s top releases. The Galadhrim Archer from the Lord of the Rings as produced by Weta and distributed by Sideshow is such statue.

Packaging – 3 and a half stars

The classic usual packaging for all of the old SSW LOTR items, with a full colour art box showing the Archer and information about the Galadhrim’s arrival at Helms Deep. Inside is the usual stryofoam protective packaging, though there is very little room to spare, the total length isn’t much more then the height of the main statue part.
Speaking of parts, this one comes in a few of them. Sitting in various compartments is the base, the two half arrows that rest in the quiver, the bow/hand and full length arrow which is sitting under the main statue. All of these parts are wrapped up in tissue paper, with some soft foam in a couple of places to provide a buffer.
For the most part it all seems to do the job, other then I think a spot on the left shoulder blade. I can’t be sure, but mine did look fairly new, like it hasn’t been on display much at all and spent a lot of its life in the box. As such, I think the left shoulder blade is a major ‘rest’ point and over time it can produce a rub spot.

Sculpture – 4 and a half stars

By its very nature, armour has smooth curved surfaces with as much clean and sharp detail that is chosen to be added. The Elven armour has a lot of design detail, all of which is captured in very sharp and well defined lines. But it doesn’t even stop there, with the various belt buckles nicely sculpted and extra tiny little size adjustment holes on the belt around his waist. The bow is also well sculpted, even though it’s not made of polystone like the rest of the statue and flexes as you pull the real string into the draw hand.
If one was to somewhat nick-pick, the helmet design motifs aren’t exactly as sharp as the lower half of the armour. This doesn’t mean it’s bad, just not as well done as other parts of the statue.

Paint Application – 4 and a half stars

Both smooth and subtle, clean and sharp with nice muted colours in some areas and bright but not too shiny highlights around the various armour parts. The armour looks like real metal that has been worn for years (or centuries, as the case may be), while being well looked after. Equally, the numerous belts look like leather and even the hair is clean without any blobby spots. If there was a minor let down, it would be the cloak on his back. While it has a bit of texture to it and the sculpting looks good, it just doesn’t quite capture the look of cloth, which is of course a common problem with trying to portray fabric in a statue.

Extras – N/A

Nothing to really report here, you either get the full complete statue or you don’t, in which case I guess you purchased an empty box.

Final Word

For a non main, no name character that doesn’t appear at Helms Deep in the books, one could be forgiven for not really making the Galadhirm Archer a purchase priority. I myself focused on getting the Fellowship along with a few other main characters and was only going to worry about the archer if it was easy and cheap enough and if not, than it didn’t matter too much. What a silly mistake that would have been, to miss out on such a fantastic statue. In many ways, not being a named character has helped the archer, rather than focusing on a likeness the statue just captures the amazing design work of the armour and overall look of the Elves in superb detail.
So, for anyone on the fence about the Galadhirm Archer, get off it (the fence that is) and try to secure one, you won’t be disappointed.

Packaging – 3 and a half stars
Sculpture – 4 and a half stars
Paint Application – 4 and a half stars
Extras – N/A

Overall - 4 and a half stars (out of 5)

Name: Galadhrim Archer
Manufacturer: Sideshow/Weta
Edition Size: 2000
Price: $125
Availability: Sold Out
Distributors: Sideshow (www.sideshowcollectibles.com), Weta (www.wetanz.com)

Nice blast from the past. One of my favorite Sideshow Weta pieces, but the fin on the helm is extremely fragile.

Too true about that fin on the helm! I love the review, and I hope that you cover some of the other past Weta pieces. The sculpts and paints have such a different character than how things are being produced these days, and almost feel like figures stepping out of a fairy tale.

Thanks all. Yes, the helm fin is rather thin, mine has a very minor bend in it, but other then that, it's all OK. Mine you, given just how little extra room the packaging has between the top of the fin and the box, it's not very surprising that they do tend to get broken in shipping.
Other then that, even tho it is rather old now, they really did do an outstanding job on it, compared to then and now. In many ways, it takes my Serenity BDR to find better sculpt detail and better paint work.

I'm hoping to do more reviews, both old and new stuff.

Nice piece. I had it back in the day. The one thing I noticed on some of the SSW pieces look at some of my photos was how much detail there isnt in some of the sculpts. The outfits yes but the faces not so much.

Anyone knows where I can find this guy?

I've been searching for this guy for months and added him on my search favourites on Ebay to no avail.

I think that price is fair. Considering that WETA no longer makes these and its tough to find these for sale. I'm kicking myself for not buying this one when it was out..that and the original Balrog =-P

balrog i understand, but dont see what the big deal is with those low quality paint apps side characters, why pay $400 for them?

only one i want is sam and the horse because of the pose.

at least we got ringwraith out of this whole thing, the predator guys including myself are very pissed off they didnt release the wolf lsf even though it was part of the release calendar preview. :mad:

The paint apps on that statue are fine. I had it at one time back in the day. People pay $400 because its an awesome piece and made by SS and Weta which means a lot to most of us actual LOTR fans.

The paint apps on that statue are fine. I had it at one time back in the day. People pay $400 because its an awesome piece and made by SS and Weta which means a lot to most of us actual LOTR fans.

Agreed :clap, the Archer has some of the very best paint of the entire line. :lecture

I miss the good ol' days. :monkey1

There's nothing low quality about the overall paint apps on my Archer. I'm sure some may not be as good, being all hand painted, but mine is nicely done.
While $400 maybe a bit much, but remember that's in the UK, so tax can add a fair bit to the cost, they are also rather rare to come by now days, unless one has too, very few current owners would part with them. If nothing else, it shows the fantastic design work that Daniel did on the armour.

balrog i understand, but dont see what the big deal is with those low quality paint apps side characters, why pay $400 for them?

Have you actually owned this statue?

If not why say it has low quality paint apps?

This is a stunning looking statue, very dynamic and large, and just *screams* Tolkien.

This statue is awesome. I used to have one and I would say it was one of the better offering from Weta in terms of quality and design. Other than the one closed eye. :nana:

Back